Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also want to add that not everyone, or even most people, who are calling Tesla about their orders are mistreating the reps or trying to circumvent the system.

Some of us have never called them, have gotten no status for months or over a year and just want to make sure there isn't a problem with our order holding things up.

I did not get poor service from the rep I spoke to but they were also completely devoid of helpful information.

When I ordered my last BMW I got information every step of the way even including what step in the factory it was at, which port the car was being loaded to, what ship it was on, when it arrived at port, when it was being checked in at the dealer, etc.

That's how companies that have been doing this for a while who know they have discriminating customers do this kind of thing.
Point well taken but there is another side to this. This is not apple to apple comparison. BMW was founded in 1906. Has billions of dollars is a mature company and has all the necessary elements in place. Tesla on the other hand is a child they are trying to get in the game playing with legends. It is no easy task. Internal combustion engines have been around always. If it was easy big companies with big pockets would have already done what Tesla is doing. Instead they all played safe no one had the courage. Tesla has its hands full. Building on dealer network, customer service, nee technology its all going to take time. At the same time because they are so heavily investing to stay ahead of the game in new tech and to build what they started. If they had deep pockets they can hire 10 times more people at their stores or customer service and we all will be happy. But I think we all have to be more patient as we are part of this revolution change. We all who are buying Tesla are part of this. With time refinement will come. Will see how things are in 10 years. In todays instant world we want things now but for anything to mature it takes time. Porche which launched its EV now they are realizing its not easy and just like Tesla after you place order there will be a wait for 1 year at least, same goes for Jaguar after placing order long wait and these are companies that have been in this game forever.

Well, we got the call and email from our IDA this evening. Missed the call, and the email stated to use email to reply.
It was just to introduce himself, and confirm we're paying cash with no trade-in.
So still no VIN and no date set.
But it's getting close!
Does trade-in add more more than 24hrs? They tell you to get these particular pictures and send them back in then they tell you what your car is worth and they subtract that from your current due at signing and adjust your state tax accordingly.

For me, its not that they have or have not missed the window they quote, its that Tesla is sitting on my reservation and order dollars longer than people that have come in later and are getting their identically configured vehicles first. And, they are being delivered in locations that take longer and cost more money to get the vehicles to. All Tesla would need to do to satisfy me as a customer would be to explain at least some sort of rationale as to why that's happening.

It's all logistics. Thinking priorities (my hypothesis)
  1. There is enough backlog of most configurations where the focus is on keeping the lines producing, so first priorities are going to be on producing configurations based on the current supplies on hand; supplies being equal, then prioritize highest profit vehicles.
  2. The second priority is keeping the flow of vehicles to delivery centers steady and absorbable. Delivery times to all the centers varies greatly and has a lot of potential for delays. Don't want to flood or famine a delivery center, or you're waisting delivery resources. So the priority here is literally "where does the next truck/train need to go?" Just load them up with the cars that are currently available. Again, plenty of backlog demand so why waste the time picking and choosing the configurations to load up, send whatever is ready on the loading lot.
  3. Only now that we know where the next truck and train are going, and what cars are getting sent... check to see which customers happen to be waiting for that particular vehicle in that particular location. Pick the earliest reserving/configuring ones who looks ready to take delivery and give them a call/email.
The result is you need the right combination of your vehicle configuration being produced at the time a truck is being loaded to your destination to be eligible for a call. Those who reserved later but are receiving delivery earlier, happen to be lucky that their particular configuration was going to their particular location and they were next in line in that particular area - to get that configuration.

• Informative
Reactions: Zhelko Dimic
That is not what I said but since you brought it up, no they don't. They have a fiduciary responsibility to their share holders via their Board of Directors. That's it.

No, you didn't say it directly, but you implied that Musk is the sole decider of what happens and there is no feedback loop in there for customer dollars.

And yeah, obviously corporate governance dictates that the only fiduciary responsibility is to the share holders. Share value doesn't come out of thin air and a company that makes money from selling a product needs customers to buy that product.

It's all logistics. Thinking priorities (my hypothesis)
  1. There is enough backlog of most configurations where the focus is on keeping the lines producing, so first priorities are going to be on producing configurations based on the current supplies on hand; supplies being equal, then prioritize highest profit vehicles.
  2. The second priority is keeping the flow of vehicles to delivery centers steady and absorbable. Delivery times to all the centers varies greatly and has a lot of potential for delays. Don't want to flood or famine a delivery center, or you're waisting delivery resources. So the priority here is literally "where does the next truck/train need to go?" Just load them up with the cars that are currently available. Again, plenty of backlog demand so why waste the time picking and choosing the configurations to load up, send whatever is ready on the loading lot.
  3. Only now that we know where the next truck and train are going, and what cars are getting sent... check to see which customers happen to be waiting for that particular vehicle in that particular location. Pick the earliest reserving/configuring ones who looks ready to take delivery and give them a call/email.
The result is you need the right combination of your vehicle configuration being produced at the time a truck is being loaded to your destination to be eligible for a call. Those who reserved later but are receiving delivery earlier, happen to be lucky that their particular configuration was going to their particular location and they were next in line in that particular area - to get that configuration.

I agree and have thought similarly. My argument is that Tesla could communicate the process in a better fashion than they have. Wouldn't be hard for them to do, and they wouldn't need to give a ton of specifics.

I agree and have thought similarly. My argument is that Tesla could communicate the process in a better fashion than they have. Wouldn't be hard for them to do, and they wouldn't need to give a ton of specifics.
Investors may agree and cheer; I have trouble seeing customers being too delighted with this explanation, no matter how logical and practical it is.

For me, its not that they have or have not missed the window they quote, its that Tesla is sitting on my reservation and order dollars longer than people that have come in later and are getting their identically configured vehicles first. And, they are being delivered in locations that take longer and cost more money to get the vehicles to. All Tesla would need to do to satisfy me as a customer would be to explain at least some sort of rationale as to why that's happening.

Which is why I feel like a lot of these are just a "filling the truck" scenario. But believe me, I feel you. It pains me to watch deliveries happening all around me.

Reactions: TechSavvyWife
They haven't broken any promise to us (yet).
Fair point. Up to a point. What's been promised about reservation time and ordering time is vague at best. All else being equal, I think everybody would agree that those with earlier reservation AND order would at least reasonably respect an earlier delivery. Yes... with *all* else being equal - which it has been for many of us who have been passed over. I don't need to share those details again.

Here is exactly what is "promised."

Delivery time frame will be based on reservation date, order date, delivery location and vehicle configuration.

They're definitely prioritizing them
From where I'm sitting, this seems far from "definitely." None of what has happened to me could be construed as "prioritizing" my pre-reveal order, my order date nor my location. And when I see my exact configuration car delivered to a friend in my town who never reserved, and ordered well after I did... am I allowed to be frustrated? Note that I'm also paying cash (he financed), and have no trade-in (he traded in!). My situation could simply not be more simple. Doesn't it seem like the promise in bold above was broken at least a little bit? Can any of my frustration be justified by this?

If they can fit 2 more cars onto a train/truck whatever they're going to do it. Those extra cars are probably going to later reservations and they get to be lucky. They're not going to leave empty spots on these trains/trucks just because it would make deliveries out of order.
Please not that some of us are not in Chicago. In fact some of us are an easy drive from the Fremont factory where I have elected to take delivery. So this part doesn't even apply to my situation.

Inventory is also going to play a part. I have an inkling that 19" rims are in short supply as most of the deliveries being reported are Aero. I'm just split balling though. Anyway, just figured it had to be said.
Surprise! Aero wheels here!

Flame away
No flames. I'm just compelled to point out a few parts where I think you've missed why some of us are upset.

For the record, I'm still awaiting a vin and I'll list my config and dates for those that care

Blue Exterior AWD
White White interior
19" Sport Wheels
EAP

Reservation pre-reveal online 3/31/16
Invite to config 4/18/18 Deferred for AWD
Config AWD 6/26/18 as soon as it was available
Reconfig to white interior 7/23/18

No movement/contact and edit button still stands.
For the record, my only order difference with you is black interior and aero wheels.
I reserved in-person before reveal. I configured AWD on the same day. And I've never changed anything. My edit button was removed the moment I confirmed my order details.

I'll second that entire emotion.

For those in utah, Nevada, Colorado where you need AWD or chains, it's a safety thing.
California as well.

Point well taken but there is another side to this. This is not apple to apple comparison. BMW was founded in 1906. Has billions of dollars is a mature company and has all the necessary elements in place. Tesla on the other hand is a child they are trying to get in the game playing with legends. It is no easy task. Internal combustion engines have been around always. If it was easy big companies with big pockets would have already done what Tesla is doing. Instead they all played safe no one had the courage. Tesla has its hands full. Building on dealer network, customer service, nee technology its all going to take time. At the same time because they are so heavily investing to stay ahead of the game in new tech and to build what they started. If they had deep pockets they can hire 10 times more people at their stores or customer service and we all will be happy. But I think we all have to be more patient as we are part of this revolution change. We all who are buying Tesla are part of this. With time refinement will come. Will see how things are in 10 years. In todays instant world we want things now but for anything to mature it takes time. Porche which launched its EV now they are realizing its not easy and just like Tesla after you place order there will be a wait for 1 year at least, same goes for Jaguar after placing order long wait and these are companies that have been in this game forever.
Well said

I feel bad guys, I really do for all of you who have waited in line, and done everything you could to get your Model 3 as soon as possible. Especially feel bad for EVNut who from my perspective absolutely deserves his model 3 ASAP.

On a side note, I got assigned my delivery date today :). I had to ask to get a VIN based on the new process but I'm scheduled for Aug. 30th (it should be in as soon as this weekend but yeah).

I read that a couple weeks ago they changed the VIN process so that you are not able to see it before it has delivery date set. For those of you who have gotten your VIN recently did you get a call from a IDA before you saw the VIN appear on the website?

I got a call from the Delivery Center before seeing any changes on the website. They told me a car was selected but didn't tell me the VIN until I asked.

the_danimal said:
Haven't received my call yet but starting to line up the electrician for home charging. Tesla recommended electrician (in the DC metropolitan area) wants to charge over $1,000 for installing a NEMA 14-50 literally right next to my electrical panel. Luckily, I just got a second quote for $600.

DIY and save big $$

or electrocute yourself and die :)

• Funny
Reactions: the_danimal
I feel bad guys, I really do for all of you who have waited in line, and done everything you could to get your Model 3 as soon as possible. Especially feel bad for EVNut who from my perspective absolutely deserves his model 3 ASAP.

On a side note, I got assigned my delivery date today :). I had to ask to get a VIN based on the new process but I'm scheduled for Aug. 30th (it should be in as soon as this weekend but yeah).

I got a call from the Delivery Center before seeing any changes on the website. They told me a car was selected but didn't tell me the VIN until I asked.

I'm happy and sad all at the same time. Glad you are getting your car but sad it's not me. ;)

Awww. Yer sweet! There are *plenty* of folks in this same boat though. I'm not alone. And I'm certainly not the earliest orderer who's waiting!

I *do* consider that I've been figuratively waiting for this car for 20 years now though. Not because it feels as if it has been 20 years since I stood in line, but because I've consulted with, and been friends with the people who's work all the way back on the Impact (that became the EV1) and the AC Propulsion T-zero is what really has become this car. I knew this car could exist 20 years ago, and for 20 years of putting my time and money where my mouth is, I've got some effort into having this day arrive. So yeah. I don't mean to sound like I'm all that and a bag of chips, but it's why this wait has been 20 years for me. It's why my wife wouldn't let me NOT buy this car.

Even though I sort of reached a personal "peak car" situation years ago, I have to own this car.

Whew. Ok. That was a lot of drama for a Wednesday evening.

Fantastic, Jedi2115, that you'll be seeing your car so soon! Awesome.

Last edited:
Haven't received my call yet but starting to line up the electrician for home charging. Tesla recommended electrician (in the DC metropolitan area) wants to charge over $1,000 for installing a NEMA 14-50 literally right next to my electrical panel. Luckily, I just got a second quote for $600.
the_danimal,
For reference I have an electrician charging $1200 to install wall connector but he's coming from the panel across the house and garage. He said he'd charge $910 to run the NEMA 10-30 from the laundry room to the garage (1 room over). No patch work for either; incl. permit.

Reserved 3/31/2016 online
Ordered 6/27/18
Updated with white interior with the url trick 7/25/2018
Model 3 AWD non-p
msm
areo
Sept-Nov
Bay eara, CA

I was tortured by the wait, and suddenly got an email asking for quick delivery late this afternoon noon. After quick and firm confirmation, a newly assigned delivery advisor called me and set up the pickup for next weekend. Everything happened within two hours. Still cannot believe it.

My Prepare for Delivery was never finished since my driver's licence expiration needs an update. No VIN yet.

I tried for a last minute exterior color change to white, but was quoted $1000 more, and likely change of delivery date, so skipped that. Also confirmed the url edit worked, at least in late July.
Got the VIN on the website today: 9613*

Reactions: tony b and JFW1103
Pro Tip: the Tesla Wall Connectors must be wired with copper. $4/ft instead of aluminum $1.17/ft about. So for the 75’ run I had to do for my boss, I ran aluminum 100amp to a sub panel directly over the wall connector. And then ran the 100amp copper line only a foot or so into the unit. Gave him a disconnect at easy reach and saved a ton of money. And he has a full 80 amps of charge. So he can add a second slave unit when he has to finally relinquish the first tesla to his wife, and get his own. :p

• Informative
Reactions: MountainRatMat