Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Average age of Model 3 owners?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I turned 70 last month. Paid cash for my M3 SR+. Have owned a good number of cars in my lifetime including a couple of performance cars. This Tesla, a relatively light weight (3616 LB), rear drive, electric powered performance sedan is like a dream come true. Loving every minute of driving it.

As far as reflexes go it is a matter of how high they were at your peak. Sure mine have diminished somewhat but 10 years in martial arts has honed them pretty well. I think today that they are still as good as the average person 30 years my junior.

I am late 30s. Pick up my M3LR tomorrow. It would be a M3P but after a sit down with the wife we decided to get the LR but with FSD instead. Makes more sense I suppose...The added range is nice as we make annual trips 1000 mile trips
You could have simply subscribed to FSD for the month that you were traveling and saved a boatload of money. But to each his own.

Reactions: AmbienWalrus
You could have simply subscribed to FSD for the month that you were traveling and saved a boatload of money. But to each his own.
Sorry that's not what i meant with that 1000 mile trip. I want to be in FSD Beta. I love being on the bleeding edge of tech. However when trying to explain this whole thing to my tech adverse wife it was easier to sell my passion of tech vs. .5 of second faster and less overall range for about the same price. Also as far as I can tell, here in Canada there is no option to subscribe to the FSD by month.

Reactions: queenamydala
Modding a tesla is almost expected in L.A. since many just want a car that isn't like every other one on the road. Teslas are dime a dozen. All models, all over the place. People wrap them, put different wheels on it, tint, whatever. Tesla doesn't give you many options to customize your car and I personally am not a fan of seeing my exact same car/color/wheels/interior so often. Hell, there is 4 of the exact same model Y as mine. All 4 midnight silver, 2 white interior and 2 black. All LR with induction wheels except for my SR with aftermarket wheels. That's 4 just on my street of maybe 20-30 homes. About 15-20 teslas in my community. Probably more. They all look the same so yea, modifying it just sets you apart from every other tesla. Plus it's fun.

I suppose that makes me an iconoclast. My Model 3P has zero mods. I like how it came from the factory. I like it even more that with so many on the road now, I can blend in to a sea of white Model 3s. It keeps the LEOs away, and confuses them after I've blown past their radar guns. This Q-ship is just what I need at my age (late 50s).

Reactions: rpiotro and PianoAl
I happen to think so to, with just a couple of exceptions.

1. These cars are FAST... even the "slow" ones are fast. As we age, its no secret or surprise that our reaction times diminish some. The "extreme" amount of acceleration in these cars relative to what many "older" people might typically be used to can be surprising. Care should be taken by those with diminishing reaction times to ensure they understand what the car will do.

Note that, its entirely possible that someones "diminished" skills are markedly better than another persons "full" ones. This is not ment as an "older people cant handle the acceleration" comment, just a call out.

2. The font size on the screen can be hard to read for those with "challenged" eyesight, and its also no secret that "older" people tend to fall into this category as well. Not only old people mind you, but in general, our eyesight is also one of those things that diminish with age, and seeing all the stuff on the tesla screen can be challenging with the smaller fonts they now use. Not only older people have this complaint, of course, but you are it is one that some have specifically called out here and I happen to agree with.
Ad1:Ad1: There are so many options of setting and I have set the appropriate setting for seniors :)
Ad2: Yes. You're right, and I think Tesla must think about that too, not only the elderly have a vision problem.

I’m in my mid 40s and ordered an M3P. I’ve noticed over the past few weeks that most of the people posting photos with their cars are essentially kids. Are there any middle aged people with M3s or is it the new young persons EV?

I have no idea where these young’uns get the kind of money to buy a Tesla. In my 20s I was driving junk cars and making ends meet!
I'm 86 and having the time of my life with our imported '19 M3. However, stooping to attend to frunk removal to investigate washer fluid smell (overfull, loose filler neck) and reinforcing the silly locating clips gave my lady and me something to do on a rainy yesterday but left me with a small niggle. I've lived and worked in several countries and this is just another adventure... We pass this way but once, someone said (I suppose). Enjoy variety for its own sake.

I'm looking forward to the day that any ICE car I see is stranded on the side of the road with tyres slashed and properly toilet papered.

Beyond that, I don't care what people drive and I have enjoyed every EV I have had the fortune to experience.

I’m in my mid 40s and ordered an M3P. I’ve noticed over the past few weeks that most of the people posting photos with their cars are essentially kids. Are there any middle aged people with M3s or is it the new young persons EV?

I have no idea where these young’uns get the kind of money to buy a Tesla. In my 20s I was driving junk cars and making ends meet!
It would have been fun if you'd posted this as a survey with age ranges. Anyway, I was 61 when we bought ours, and I'm 64 now. So it's not just the whippersnappers. Though my son also has one...

18 M3LR in mid 40's... 22 M3P on order now in late 40's... I guess the 40's weren't so bad after all. Wife is nearly a decade behind so we have late 30's covered too. Hoping to kick off the 50's with a tri motor CT!

Great to hear so many 60's 70s and beyond loving their M3... tried to convert my dad but he's hooked on his C7. I'll let it slide, pretty fun car also. Hopefully by my 60's I'll be able to afford a roadster with rocket boosters!

Reactions: AmbienWalrus

I was 57 when I bought my 2015 Model S and 60 when buying my 2018 Model 3. Love them both and despite being fortunate to own higher end cars, Tesla has been the most enjoyable to own.