Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer Not Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I turned the "beta" Autosteer feature on in my new Model Y SR and found that it does not steer at all, in fact it makes no attempt to steer and the car just starts drifting into an adjacent lane. I have the lane correct enabled, that does not seem to work either, whether I have cruise control enabled, or just driving the car myself.

I turned it off, then back on - same issue. I see a steering wheel icon on the screen, but I am not sure if it should change color when activated, it's always gray.

Any advice for this issue? Just curious if I am doing something wrong before I book a service appointment.

I’m assuming you are following the procedure below? Sounds like you just pulled down one which enables auto pilot

F1F4097F-BAB3-4284-ABE4-9B729E212087.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks all! Duh, I should have studied the manual a little more, seems I failed this chapter.

now I need to figure out why traffic information doesn’t show up when navigating.
Traffic info probably does show up but Tesla messed up the GUI so badly you probably have to strain to see it which makes it absolutely unusable while driving.

This, of course, assumes you have premium connectivity enabled.

Reactions: bocastephen
@bocastephen it isn't clear from your post if you enabled Autosteer before trying to activate it. Select Controls> Autopilot>Autosteer (beta). Autosteer has to be enabled separately in each driver's profile. When you engage Autosteer with a double press of the right stalk, you'll get an audible confirmation as well as the steering wheel icon turning blue. When Autosteer is disengaged, the audible tones sound again but in the reverse order. BTW, it's very hard to notice because movements are so small but the icon actually turns with the wheel when Autosteer is operating.

Reactions: iustin
1) Touch the screen,
2) Touch the traffic light icon that appears on the right.

Slow downs are impossible to miss.

View attachment 648991

I don't see that icon strip at all - I only see the charging station search as its own icon at the bottom right corner.

I did get autosteer to work with the double pull-down, so that mystery is solved, aside from how violently the car will break and accelerate when in variable speed traffic, which in Southern California, is pretty much everywhere, anytime.

I don't see that icon strip at all - I only see the charging station search as its own icon at the bottom right corner.

I did get autosteer to work with the double pull-down, so that mystery is solved, aside from how violently the car will break and accelerate when in variable speed traffic, which in Southern California, is pretty much everywhere, anytime.
Not to be a debbie downer, but read the rest of the manual. There was an incident awhile back where the driver was complaining autopilot kept on going through the intersection (but the driver was on cruise control; single tap opposed to double for AP) That goes for anyone else reading this

Thanks all! Duh, I should have studied the manual a little more, seems I failed this chapter.
Yes, you will receive 10 lashes across the back with a wall charger cable for not reading your manual :)
Seriously though, you aren't the only one confused by this. Maybe it is the fact that the manual is over a couple hundred pages long that no one wants to read it. When I got my car, I put the manual on the back of the toilet and every time I went in there to sit down, I read a couple pages :D

• Funny
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
So I discovered today the icon is there - however it was only visible with the car in park before driving away. Once I started out, the icon panel vanished and only the charging locator icon was visible
Same with mine. Most navi systems only allow you to make changes while in park, or using voice commands while driving. I haven't really used mine much yet so not sure if that is the same with Tesla.

For less violent braking and acceleration when in autopilot, set the car follow distance to 4 or 5 (or even higher). Basically, the higher the number, the bigger the gap to the car in front of you, but it also means more room and time for the car to accelerate and brake, which makes it much smoother.

For less violent braking and acceleration when in autopilot, set the car follow distance to 4 or 5 (or even higher). Basically, the higher the number, the bigger the gap to the car in front of you, but it also means more room and time for the car to accelerate and brake, which makes it much smoother.

There is always that fine line, especially in LA. If you leave too big of a gap, then cars will cut your off, then you will still get sudden braking. Leave it too short and it's a jerky ride.

Reactions: iustin