Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm picking this car up next Saturday.
My invoice says 'AutoPilot Included'. I seem to recall when I placed the order that AutoPilot was an extra? I presume either the AutoPilot Included' is either a reduced fudnction AutoPilot or a trial period?

I love how they make such confusion when they call that bog standard active lane assistant and distance assisted cruise control as AutoPilot.

Moreover it is annoying that it is somewhat behinds other manufacturers

I love how they make such confusion when they call that bog standard active lane assistant and distance assisted cruise control as AutoPilot.

Moreover it is annoying that it is somewhat behinds other manufacturers
Is it? I don't use it often and have not had another car with with anything similar but I thought it was considered to be quite good aside from Phantom braking. Which I appreciate is a big deal but I had read some stuff that indicated that was an unintended side effect of the system actually being more reactive to conditions than most so potentially safer but I don't have a citation for that.

Is it? I don't use it often and have not had another car with with anything similar but I thought it was considered to be quite good aside from Phantom braking. Which I appreciate is a big deal but I had read some stuff that indicated that was an unintended side effect of the system actually being more reactive to conditions than most so potentially safer but I don't have a citation for that.
Yes.

All manufacturers have these Driver Assistant features. Some of them have it as standard, some as optional extra. And by assistant I mean specifically "Active Lane Assistant" and TACC.

After all the standard AP in Teslas is nothing more than those two bits combined + some collision prevention (hence phantom breaking).

The main difference is (and that why other implementations are far more superior) is that:
  1. Enabling Lane Assistant is silent with other manufacturers and no annoying dong is heard every time you enable it
  2. You DO NOT HAVE TO RE-ENABLE IT EVERY TIME YOU CHANGE A LANE. It just starts working as soon as it detects road markings again
Therefore it is better implementation than Tesla

Reactions: M3LR21
by assistant I mean specifically "Active Lane Assistant" and TACC.

will those other brands (i..e which include lane-assist as standard) drive along my local A-Road, come into a 40 and slow down (admittedly after it passes the 40 sign and I have by then already got a ticket!), take the double bend in that village, and when they come out of the 40 speed back up again?

(I have no idea what the status is of other brands, so this a question for my curiosity)

Yes.

All manufacturers have these Driver Assistant features. Some of them have it as standard, some as optional extra. And by assistant I mean specifically "Active Lane Assistant" and TACC.

After all the standard AP in Teslas is nothing more than those two bits combined + some collision prevention (hence phantom breaking).

The main difference is (and that why other implementations are far more superior) is that:
  1. Enabling Lane Assistant is silent with other manufacturers and no annoying dong is heard every time you enable it
  2. You DO NOT HAVE TO RE-ENABLE IT EVERY TIME YOU CHANGE A LANE. It just starts working as soon as it detects road markings again
Therefore it is better implementation than Tesla
I have driven using adaptive cruise control with active lane assist in a number of different brands: Kia, Hyundai, Volvo and VW and none are as good as autopilot at all.

will those other brands (i..e which include lane-assist as standard) drive along my local A-Road, come into a 40 and slow down (admittedly after it passes the 40 sign and I have by then already got a ticket!), take the double bend in that village, and when they come out of the 40 speed back up again?

(I have no idea what the status is of other brands, so this a question for my curiosity)

And neither does my Model 3.

One of my biggest concerns is how different each set of circumstances is handled in a completely different way. I wouldn't even try autosteer on an A-road now its so bad when tried under limited set of conditions. Not surprising that Tesla tell you not to use it in that scenario.

Last edited:
Reactions: M3LR21
My experience is that cruise control (TACC) does not obey speed limit changes at all
Autopilot does obey speed limit changes if engaged at the speed limit not current speed AND without engaging TACC first
Having seen a speed limit, it‘s always late invoking a speed decrease or increase
outside of dual carriageways/motorways it does not slow for bends and isn’t intended for 2-way A and B roads

And neither does my Model 3.

Hmmm ... I wonder why that is? as it has not been my experience. Perhaps worrying if there is unexplained variability in the fleet? Is it at all likely that sensor might need adjustment? (that would worry me to - if sensor adjustment could cause that and car not detect a fault)

Dunno about all speed limits in all situations. I don't use AP on minor roads, except for my "test route" near here, about 4 miles of well marked A-road which goes through a two speed limits (a 40MPH and then a 40-30-40). Apart from only slowing down after entering the speed limit it handles it very well, including a couple of tight double-bends.

The only times I have taken over is when something is sticking out from the verge - a tree recently blown down in the storm which has been cut very close to the road edge, and e.g. a van parked mostly on the curb

I've driven that route in Model-S, M3 LR and MY LR, with a mix of FSD, EAP and bog-standard AP and all behaved the same.

Autopilot does obey speed limit changes if engaged at the speed limit not current speed AND without engaging TACC first

Interesting. I'll try that.

outside of dual carriageways/motorways it does not slow for bends

I think that is hit and miss. I have some where it slows (before it gets there), and some where it slows only when it is in the bend (if approach speed had been too much I would have taken over). I haven't tried a right angle bend where the approach is national speed limit ... can't think of one near here to try.

If AP is following traffic then of course it is limited to speed of cars in front, which helps.

But, as said, not fit for use on minor roads, Tesla don't sanction it, and I've only used it to test what the status is. I struggle to convince myself that even when it is "perfect" I would be comfortable using it on minor roads; they are such a small percentage of my, personal, driving. Other than nip-to-shops most of my journeys are dual carriageway, and on those I appreciate the significant benefit from AP reducing driver-workload.

The one in my wife’s BMW does. It initially uses a database and reads signs such as variable speed limits and puts up the new speed limit and a distance and counts you down to it and if lower than the current limit, slows you down so you’re doing the correct speed before you enter. The TACC part is way more reliable, I don’t trust the Tesla to know the speed limit reliably.

Steering wise, the BMW system steers fine, there are some differences, the BMW system sometimes better than the Tesla, the Tesla sometimes better than the BMW. The BMW system is obviously a driver assist system in the way it communicates to you and the way you engage, override, can encourage it left or right when the lane divides etc. The tesla system copes with A roads a bit better. On a motorway to dual carriageway I’d say the BMW was better, primarily for dealing with variable speed limits and no phantom braking, they both steer fine pretty much all the time.

Tesla have more visuals like cones and maybe would drive better in roadworks, but I wouldn’t trust either system to do that. Both can see traffic lights, the tesla system better then the BMW. Roundabouts, both disengage, the BMW informs you it’s going to and counts you down.

In summary for me, BMW does what it’s trying to do and communicates much much better, Tesla doesn’t quite nail things, everything seems a work in progress, but it tries to do more.

Thanks George

Roundabouts, both disengage

I need to try that. My recollection was that Tesla didn't do anything for roundabouts (if on AP stop for the car in front etc. but when it goes onto the roundabout then "follow it" applied). But that may have been improved, and I've not re-tried it.

The one in my wife’s BMW does

Useful to hear the points you made, status of another brand, thanks. I agree with your "Tesla is work in progress / tries to do more"

The O/Ps comparison of AP & other brands was in relation to what came standard with the car. Was this an option on your wife's BMW?

primarily for dealing with variable speed limits

MobileEye did that, as I recollect, and I'm pretty sure I have had times with current model where physical signs on Motorway were handled (I probably never drove anything, at that time, with gantry heavy-traffic limits), but it certainly isn't doing that now - so I might be misremembering. Unless I'm confusing myself I think it (FSD) does read speed signs for road works on A-Roads. Next time I see one I'll recheck that.

Not sure if I’ve got a dudd car but I absolutely love the autosteer/AP/adaptive cruise control. Love it on larger A roads and motorways. Also it was great the other day when we hit some motorway traffic, it just kept on and I could relax. Not had any phantom breaking issues yet. I’m mindful of these and hence when passing larger vehicles, keeping foot on the pedal.

But, as said, not fit for use on minor roads, Tesla don't sanction it, and I've only used it to test what the status is. I struggle to convince myself that even when it is "perfect" I would be comfortable using it on minor roads; they are such a small percentage of my, personal, driving.
It's going to be a very very long time before FSD will be intelligent enough to deal with UK roads. I think many years. There is almost no consistency with our road design and often no rhyme or reason for some of the ridiculous layouts. Some junctions are so counter-intuitive where I live, human drivers have trouble with them (there are several T-junctions where the right of way has been changed to the right angle instead of the straight, for example). Also double mini roundabouts, road markings that look like roundabouts but actually aren't, cars parked all over the road limiting so many roads to single lane traffic, etc etc. We are a far cry from the wide, sensibly-laid-out roads of the US, with their consistent junction designs.

I'd guess we may get some kind of enhancement to Navigate on Autopilot which will allow driving on more trunk roads but will need a lot more time before any kind of driving in towns & cities.

I have my new car as of yesterday.
I set AP to "Speed Limit".

If I am driving on a dual carriage way it detects the 70mph sign, and I engage autopilot - all is good.
Then it detects the 50mph sign correctly, however the TACC/speed is still at 70mph. I can tap the speed limit logo and it will adjust the TACC speed. I thought that AP will automatically adjust when i detects speed limit signs.

What am I doing wrong?