Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot won't work- Cameras require alignment message.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Earlier in the week downloaded the latest maps I assume as could then suddenly engage navigate on autopilot which had been greyed out for a few weeks. Running 2019.16.3.2 . Nav on autopilot and autopilot ran a few times after it installed the maps.

Then suddenly the car stopped detecting any other cars, albeit it detects some lane markings.

Autopilot does not work. No steering wheel icons and when you try and engage it, it says the cameras need aligning in the instrument cluster.

First time it did it, I turnedoff Sentry and did a deep reset. Started working the next morning

Then when leaving work again, same issue. No cars detected and says cameras require alignment. Tried resetting 3-4 times but still won't work.

Anyone else had this message?

I haven't had any warning messages, but I've noticed recently with the latest software that AP sometimes takes a little longer to initiate when setting off from home. Yesterday for example the AP icons didn't appear on the dash until I'd driven a mile down the road. Maybe there is some calibration or something going on? Nav on AP is working too. I'm also on 2019.16.3.2 with Sentry active except for home. However I have switched off dash cam while driving as it was causing issues with Spotify streaming.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Hi - old thread but in case anyone else has the problem. I have a 2020 Model S (that I just picked up yesterday) and I got the exact same behavior as originally described today. I have an appointment for the service center next Monday (6/8) and I'll update this thread with the resolution.

Here's what my dash shows:
IMG_20200602_143627.jpg

A little frustrating to have this go wrong on day 2 of ownership, but I suppose it's better than 2 days after the warranty expires!

-craigger.

You have to drive your car for up to 100 miles to allow them the calibrate although many do calibrate much sooner than that.

Have the cameras calibrated - iirc on our Model 3, there was a ring around the autopilot icon indicating calibration progress.

You have to drive your car for up to 100 miles to allow them the calibrate although many do calibrate much sooner than that.

Have the cameras calibrated - iirc on our Model 3, there was a ring around the autopilot icon indicating calibration progress.

Yes, calibration was complete and I was using FSD and Autopilot the day prior. I set up an appointment for mobile service but they said they needed to fix it in the SC. I'll update this thread with the outcome.

Reactions: MrBadger and Durzel
craigger - any update on the outcome? I have a 2020 Model S that I just picked up on Monday and I'm having the same issue. Calibration was complete and FSD and Autopilot were working fine for one full day. Tuesday, it stopped working. I have a mobile service appointment scheduled for next Tuesday.

craigger - any update on the outcome? I have a 2020 Model S that I just picked up on Monday and I'm having the same issue. Calibration was complete and FSD and Autopilot were working fine for one full day. Tuesday, it stopped working. I have a mobile service appointment scheduled for next Tuesday.

It ended up being the front camera alignment. A bit of a hiccup - I got it 'fixed' and had to wait for the camera calibration to complete. Had the same issue - wasn't happy. Called the SC and they scheduled me next day - went through another camera calibration and it has been fine ever since. I'm pretty sure they're going to re-schedule you for the service center as I don't think they have the right equipment to do the alignment with the mobile service.

Hope it all works out for you.

-craigger.

It ended up being the front camera alignment. A bit of a hiccup - I got it 'fixed' and had to wait for the camera calibration to complete. Had the same issue - wasn't happy. Called the SC and they scheduled me next day - went through another camera calibration and it has been fine ever since. I'm pretty sure they're going to re-schedule you for the service center as I don't think they have the right equipment to do the alignment with the mobile service.

-craigger.
Thanks, I appreciate the info. I'll post an update with the outcome.

Reactions: craigger

-craigger.

You were right. They re-scheduled me for the service center. It ultimately ended up being a problem with the front camera alignment which they were able to retrofit with a new mount plate. It was at the service center for 2.5 days, but once they started working on it, it only took them about 4 hours to diagnose and service the issue. The first two days the car was just sitting and waiting for an available technician. They were pretty backlogged here in Austin.

From the invoice:
Diagnosed and Completed Pre-Calibration Forward Facing Camera. Performed Forward Facing Camera Drive Cycle Calibration. Performed Retrofit 2nd Generation Autopilot Forward Facing Camera Pitch Carrier. Verified Proper Operation.

Correction: Pitch Carrier - Camera - Forward Facing - 2nd Generation Autopilot

Parts Replaced or Added: TRIPLE CAM RR VIEW MIRROR MOUNT PLATE -1.2 DEGREE(1126328-02-A)

• Love
Reactions: Wesmosis
You were right. They re-scheduled me for the service center. It ultimately ended up being a problem with the front camera alignment which they were able to retrofit with a new mount plate. It was at the service center for 2.5 days, but once they started working on it, it only took them about 4 hours to diagnose and service the issue. The first two days the car was just sitting and waiting for an available technician. They were pretty backlogged here in Austin.

From the invoice:
Diagnosed and Completed Pre-Calibration Forward Facing Camera. Performed Forward Facing Camera Drive Cycle Calibration. Performed Retrofit 2nd Generation Autopilot Forward Facing Camera Pitch Carrier. Verified Proper Operation.

Parts Replaced or Added: TRIPLE CAM RR VIEW MIRROR MOUNT PLATE -1.2 DEGREE(1126328-02-A)

Glad you got it sorted out! Although 2.5 days waiting before they even looked at it is pretty unreal. I hope they gave you a loaner in the meatime.

• Love
Reactions: Wesmosis

-craigger.

Thanks for your update, I'm having the same message after 3rd party windshield replacement!

From the invoice:

Thanks for the followup.

As an aside, I had a similar problem with my car twice - it turned out to be a problem arising from leaving the car parked facing towards the setting/rising sun. Evidently, continued exposure to direct sunlight at a particular angle can throw the sensors out for a while.

Each time, mine managed to come to its senses after a short while and a couple of re-starts.

I have seen reference to little sun shades being used while parked up to prevent this.

unfortunately calibration from service menu from latest firmware doesn't solve cameras alignment issues, at least in my case. And there is no SC in my country so it's gonna be quite tricky to solve the problem... I believe there is a special procedure done with Toolbox and some testing image. Will see..