Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot trying to kill me in V9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's odd that V9 is doing this when V8 didn't, but as others have said, EAP is not supposed to be used on these kinds of roads yet.

And I was about to report how it did this less with V9 on my road where there are yellow center line breaks (and corresponding to cross-road intersection). It used to go all over but it's way better now.

Who knows, play it safe out there. FYI 2018.42.2, don't know about earlier versions.

So GOOD preliminary news.

I got the 42.2 update last night. Drove this area of road that's in my video. And walla no swerve. Not even a slight swerve. PERFECTLY STRAIGHT.

Will test some more.

NoAP BTW is ridiculous! So smart. Way not perfect but such a giant leap forward!

• Informative
Reactions: Bogobec and Matias
@Electroman . Yes by ridiculous I mean good. Just did some nice highway driving using it. Really really advanced. Still far from perfect. Kept asking if I want to go to middle lane when left lane was going faster. Switches to slow lane a little too far before the intended turn. Accelerates onto highway too slow. Doesn't adjust speed limit upto highway speed sometimes.

All small issues that I'm CONFIDENT will be fixed soon.

The idea and how smart it is, that's what is incredible. Really having fun with it!

I'm terrified about NoAP at this point in a way that I would not have been two months ago. Since upgrading to v9, autopilot on my Model X has been borderline erratic. I'm getting three or four "Take Over Immediately" errors per day, versus maybe one a month prior to the "upgrade". In many cases, this has occurred while literally stopped in bumper-to-bumper traffic, simply because a car came around my side.

And after the 42.2 upgrade, AP has gotten even worse. My car is now reproducibly driving right across the double yellow in one spot where the lane markings are perfectly clear, and right off the side of the road in another spot where the lane markings are perfectly clear. Worse, in that spot where it drives off the road, it aims straight towards a telephone pole only a few feet away, which means you have maybe half a second to yank it back into the lane or you're dead. (To reproduce this, drive on Ridgecrest drive in Los Gatos away from Highway 9, towards downtown.)

Also, at one point, I got an "Autopilot disabled. Front radar obstructed" error that required me to reboot the console while driving to get autopilot functionality back.

From what I'm seeing, the autopilot functionality in version 9 is much, much worse than it was in version 8. At least in version 8, the freakouts were predictable just by looking at the road, and were relatively rare. In version 9... not so much.

Also, after a couple of hundred miles driven, it still can't enable NoAP, saying that the cameras are only 98% calibrated. It has been at 98% for over a hundred miles.

Something is not right here.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Agreed, with that calibration error, I would take it in to a service center and see what they say. It might be a problem with your car.

Might be. That said, I'm stuck on 42.2, and 42.3 was apparently intended to fix camera calibration failures on some newer vehicles, so there's a decent chance that all of these issues I'm having are a camera calibration bug.

Either way, I have the new enhanced alarm package on order, and that will require installation at a service center, so if I haven't gotten a software update to 42.3 or higher by the time they install that, I'll ask them to keep it a little longer and A. look at the cameras and figure out what's wrong while they're in there, B. replace the falcon wing door sensor that some days stops the door early even with nothing around for 30 feet, and C. replace the screen whose lamination glue apparently reacted to UV and turned yellow (the infamous yellow border problem).

After a good few weeks on V9 42.3 (never had the earlier versions of V9) I would say AP is definitely an improvement over V8. Apart from the obvious changes to the dash display (which is a bit flaky at times with dancing trucks as you pass by them!), auto-lane change now works on a much wider variety of dual lane roads where it was previously locked out. For me personally that was a big deal as our local major dual carriageway was previously locked out and so I had to suffer the bing-bong-bong-bing routine every time I had to change lanes! But most importantly from a safety POV it has finally lost the urge to swerve into left hand (UK RHD car) junctions! Now ignores them as it did in earlier V8 builds. Everything else is very similar to later V9 builds, warts and all.