Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autotoll tag installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've driven through almost every tunnel and very reliable.

Only thing is the white sticky tapes come with the tag are not that strong, so I've replaced those with the hyper sticky 3M professional double sided tape :rolleyes:

Nosecone, installed by Tesla Motors.

After almost 2,500 km and thousands of dollars paid in tunnel/road charges, the AutoToll "traffic light" has been perfectly green on every single pass I made.

Since there is no buttons or indications on the AutoToll transponder, I don't need to have it within reach to me.

We had similar issues with the roadster. In the end, for the roadster, I put mine in the frunk under the carbon fibre hood. Not perfect, and works better in some tunnels than others (similar to what you see). I do find that it works almost 100% of the time when I slow down to 30kph or so, but if I hammer through at 50kph it is 50/50 (depending on the tunnel).

That said, when it doesn't work the red-light stays on (so you know) and they just work off the license plate picture. I've never received a call or any problems from that - they just bill me the same.

I agree that behind the nose cone seems to be the best place.

Mark: for the positioning of the tag in a Roadster, do you place it where it is protected from the rain, or under one of the "slats" where the rain can hit the tag?

I have had mine under the slats and so far (fingers crossed) it has always worked, whatever speed I go through the gate. But Autotoll has just sent me a new tag (un-requested) and I am about to replace the old (still working) tag. I wondered if (with the rainy season upon us) I ought to reposition where the rain is less likely to hit it.

Appreciate some further guidance on tag position for the Roadster, before replacing the tag ...

Thanks in advance to Mark (or any other Roadster owner who cares to chip in ...)
Volta.

Mark: for the positioning of the tag in a Roadster, do you place it where it is protected from the rain, or under one of the "slats" where the rain can hit the tag?

I have had mine under the slats and so far (fingers crossed) it has always worked, whatever speed I go through the gate. But Autotoll has just sent me a new tag (un-requested) and I am about to replace the old (still working) tag. I wondered if (with the rainy season upon us) I ought to reposition where the rain is less likely to hit it.

Appreciate some further guidance on tag position for the Roadster, before replacing the tag ...

Thanks in advance to Mark (or any other Roadster owner who cares to chip in ...)
Volta.

Mine is in the 'waterproof' area. Further back, nearer the windshield.

Have it installed behind Nose Cone by myself .... 2 mins work, fast and easy !! Saving me time to visit service center !!

Thanks for sharing the video, make it simple to follow !!

After more than a month of passing through tolls on red, this morning I finally took my car to the service centre to install the tag. It took no more than 5 min. The whole procedure was simple enough, just that I am too nervous to do it myself!

Maybe it's because of the time of the day and the year, I got there at 9:30 and was helped with right away. But sure they are busy. The service guy said for annual service, one should book a time 3-4 months ahead.

On the topic of Auto-toll. The grey tag I have (from previous vehicle) is going to look ugly on my windshield!! Do you know if it's possible to get those black tag jackets? Can't seem to find any info on them online from recent years..

On the topic of Auto-toll. The grey tag I have (from previous vehicle) is going to look ugly on my windshield!! Do you know if it's possible to get those black tag jackets? Can't seem to find any info on them online from recent years..

After some digging, Auto Toll has an app called VGO. Downloaded it and can buy black sleeve for the tag. yeah yeah I know, but it will look better!!