Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery before the end of the year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For all you AWD people awaiting delivery, how confident are you that your car will be delivered by the end of the year? I ordered mine in mid July which I figured would give me a good cushion. I’d hate to miss out on the $7500 tax rebate.

I thought of changing to RWD but was thinking the new price hikes would take effect because of the revised order.

For all you AWD people awaiting delivery, how confident are you that your car will be delivered by the end of the year? I ordered mine in mid July which I figured would give me a good cushion. I’d hate to miss out on the $7500 tax rebate.

I thought of changing to RWD but was thinking the new price hikes would take effect because of the revised order.

I ordered my AWD on July 12th, non-owner but 3/31 in-store reservation though this late in the game, reservations don't really mean anything...

My guess is if you ordered mid-July, you'll get yours well before the end of the calendar year.

May pull the trigger on AWD non-P by the end of this month. As a current owner, 3/31 online reservation, east coast resident, I'm slightly concerned about beating the 12/31 cutoff for the full tax credit given the "~2-4 months" estimate.

May pull the trigger on AWD non-P by the end of this month. As a current owner, 3/31 online reservation, east coast resident, I'm slightly concerned about beating the 12/31 cutoff for the full tax credit given the "~2-4 months" estimate.

Could always put the refundable deposit down now, at least up until VIN assignment. Would you keep your current MX?

• Informative
Reactions: GaryC
Just my $.02... I'm coming from a 5 series BMW and my RWD M3 crushes it in terms of performance. I was waffling between AWD and RWD, but to be honest... RWD is plenty powerful enough to scare my kids and my father-in-law when I floor it. I personally don't think the AWD is worth losing the tax credit over.

• Informative
Just my $.02... I'm coming from a 5 series BMW and my RWD M3 crushes it in terms of performance. I was waffling between AWD and RWD, but to be honest... RWD is plenty powerful enough to scare my kids and my father-in-law when I floor it. I personally don't think the AWD is worth losing the tax credit over.

Hey Scottman, I’m curious how you rate the Model 3 vs the BMW 5 Series in terms of interior space. How would you compare the 2 for driver and front passenger, and also for rear seat passenger space? I rode in a friend’s 5 series once many years ago and I remember thinking it was a bit cramped in the back seat. Then I sat in the Model 3 before placing my order and it just seemed far more roomy to me. However, I was (and still am) so awe struck by the Model 3 that I’m sure my emotions played a part in my perception that day. I would really value your input since you went straight from a 5 series to the Model 3.

Thank you in advance.

Hey Scottman, I’m curious how you rate the Model 3 vs the BMW 5 Series in terms of interior space. How would you compare the 2 for driver and front passenger, and also for rear seat passenger space? I rode in a friend’s 5 series once many years ago and I remember thinking it was a bit cramped in the back seat. Then I sat in the Model 3 before placing my order and it just seemed far more roomy to me. However, I was (and still am) so awe struck by the Model 3 that I’m sure my emotions played a part in my perception that day. I would really value your input since you went straight from a 5 series to the Model 3.

Thank you in advance.
Isn't the BMW 3 series more of an apt comparison to the Model 3?

I think there are a lot of initial orders of AWD that have had significant waits simply because Tesla didn't start producing them in volume for a month or two after they began accepting orders. Now that we've probably crossed that production gap (look at the VIN acquisitions) the early orders are beginning to see their AWDs in larger quantities and the people who ordered later will begin seeing them after a shorter wait. This is similar to what happened with RWD orders after the ramp in late Q2 and early Q3 this year.

Tesla was also surprised by the % of orders that were going AWD and probably didn't have production tooled for that split, so there was a further delay there. Once they get the pipeline cranked up you're going to start seeing loads of people getting their AWDs, and it will happen well before the end of the year.

I wonder what configuration would have the best chance of being manufactured soonest if I placed my order soon. I would be ordering a black on black AWD. I'm going to rent a Turo M3 tomorrow and see if it's worth selling my S75 and getting an M3. Hopefully I'll save myself some hassle and stress, and just decide I like my MS better.

My tm3 awd delivery date is 9/4. RWD (1st of my 2 reservations) was delivered 6/30 to a family member.

Day 1 pre reveal 2x reservation, 6/27/18 config/order. Current D owner (since mid 2016). MSM, aero, black prem interior, eap.

Neighbor with day 1 res and same config date and options + 19” wheels getting delivery 8/21. Other neighbor in Blue Dual Motor no EAP and base wheels delivery 8/23. Pretty sure my hold up is that I’m considering trading my S and they’re more backlogged on that part.

They’re starting to multiply on the east coast!

• Informative

@EnrgyNDpndnce I'm 6'1" and feel I have more front legroom in the M3 than I did in the 5 series. More headroom as well -- and the cabin feels roomier due to the glass roof. It's a couple inches narrower than the 5 series, but again, the headroom helps it not feel so cramped. Also, because the seat can go back farther, you have the potential to cramp the legs behind you (but that's easily remedied by scooting your seat up).

As for driving, the M3 is much more responsive than my 528i and you definitely feel the road more (for better or worse). I do find myself driving a little more aggressively because I feel I have better/more immediate control of the car. The other day I was merging onto the 405 S from the 101 W (for those in So Cal who know that area) and was stuck behind a truck starting up the grade. I gave a half push on the accelerator and flew past the truck and was at freeway speed in seconds. Made me giggle like a 5 year old.

Isn't the BMW 3 series more of an apt comparison to the Model 3?

Yes, more comparable to a BMW 3 series in terms of overall size, I'm just comparing it to my 12+ years in a 5 series.

All that's refundable is the reservation amount. Once you place an *order*, that 2500 isn't refundable.
From the purchase agreement on my model 3 order page:

Order; Nonrefundable Order Payment; Changes.
Once you submit your completed order, we will locate a vehicle to match your
Vehicle Configuration and coordinate the shipment of the Vehicle for delivery.
Your Order Payment covers the cost of these
activities and other processing costs and is nonrefundable; it is not a deposit for the Vehicle.
Any changes to your Vehicle
Configuration, delivery location or expected delivery time after the Order Date will be difficult, if not impossible, for us to accommodate.
If you want to make changes to your order, we will try to accommodate your request. If we accept your request, you will be subject to a
non-refundable $500 change fee and potential price increases for any pricing adjustments made since your original Order Date. Any
changes made by you to your Vehicle Configuration, including changes to the delivery location or estimated delivery date, will be reflected
in a subsequent Vehicle Configuration that will form part of this Agreement.

Cancellation; Default:
We incur significant costs in managing your order, and locating and coordinating delivery logistics for your
Vehicle. We may also incur significant costs for remarketing and reselling the Vehicle, including additional coordination, logistics and
transport costs. If you cancel or default in this Agreement, you will not be refunded your Order Payment as it has already been earned by
us in taking and processing your order. You acknowledge that the Order Payment amount is a fair and reasonable estimate of the actual
damages that we have incurred or may incur as a result of your breach of this Agreement, damages that are otherwise impracticable or
extremely difficult to determine. When you take delivery of the vehicle we will provide a credit to the final purchase price of your Vehicle
equivalent to the amount of the Order Payment you paid. This Order Payment and this Agreement are not made or entered into in
anticipation of or pending any conditional sale contract.​