Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot tries to exit at every right lane exit opportunity (SoCal)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WRT the car trying to exit -- I wonder if that is the result of the way the camera sees the lines. Maybe it tries to follow the lane, and if the lines get confusing to it, then it follows the line it can see the best, which is usually the solid line on the shoulder side. Then, it picks up a solid line on the left side (of the exit) and now has a great set of lines to follow -- solid on both sides!

Has anybody just let the car do its thing, and see if it exits? Or does it realize its mistake and go back to the correct course? (I realize this is a question coming from a non-Tesla owner and it would be tough to just let the car plow into the guardrail in the name of science -- please don't do that)

If one listens to Elon's press conference audio description, it seems that they are relying on the high-precision GPS maps to solve this problem, when the camera data are ambiguous. So supposedly, by driving past that exit and correcting the car's behaviour, you have contributed to building the map that defines the through-traffic lane.

What will be really cool is for those of you who commute on he same freeways/highways every day, to see if one day the car just stops trying to take the exit!

Last edited:
Drove four hours worth of northern New Hampshire and Vermont interstate today and it was my first chance to significantly try out the autopilot.

It is definitely beta. What I found driving at the speed limit in the right hand lane the whole way was that the issue described in this thread subject depends on the specific lane markings for each exit. About 70% of the exits had the solid white right line curve away following the exit, and no markings across the middle of the new exit lane, then, on the far side of the exit lane, there were new white solid lines starting in a v with one part being the left line of the new exit lane and the other part being the continuation of the interstate right lane's right side line. In every occurrence of this configuration, the autopilot attempted to take the exit, regardless of whether there was a car in sight in the lane ahead of me or not. The only variant of this configuration I wasn't able to test was closely following a car because they were generally going faster than the speed limit.

The other exit configuration, which I saw about 30% of the time was mostly the same, but with a small dotted line crossing through the new exit lane and continuing the interstate right hand lane right line marking until it met up with the new solid white line after the exit. In this configuration, the car sometimes hesitated a bit, but it was always able to keep to the right hand lane and continue travelling straight.

One experiment I tried that successfully kept it in lane when passing an exit without the dashed right side line was to turn on the left turn signal for a moment just as the right side line curved away toward the exit. This caused the car to stay toward the left side of the right lane in preparation for changing lanes. This method did not work if there was a car to my left that would prevent starting a lane change, and if I was too close to the left lane marking or if I held the turn signal too long and the car began to exit my current lane toward the left one (i.e. it crossed the line) this method resulted in either fully changing lanes to the left or in the car jerking back into the right lane or giving up entirely and cancelling autopilot. When I timed it correctly though, it was slightly better than just stiff-arming the autopilot to avoid the exit then re-enabling it once the exit was past.

I consider this to be the biggest failing of autopilot so far, and if I were making the call, I would not have wanted to release it as beta with this particular flaw. This is interstate driving in clear weather and good lane markings. It should not be forcing the driver to wrestle or disable it every mile as the next exit comes up.

I also feel it has a pretty straightforward solution. The autopilot should prioritize the left lane marking over the right lane marking, especially when it can tell it is in the right-most lane, and especially if it detects the lane is suddenly getting wider.
Vice-versa, when it can detect it is in the left most lane it should probably prioritize the right side line to avoid following left exits.

The challenge is a one lane interstate with exits on either side. In this case, I imagine it might be able to rely on "connecting the dots" by trying to see if the lane is widening, trying to see if there is a v continuation of the solid line further ahead, relying on map data to determine if there is an exit here.

At the very least, letting the driver nudge it into staying straight without having to wrestle the autopilot off then re-enable it two seconds later would be a much better user experience.

I put about 40 hwy miles on using AP today. On the freeway it worked great for me. No exit issues. On a surface street with instersecting roads with broken lines at the intersection it tried to pull to the right when passing. Not the intended use for now, I get that.
I have experienced the same on Michigan surface streets. The AP wants to take me right where there is a marked exit lane. Perhaps giving more weight to the drivers side lane edge marker would help but I am sure the Tesla engineers will figure it out with all of the crowd source data they are getting from us.

Last edited:
Drove four hours worth of northern New Hampshire and Vermont interstate today and it was my first chance to significantly try out the autopilot.

Nice post and thanks for the information. I was distracted by remembering the last time I drove through New Hampshire and Vermont, which was probably 25 years ago. I don't think there was 4 hours of Interstate to drive on then.

Glad they built a test track for you! Looking forward to visiting again soon.

At the very least, letting the driver nudge it into staying straight without having to wrestle the autopilot off then re-enable it two seconds later would be a much better user experience.

My experience was exactly as you stated. The dashed lines used on I-93 to account for rush hour breakdown lane use seem to help define the current right lane and kept the software from becoming confused. I agree that guiding the cars path shouldn't disengage the system.

So with AP on the car often veers into a freeway exit lane when that is not the drivers intent, but when the driver indicates their intent to exit by activating the turn signal the car doesn't take the exit lane?

I suspect the signal doesn't affect the car's decision at all, it either prefers to take the exit or stay on the freeway depending on how it reads the road; it thinks it is staying on the road. But I haven't tested enough to know for sure.

About two hours ago I completed a 450 mile drive from Denver to Albuquerque. Used AP for 95% of the drive. I would estimate that the car attempted to take the exit off ramp approximately 20-25% of the time, and there happen to be a few exits between Denver and Albuquerque! It was startling at first (I may have yelled something bad), but as I recognized the car's infatuation with exit ramps it became an easy phenomenon to anticipate and I'd simply take control of the steering for a second right before the car strayed off course. The navigational error became even simpler to anticipate by watching the blue lines that overlay the grey lines of the on the cruise control display. As the car loses track of which lines it is supposed to be following, the blue overlay goes back to grey. It often loses only one of the lines. You can observe the car trying to discern which line to follow as the right line turns grey while the left line remains blue. In many instances, after a second or two the car recovers the appropriate lines and continues along the proper trajectory. But in many instances the car seems to search for that right line as the right line is slipping further to the right (due to the exit ramp), and the car chooses poorly. And then it freaks out, flashes a red warning that tells you to take control of your car, you save your bacon with a deft steering correction, and you don't experience the 5 star crash ratings first hand. Yeah, it's a little scary.
The car also loses the lines and kicks itself abruptly out of AP when the camera loses sight of the lines during a rapid ascent and descent of a short, but steep series of rolling rises on the road, particularly if there is a curve accompanying the rolling rises.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and Nav had nothing to do with it. The car was set for my home in Albuquerque, so the exits it was attempting to take made no sense.

Despite these AP goofs, I boasted to my wife when I got home that this was the most amazing innovation in automobiles since they came out with a pure EV that can go 0-60 mph in 2.8 seconds. :smile:

I've had a few times where it tried to exit me to the right even on smaller roads where AP was working very well, and I hypothesize it's when it's locked onto a car rather than the lines in the road. I'd love some actual factual information to back that up, but not sure where to find it. Until then, I'll keep experimenting for Tesla.

This is from a post on the User interface page, thought it would be good info for this thread.
Later today I began to experiment a little bit and discovered some new tactics:
7. Coming up on an unmarked (with street stripes) exit- holding the steering wheel firmly but with pressure, NOT actual movement, usually keep everything normal;
8. On all curves, but most pronounced on long sweeping curves, auto-steer makes a continuing series of small turns, straightens and turns again, producing a jerky turning process.
8. Upon that discovery I tried stabilizing the auto-steer with light pressure when it vacillated on curves. That worked.

My experience has been similar to what others are reporting. If an exit is marked solely by a solid line, the car wants to exit.

However, if the exit has a dashed line across the exit following the travel lane, the car doesn't follow the solid line exiting, but stays on the road following the dashed line instead.

My impression is that the autostear function is confused by lines that diverge. If there is any kind of marking consistent with travel continuing down the highway, it seems to do okay.

My experience is that the car sees the lane widening and keeps itself centered. This made me think the car was trying to exit. With my hands on the wheel I let it do its thing and almost every single time it pulled back left once it picked up line for the splitting lane. The only scenario it didn't correct itself was when the road was curving left and the exit looked like a straight shot.

My car doesn't have AP, but a co-worker's car does... did an interesting test this afternoon:

Going down the highway at around 65 MPH, the AP wanted to exit at every potential exit, when driving in the right lane (not exit exclusive one). A gentle touch of the steering wheel kept it on the freeway, after some testing of course, but an interesting behavior.

Confirmed. This happened to me.

Autopilot took the exit instead of staying on the freeway - YouTube

Interesting

Not sure what could be the cause for that kind of behaviour of the Model S.

Maybe you should inform Tesla about this?

Did you set the navigation to a certain destionation, or didn't you use the navigation at all?

I experience the same thing when driving on freeways with mine in Autopilot, from what I can see it seems that the camera is tracking the right side lane marker and when you approach a off ramp the line usually follows the off ramp lane leaving a gap on the freeway. The camera then seems to be biased towards following the right lane marker causing the model S to veer to right and requiring me to correct the wheel to keep the car going on the freeway instead of following the exit off ramp.