Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot: where's the bicycles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the last several updates, the autopilot now shows garbage cans, detailed shapes of cars, traffic cones, streetlights -- and their state ....
and every single bicyclist shows up not at all. Granted, I only checked this a few times in a fair case (7 or so) .... but: on the screen it seems to have no knowledge of the bicyclist on the RHS of the road (in a bike lane, or large shoulder). As a bicyclist , should I retain my paranoia?

FSD beta has been pretty good around bicycles. Latest one is more skittish than ever in terms of passing them (prefers to slow down behind them). Autopilot probably only cares about them when they’re identified to be in the same lane as you, so I’m guessing it’s just a display issue - the same way it is not showing cars outside of adjacent lanes without fsd beta

OP is asking about standard AP and NOT FSD Beta. Does standard AP even show bicycles also (I have Beta so not sure)? Also OP says it is showing streetlights. How is it showing streetlights or polls?

Also AP isn't designed or intended to be used around VRUs.

Last edited:
The road I drive on everyday is a popular bicycle route, often with groups of many bikes.Before FSD beta bikes would show occasionally with or without autopilot.
With FSD beta on or off bicycles are shown most of the time. I like that FSD beta slows sometimes and nudges over when bikes are present.