Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good to hear some news out of AZ. I stood in line at fashion square too on 3/16 (about 100 people in) and ordered on 6/27. No word yet except for a call for a test drive...

Edit button has been gone for weeks.

Totally agree that being nice to service people is the way to go.

We were probably very close in line. One of our AWD reservations is en route, the other still has the edit button. Only difference is the color. Maybe white was built and shipped first?

I didn't think so either. On the Tesla support page they show order priority is
reservation date, order date, delivery location and options. However, the woman I spoke to at Tesla this morning said previous owner was part of the priority. Now it's a case of do they give the best info they believe they have but are incorrect??
WCorey's evil plan: Call the Tesla delivery line so often that they deliver your Model 3 just to reduce call volume. Shrewd, my friend... very shrewd! :)

Info from sheet tracking AWD and Performance orders:

upload_2018-8-14_13-19-56.png

You have a business relationship with Tesla, so it's OK to call them as much as you want, at any time of day.
Little known factoid. When I was a teen, we'd call information in Hawaii to ask how the weather was. Hey, it was a free call. Young women answered, we were teenage boys. Now teenage boys do heroin. It's a crazy world.

VIN assigned. 641xx
8/28/18 delivery
Thanks for that! What will be interesting going forward is to watch the reserve date start to climb. A lot of 3/31/16s, less but still a lot of 4/1/16. Then it falls off precipitously. I'd bet there are as many reservations between 3/31/16 and 4/10/16 as there are between 4/11/16 and 9/3/17. Troy appears to have completely dropped reservation date. CJ didn't.

I count ~350 AWD and PAWD 3/31/16->4/20/16
I count ~100 AWD and PAWD 4/20/16->10/10/17
This is from CJ's spreadsheet. If this represents 3,000 and 850... Ppl can draw their own conclusions from this.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: the_danimal
It's going to be interesting to see where my delivery fits in here. I didn't make a reservation and placed an order on 7/28/2018. I still have an anticipated delivery date of Sep-Nov '18. My guess is that I will be pushed to Nov, and maybe even beyond as there just seems to be a lot of people with reservations that still don't have their cars. We shall see. :D

Reactions: 1deepthink
If current VIN numbers are nearing 100K, why are new deliveries down in the 60's? Also, if they are making 5K a week, which according to @model3vins they are, all of the tracking information on the spreadsheet seems woefully unrepresentative. Am i just not understanding things?

When does a car get its VIN? Before it is made or after it is completed?

With 20 weeks left on the year at 5k cars a week that's another 100k cars they could make. Assuming they stick with all premium LR package cars thats a lot of reservations they can fill.

It's going to be interesting to see where my delivery fits in here. I didn't make a reservation and placed an order on 7/28/2018. I still have an anticipated delivery date of Sep-Nov '18. My guess is that I will be pushed to Nov, and maybe even beyond as there just seems to be a lot of people with reservations that still don't have their cars. We shall see. :D

Same situation I'm in with same day of ordering. I really hope it's not a November delivery :(

Reactions: 1deepthink
Finally got my ISA contact! Filled out my credit app this morning and hoping to hear back later today...
Anyone have any idea on how long they take to turn around the Tesla loan app? Just doing that for convenience. Can refi later on if I want.

Res: 4/1/2016 (11am PST online)
Config 6/30/2018 - Haven't changed since
ISA contact: 8/13/2018
Vin: Have one, but don't know it yet
Delivery: pending loan app!!!
Delivery location: Marina Del Rey, CA

LRD, MSM, 19", Black PUP, EAP

Reactions: tich
If current VIN numbers are nearing 100K, why are new deliveries down in the 60's? Also, if they are making 5K a week, which according to @model3vins they are, all of the tracking information on the spreadsheet seems woefully unrepresentative. Am i just not understanding things?

When does a car get its VIN? Before it is made or after it is completed?

With 20 weeks left on the year at 5k cars a week that's another 100k cars they could make. Assuming they stick with all premium LR package cars thats a lot of reservations they can fill.
That's my contention, the spreadsheets are whoa-fully misrepresenting reality. There are built in perturbations, initial interest was much higher than current interest so if initially 8%-9% of reservations found their way to self-report, now, by the spreadsheet owners, its likely 2%. So, people who started have lost interest...perhaps. Of that 5,500; soon to be 6000, some are models S and X. They currently have 10,500 VINs registered.
I believe a car gets it's VIN before it's made as the VIN is stamped on the frame, engine block in ICE cars, and dash. It's hard to do that after the fact.

Reactions: jkirkwood001
It's worth mentioning that the spreadsheet calculates a delivery date of 94 days after configuration date. It was right on the money with our delivery date. :cool:
So why, depending on when you reserved you were either on the front of the line or rear of the line. The more predictive number is between reservation and delivery. That 94 days is going to swing wildly. because of the bubbles and depleting them. That doesn't detract from "hey, congrats!". Seriously, that's terrific you are through the process!

I'm a mid-July order with no reservation. I'm fine with first day people getting theirs but i dont see any reason why i still wouldnt. Only thing that potentially upsets all of this are the current owners who are looking for latest and greatest that are willing to trade in their S's.
I'm just going to throw this out there but I predict before the last existing order is filled there will be used M3s for sale at a substantial discount.

• Disagree
Reactions: the_danimal