Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to double check, is this where a bunch of us are stuck right now? Gray dots and all? (RN removed).

View attachment 324506

Saw that one screen with yellow dots that someone else posted, not sure what is going on there.
I've been stuck here for 3 weeks:
upload_2018-8-9_13-35-38.png

The sections below are all complete.

Reactions: MarkeR2002
Just to double check, is this where a bunch of us are stuck right now? Gray dots and all? (RN removed).

View attachment 324506

Saw that one screen with yellow dots that someone else posted, not sure what is going on there.
Interesting, when I put my deposit down it let me complete those screens (the ones with the dots), but now I want to change my selection and there's no apparent way to do so.

I'd call if I were you. 3 weeks at that stage seems a bit long.
I called this morning. He said maybe I'd get a call next week. :( He was pretty clueless and couldn't provide any new information.

A quick clarification: Originally, I had a message for a week indicating they would contact me within 48 hours. Then it changed to the current message which I've had for two weeks.

I called this morning. He said maybe I'd get a call next week. :( He was pretty clueless and couldn't provide any new information.

A quick clarification: Originally, I had a message for a week indicating they would contact me within 48 hours. Then it changed to the current message which I've had for two weeks.

I've been in the same boat as you for the same amount of time. I've called a couple of times (framing it as making sure that I didn't mess anything up since at first I chose cash payment and then decided to finance with Tesla). 4/1/16 resy and 6/30/18 config with no reconfigs and LA pickup. Each time they said I didn't currently have a VIN, but that it should be coming shortly. Based on the numbers I'm thinking we'll get the call next week at the latest. Buddy of mine who reserved on 4/5/16 and config'd same day as me got the call 2 days ago. Solid black. 69xxx VIN. Its currently on the truck, will arrive in LA today, and they'll schedule pickup early next week. It's all a color and location lottery at this point it seems like.

It really does feel like a lottery at this point. It's kind of weird to think that I ordered 1.5 months ago, so that 2-4 month window I was given is about to hit. Considering I'm in Texas, so I have to pay and still won't get the car for 2-3 weeks after that, it seems like I'd have to hear from Tesla fairly soon to stay in that window. Also my financing, which has already been approved, expires at the end of August. I can always reapply, of course, but still...

I've been in the same boat as you for the same amount of time. I've called a couple of times (framing it as making sure that I didn't mess anything up since at first I chose cash payment and then decided to finance with Tesla). 4/1/16 resy and 6/30/18 config with no reconfigs and LA pickup. Each time they said I didn't currently have a VIN, but that it should be coming shortly. Based on the numbers I'm thinking we'll get the call next week at the latest. Buddy of mine who reserved on 4/5/16 and config'd same day as me got the call 2 days ago. Solid black. 69xxx VIN. Its currently on the truck, will arrive in LA today, and they'll schedule pickup early next week. It's all a color and location lottery at this point it seems like.
Yeah. You might've seen my posts in other threads but I've seen others (including a non-owner) who reserved after me and ordered the exact same build after me that already have a delivery scheduled. They are on the east coast...where I'm in the Rocky Mountains...so it just seems odd that they aren't filling orders "in order" and by distance from California.

Yeah. You might've seen my posts in other threads but I've seen others (including a non-owner) who reserved after me and ordered the exact same build after me that already have a delivery scheduled. They are on the east coast...where I'm in the Rocky Mountains...so it just seems odd that they aren't filling orders "in order" and by distance from California.

I don't know anything about distribution, supply chain management, or how to run a company. But there are examples from other companies that I can compare it to and feel like that's a good place to start. Currently, there are about 84 possible configurations give or take of the Model 3 (not including SR). When you remove the Performance option that number goes down to 56. Based on the huge amount of configurations they received on and after 6/28, including the previous orders they had already received up to that point, I image then can produce a model of what the demand per configuration is. And since they're now producing 800 or so cars a day, they can move X number of cars to separate distribution centers across the country. Amazon runs that same kind of idea. I live in LA and there are items that I can receive within 2 hours. But i've tried to send that same item to my dad who lives in rural Texas and it won't even qualify for the Prime 2 day free shipping because it isn't in a hub that can get to him as fast. They have large hubs that stock stuff in specific location across the country for quick shipping. I think this is what Tesla is now doing with the Model 3. As they're coming off the line or traveling across the country, they then get matched to buyers. That's why the Vin to delivery window is so small. I definitely don't think they're manufacturing the Model 3 the way they'd create an X if you bought one right now. They would build that X specifically for you from beginning to end. But like I said, I have no knowledge of distribution or manufacturing at all as I am a film editor, but after analyzing the data in the various spread sheets this is the conclusion I've come to. But maybe I'm full of it, who knows!

I don't know anything about distribution, supply chain management, or how to run a company. But there are examples from other companies that I can compare it to and feel like that's a good place to start. Currently, there are about 84 possible configurations give or take of the Model 3 (not including SR). When you remove the Performance option that number goes down to 56. Based on the huge amount of configurations they received on and after 6/28, including the previous orders they had already received up to that point, I image then can produce a model of what the demand per configuration is. And since they're now producing 800 or so cars a day, they can move X number of cars to separate distribution centers across the country. Amazon runs that same kind of idea. I live in LA and there are items that I can receive within 2 hours. But i've tried to send that same item to my dad who lives in rural Texas and it won't even qualify for the Prime 2 day free shipping because it isn't in a hub that can get to him as fast. They have large hubs that stock stuff in specific location across the country for quick shipping. I think this is what Tesla is now doing with the Model 3. As they're coming off the line or traveling across the country, they then get matched to buyers. That's why the Vin to delivery window is so small. I definitely don't think they're manufacturing the Model 3 the way they'd create an X if you bought one right now. They would build that X specifically for you from beginning to end. But like I said, I have no knowledge of distribution or manufacturing at all as I am a film editor, but after analyzing the data in the various spread sheets this is the conclusion I've come to. But maybe I'm full of it, who knows!
Yeah, I understand they do things in batches with the 3 but I think I've been waiting almost since they started building AWD cars...so you'd think they would fill earlier orders first.

IIRC, the car being delivered was built after my order so it wasn't just sitting in a lot on the East Coast awaiting an order. It was built and shipped to the East Coast, bypassing orders closer to California which came first.

Last edited:
Assuming all goes as planned, I'm taking delivery today of my 3 today in Dedham. (AWD, MSM, 18's)

Since everything seemingly has to happen at once, I'll have just enough time to drive it home and then leave the country for 10 days.
I'm very glad to hear that you picked up your Model 3 @Oloron. I remember talking about our almost identical MX's in 2016, it's great to see old faces from the MX crowd on here and I'm happy to tell the Tesla crowd that I also got "THE CALL" earlier today and my AWD Model 3 is scheduled for delivery for 8/28 in Dedham. Happy car-ing!!

Reactions: Bokonon
I'm very glad to hear that you picked up your Model 3 @Oloron. I remember talking about our almost identical MX's in 2016, it's great to see old faces from the MX crowd on here and I'm happy to tell the Tesla crowd that I also got "THE CALL" earlier today and my AWD Model 3 is scheduled for delivery for 8/28 in Dedham. Happy car-ing!!

Good to see you around, too! Congrats on your (soon to be) Model 3!

Has anyone that has taken delivery of their non-P AWD been given the badge without the underline or been told they would get one later at service? The sales person who did my test drive of the P model last week told me Tesla wouldn't be giving out any badges other than the one that comes on the P model. Personally I'm not a huge fan of the dual motor badge anyway, but figured I'd ask if anyone had heard different from what the Tesla salesperson told me.

Can I ask how long is the wait for people who did NOT reserve back in 2016. If you just put an order in for LR PUP say how long could you expect to wait for delivery? Lets say black interior, black exterior RWD to keep it simple. so special effects or anything else that would add time to the process.... thanks ... trying to decide if I should jump on the LR instead of go with the SR and wait another 8 months because I was too stupid to put a reservation in!

Can I ask how long is the wait for people who did NOT reserve back in 2016. If you just put an order in for LR PUP say how long could you expect to wait for delivery? Lets say black interior, black exterior RWD to keep it simple. so special effects or anything else that would add time to the process.... thanks ... trying to decide if I should jump on the LR instead of go with the SR and wait another 8 months because I was too stupid to put a reservation in!

If you don’t order the P AWD then I don’t believe you can add the PUP. If you were to order a RWD today then you could likely take delivery before the end of the year. If you wait for SR then (and rightfully so) reservation holders would be able to order and be taking delivery before you. So I would expect a year or more before you get yours. There is a strong possibility that the federal tax credit will be extended beyond the end of this year, if that is a factor, but that is still up in the air and, as of now it will begin it’s phase out at the beginning of next year.

If you don’t order the P AWD then I don’t believe you can add the PUP. If you were to order a RWD today then you could likely take delivery before the end of the year. If you wait for SR then (and rightfully so) reservation holders would be able to order and be taking delivery before you. So I would expect a year or more before you get yours. There is a strong possibility that the federal tax credit will be extended beyond the end of this year, if that is a factor, but that is still up in the air and, as of now it will begin it’s phase out at the beginning of next year.
thanks for the insight Dan ! I had a test drive in RWD PUP but it may have been the performance model to wow me!

Reactions: Dans 3D
Congrats! I love to hear about Dedham AWD deliveries... the further down the list they go, the closer I get. :)

Reactions: Bokonon