Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing - what’s what it does. It sets at the current speed limit but doesn’t change unless you tap to tell it to. I think you can hold down on the right stalk to reset to current speed limit instead of tapping

I normally just flick the wheel - quick flick will judge it 5mph up/down so I’m soon adjusted to whatever new speed is needed.

It's going to be a very very long time before FSD will be intelligent enough to deal with UK roads. I think many years.

I am a software engineer, but not an AI expert, and as such I have no idea. Elon seems to think it is tomorrow ...

When Tesla fell out with MobileEye it took about 3 years until Tesla-AP caught up with original MobileEye version; reasonable functionality some time within that interval. Personally I think it is astounding that they could have achieved that in that time. I expect they had the benefit of shadow-mode to test out various experiments against the whole fleet, and had started DEV before the fall out ... but even so getting from standing-start to operational on dual-carriageway in a couple of years was impressive.

I think that the FSD Beta videos are very impressive in terms of the augmented display showing wireframe of what the car has interpreted, how quickly that happens (e.g. the moment that the cameras have sight of a side junction, and how far down that road they interpret the data). Plenty of "Car did something really really daft" as well. I have no wish to be an FSD beta tester.

Improvements in AI can be exponential, if/when that happens it will take folk by surprise. Either way, time will tell.

Then it detects the 50mph sign correctly, however the TACC/speed is still at 70mph

That's "motorway behaviour". No idea why that is different to other roads.

On non-dual carriageway it will react to speed zones - slow down on entry (AFTER passing the sign [more probably the map GPS location, which may be wrong]) and speed up when it comes out of the limit (provided speed was originally set higher - A/P was not selected WITHIN the limit)

(That's what my cars have always done, in other threads other posters so their cars don't do that, I dunno why)

Then it detects the 50mph sign correctly, however the TACC/speed is still at 70mph.
That's what TACC does. As has already been said, holding down the gear stalk half-way for two seconds changes speed to the currently recognized speed limit.

The Autopilot, however, works differently. It will lower your speed when recognizing a new speed limit. It will even raise the speed automatically when recognizing a higher limit, but only if you had already set it to this or a higher limit before during this Autopilot engagement.

That's what TACC does. As has already been said, holding down the gear stalk half-way for two seconds changes speed to the currently recognized speed limit.

The Autopilot, however, works differently. It will lower your speed when recognizing a new speed limit. It will even raise the speed automatically when recognizing a higher limit, but only if you had already set it to this or a higher limit before during this Autopilot engagement.
That's not my experience. In the UK it doesn't seem to adapt to any speed limit change of 50mph and above, but sometimes does below that. I don't think it;s a TACC (speed only, no steering in case anyone isn't familiar) v Autopilot thing.

Firstly, the good news for newcomers - EAP and FSD are software upgrades, so you could get them added at any point to your car. If you had used a driver assistance package from BMW and Volvo, you might prefer Enhanced Auto Pilot. However, EAP is more like a beginner learner driver than some sensors that could assist you. As a driver, EAP is hesitant and generally slow to react to changes, can pick up some speed changes but not all, and has a harsh braking style, especially on city roads and in poor visibility. Despite these flaws, EAP is relatively safe and can safely disengage and alert you when it needs help and is well worth the money for long motorway journeys.

Visual speed sign recognition is only enabled for "local roads". What Tesla means by "local roads" is anyone's guess (and certainly the term "local" is a misnomer), but in my experience, if NoA is available, then visual speed limit recognition is not active (although "fleet speed" is, so near to interchanges, off ramps etc), so the fallback (as is the case when visual speed recognition gets confused) is GPS which may be wrong or well out of date.

Stumbled on a video here that shows a number of examples of where it detects speed limits. It seems in UK:

- Single carriage way roads - detects speed limit changes and actually changes speed
- Dual Carriage way roads - detects speed limit changes but doesn't change. I'm not sure from the video if this was a map change or it genuinely read the speed limit as it looks like a temporary sign
- Motorways - doesn't even detect speed limit changes

It's also interesting comparison with the BMW system regarding communication. Will be interesting to see when they do the rain and night time videos, if they do. Side by side comparisons on the same road in similar weather are more telling than peoples gut feel.

I've found the Tesla speed limit detection pretty poor so far, and even worse than my ID.3 (which is saying something). At least the ID.3 would see signs on motorways where there's a variable speed limit or roadworks in place. I've not seen any instances at all of where the car actually reads signs rather than setting from map/GPS data. Though as posted above, it doesn't seem to do anything to update limits on dual carriageways or motorways.

The Tesla seems to set most speed limits correctly if the map of the area is up to date, but there are quite a few spots near me where road layouts have changed & it gets things wrong. There's also a section of dual carriageway in a local town centre with a 40 limit that the car thinks is 70 for some reason. That caught me out when I put the TACC on once...

I've not seen any instances at all of where the car actually reads signs rather than setting from map/GPS data

Might need FSD for that?

seems to set most speed limits correctly if the map of the area is up to date

I'm reasonably sure that some village speed limits have changed "instantly" on FSD cars as I passed them, but at a location a bit further up the road on non-FSD (e.g. from GPS database).

Never did a proper test though, so may be wrong.

Pretty sure that FSD displays all the wheelie-bins, and non-FSD not whereas both show cones ... I'm a bit iffy on whether that is specifically FSD too.

it doesn't seem to do anything to update limits on dual carriageways or motorways.

I have had times when it has done (OTA update version), including roadworks temporary signs (dunno about temporary gantry signs, don't think I had occasion to use a motorway that had them at that time), but not seen that for a while now.

a section of dual carriageway in a local town centre with a 40 limit that the car thinks is 70 for some reason. That caught me out when I put the TACC on once

What would be an interesting one to try on FSD / non-FSD - would confirm or refute my assumption.

I'm reasonably sure that some village speed limits have changed "instantly" on FSD cars as I passed them, but at a location a bit further up the road on non-FSD (e.g. from GPS database).
I find the speed limits on the screen change pretty much spot on where the sign is, but suspect that's more due to GPS data than reading the sign. I must admit the ID.3 was much better at it, as you'd get a warning a reasonable distance before the change & if on ACC the car would slow before the sign to the correct speed. I was quite surprised the Tesla software is so far behind in this regard. Unless, as you say, FSD has better behaviour & normal AP is dumbed down on purpose.

FSD has better behaviour & normal AP is dumbed down on purpose.

I'd need to find one near here that is known to be wrong on non-FSD ... can't think of any where location has been significantly wrong (e.g. GPS database error), but I'll look out for one and then try it with FSD. No longer got a plain AP car, only EAP ... and on this "FSD can do this" hypothesis maybe EAP would do too ...

LongShot: Could your map update be ages out of date? (And is the GPD database part of the annual map update, or is it separate / more frequent?

I don’t think there’s any evidence that the performance of features varies depending on pack, excluding the limited trial in the US. It’s just the feature count that changes. The Tesla in that video looks to have EAP or FSD and while it detected a speed limit on a dual carriageway, the car didn’t adapt to it leaving the target speed 20mph higher than the speed limit displayed on the screen. That’s pretty dumb really.

Mine definitely reads speed limits as they're a road around here that it insists is 40 in one direction when it isn't (there's a 40 road near the beginning where it sees the sign and uses it instead of the map data). It just doesn't seem to act on them - as the video above it may on single carriageway roads but since you're not supposed to use AP on such roads I've never tried.

I don’t think there’s any evidence that the performance of features varies depending on pack, excluding the limited trial in the US. It’s just the feature count that changes.

When I had my M3 (plain AP) that never showed the wheelie bins (by the roadside on "bins day"), whereas my FSD did. I need to check it the EAP MY replacement does. Might have nothing to do with FSD of course.