Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awww. Yer sweet! There are *plenty* of folks in this same boat though. I'm not alone. And I'm certainly not the earliest orderer who's waiting!

I *do* consider that I've been figuratively waiting for this car for 20 years now though. Not because it feels as if it has been 20 years since I stood in line, but because I've consulted with, and been friends with the people who's work all the way back on the Impact (that became the EV1) and the AC Propulsion T-zero is what really has become this car. I knew this car could exist 20 years ago, and for 20 years of putting my time and money where my mouth is, I've got some effort into having this day arrive. So yeah. I don't mean to sound like I'm all that and a bag of chips, but it's why this wait has been 20 years for me. It's why my wife wouldn't let me NOT buy this car.

Even though I sort of reached a personal "peak car" situation years ago, I have to own this car.

Whew. Ok. That was a lot of drama for a Wednesday evening.

Fantastic, Jedi2115, that you'll be seeing your car so soon! Awesome.
And then there was what was reported today that every car produced up until they hit 5000/week had to have individual rework performed. Again, a danger of being first!

Finally! just called earlier and found out I have the vin assigned. It wasn't there when i called yesterday.
reserved : 3/31/2016 line waiter
Ordered : 6/26/2018
AWD non-p, OBM, 19", EAP

just like most of you guys. i've been frustrated seeing people reserved and ordered later than me got their cars. I guess it's finally my turn now! hope to get it delivered soon!

Got a call Tuesday we could get delivery next week, but we are on a road trip in the X until the week after. They wouldn't hold it for us, so someone else get it. He said it might take three weeks for the next chance at delivery. If this is your config in Phoenix area, you can thank us later.

The call was a bit confusing. The total price was way low, and the car was described as black interior. He seemed to correct that at the end, so maybe he skipped a page somehow. Still not sure we wouldn't have seen a black interior at delivery.

Reserved 3-31-16 (just after reveal)
Ordered 7-23-18 (first day white interior was offered on AWD non-P) (Sep - Nov delivery time frame)
Red
White Interior
AWD (non-P)
18 Aero
EAP
Phoenix
If it had a black interior, it would have been my config and I would have thanked you but alas...

the_danimal said:
Haven't received my call yet but starting to line up the electrician for home charging. Tesla recommended electrician (in the DC metropolitan area) wants to charge over $1,000 for installing a NEMA 14-50 literally right next to my electrical panel. Luckily, I just got a second quote for $600.

or electrocute yourself and die :)
Dude,
Learn please.
You simply turn off the main breaker. No risk of death.
Are you dumber than an electrician? Or just less manly? :)

Just a note on the price discrepancies between Tesla approved electricians and normal licensed electricians. I got quoted by a Tesla approved company ~$1300 to install a Nema 14-50, or HPWC about 5ft from my panel (no panel upgrades needed). I thought this was really high and called around. I got quotes from 8 other licensed electricians (looked up their licenses myself) that ranged from $350-$600. The lower bids were without a permit and wife insisted we get a permit because of insurance, despite it being a fairly straight forward job. The Tesla approved electrician's quote included a permit ($550 alone is the cost of the permit from my city), the other quotes jumped to $2000-$3000 when I asked about a permit. Some because they didn't want the hassle of applying online, doing load calculations and meeting with the inspector, others because their time to do all the work added up to more than the Tesla approved company. Believe me, I'm as surprised as you guys the Tesla approved company came in least expensive.

Back to the thread. As badly as I want my car and how sick I am of people asking if I have it yet, I'm really happy to see 3/31-4/2 reservation holders getting calls. Especially excited because of the white interiors being delivered. I understand there are obscure, ones offs with people either getting their cars early, or potentially overlooked, but until someone who ordered the same time or after, with the same config AND location gets theirs before me I'll try to be patient. Doesn't help that the call I made to them two weeks ago (they accidentally changed my config, long story) ended with them saying I might get a call the following week = |.

• Informative
Reactions: the_danimal
And then there was what was reported today that every car produced up until they hit 5000/week had to have individual rework performed. Again, a danger of being first!
I get it.

Something that I'm intimately aware of, having been "first" for my last five EVs. But back then we were ALL first.

Four of my last five cars never saw "production numbers" beyond about 2400 units TOTAL. So yeah. The Model 3 at the end of this second quarter is a whole different ballgame when compared to *really* being first.

Reactions: arnolddeleon
Was just prompted to make online payment (for down payment). Next step now changed to "Prepare for delivery". Emailed DA to make sure everything is on track for Sept 6th delivery.

Reserved: 4/2/2016
Ordered: 6/30/2018
VIN#: 545xx
VIN assigned: DA gave on 8/20 when asked, but could have been assigned around 16th
Red 18" Aero LR AWD EAP
Delivery: Sept 6th

Reactions: tony b
Was just prompted to make online payment (for down payment). Next step now changed to "Prepare for delivery". Emailed DA to make sure everything is on track for Sept 6th delivery.

Reserved: 4/2/2016
Ordered: 6/30/2018
VIN#: 545xx
VIN assigned: DA gave on 8/20 when asked, but could have been assigned around 16th
Red 18" Aero LR AWD EAP
Delivery: Sept 6th
Congrats! Just curious, your online payment for down payment...can you make that via credit card? I had read in the past Tesla did NOT allow this.

Dude,
Learn please.
Pssshh. Turning off the main breaker is for p*ssies. Real men work on hot wires. ;)

On a more serious note, I'd not recommend to DIY even if you have the skills. If there is an electrical fire and your house burns down, and the insurance finds out the installation wasn't done by a certified electrician, you might be in deep trouble ...

Dude,
Learn please.

Electricity can get pretty complicated, i would rather pay someone to do it right then spend my time trying to learn something that i know absolutely nothing about and potentially mess up the electricity to my house or even kill me

Reactions: jkirkwood001
Finally! just called earlier and found out I have the vin assigned. It wasn't there when i called yesterday.
I love that you have a VIN. Big congrats, and hope you get a quick delivery and a perfect car. You should totally be ahead of me and many others as a line waiter, but are people really calling Tesla every day to check if they have a VIN?

Pssshh. Turning off the main breaker is for p*ssies. Real men work on hot wires. ;)

On a more serious note, I'd not recommend to DIY even if you have the skills. If there is an electrical fire and your house burns down, and the insurance finds out the installation wasn't done by a certified electrician, you might be in deep trouble ...
Like the first part of your post, but must respectfully disagree with the second part. From the research I have done, as long as your work has been permitted, done to code, and inspected, you will have no issues from insurance.

Reactions: arnolddeleon
Electricity can get pretty complicated, i would rather pay someone to do it right then spend my time trying to learn something that i know absolutely nothing about and potentially mess up the electricity to my house or even kill me
Understand. If you're are not comfortable, hire a pro.

I myself choose to learn and become comfortable with new topics. Lots of others do not have time to do so. I get that. Or they do not want to accept a challenge outside of their comfort zone. Everyone has valid reasons for their actions. Mises understood this well.

I think you are spot on with that statement. My sister and I both resemble that remark. We were both going to wait for SR but without the tax credit it's a difference of $1500 so we both changed to AWD LR. The more I talk with other res holders, the more I am hearing the same logic from them also.
Yup.

I was also fine waiting due to the production and build quality issues that continue to be a work in progress. I also wanted to see the EV offerings from Jaguar and Audi.

The tax credit was a huge factor in my decision to pull the trigger. Knowing that the full $7500 would be available until the end of the year was a big deal. I also appreciate that Tesla is the only company that appears to be serious about selling EVs in that segment in volume, that have the range and charging network to be practical for more than short-distance drives and commuting.

Like the first part of your post, but must respectfully disagree with the second part. From the research I have done, as long as your work has been permitted, done to code, and inspected, you will have no issues from insurance.
This is correct. It does not matter who does the work, as long as it is permitted (which in theory assures that it is done to code). A licensed electrician is not required for any liability concerns.

Ordered : 6/26/2018
AWD non-p, OBM, 19", EAP

just like most of you guys. i've been frustrated seeing people reserved and ordered later than me got their cars. I guess it's finally my turn now! hope to get it delivered soon!
That's the first AWD 19" ?!