Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven't received my call yet but starting to line up the electrician for home charging. Tesla recommended electrician (in the DC metropolitan area) wants to charge over $1,000 for installing a NEMA 14-50 literally right next to my electrical panel. Luckily, I just got a second quote for $600.

tenor.gif

Come on man if you're going to post that you have to do it as a GIF for maximum laugh factor.

I think I missed this part but what caused them to need to escalate yours?
Nothing, really...it was kind of unsolicited. Wasn't complaining or anything, I just called because I wanted an update and told him that 8 days ago they told me to call back in about a week or so, so I did. He very much made it seem like he was doing me a special favor, and he also made it sound like I should be further ahead in the process than I am, but that they're just backlogged.

Reactions: TechSavvyWife
Haven't received my call yet but starting to line up the electrician for home charging. Tesla recommended electrician (in the DC metropolitan area) wants to charge over $1,000 for installing a NEMA 14-50 literally right next to my electrical panel. Luckily, I just got a second quote for $600.

Can you be more specific about "right next to".

It's really not that hard to install a 14-50 outlet from your main box if you have open breaker slots and are somewhat handy. $40 for a high quality outlet and maybe another $60 for 20 feet of 6/3 Romex with ground.

When did you call in and get that (non) info?

Here's hoping they're a bit too slammed to be perusing TMC ;)
I've had 3-4 calls over the last month or so. The last one was yesterday morning with an inside sales floor manager. He got a (respectful) earful on what I think of their customer service so far. They have yet to visibly update my order to white interior after a month. He reassured me that the order went to the factory with the order change, that the factory sees the change, and that a VIN will be assigned to me for a car with white interior. He said that I don't yet have a VIN or an Owner Advisor. When I get an OA, I can expect delivery in 4-6 weeks after that. Last week I was told that I'd hear from an OA within 5-7 days. Tomorrow will be day 7 and I'm not holding my breath. Who knows? I have, unfortunately, lost confidence that anything the inside sales people or my website reflects reality in any way.

What else are people expecting? Freemont is producing 6,000 M3s per month. It's apparent you've done everything necessary to date. Anecdotally, you should have it in the next 4-6 wks.

What myself and others are expecting is to get our cars before people that ordered months or sometimes a year or more later who ordered the exact same config.

The hypothesis that Tesla batches orders into markets for delivery and THEN takes into account queue placement, etc., is possibly true, but honestly it wouldn't surprise me if this is how they are figuring out prioritization of these orders;

giphy.gif

Yes, my delivery in NJ today was cancelled 2 hours prior (hadn’t arrived yet, vague truck delays). I just checked my account and like you, my VIN no longer shows up underneat the RN # like it did before. Weird,..
I've seen Model S vehicles arrive on a car carrier. The car is wrapped in white plastic shrink-wrap. I've been told by Tesla they need a couple of days to prep your car, check your car and fix anything damaged in transit. From what you said they expected you to take delivery off the car carrier. That's nonsense. At least for me, take you time, get the car ready, schedule delivery. Or, as I was also told, add 2 days after carrier arrives to tentatively schedule a deliver and call a day or two before if unforeseen circumstances need to push delivery out a day or two. This is weird. People (on both sides) are rushing the process.

What else are people expecting? Freemont is producing 6,000 M3s per month. It's apparent you've done everything necessary to date. Anecdotally, you should have it in the next 4-6 wks.

Can you control opacity or alpha? I really don't like circles as they are antithetical to dense information. Here is more what I had in mind, there are other ways to accomplish it.
Going by week, #of reservations..post 6/20-something when reservation date was order date, for that week 100% of VINs or Deliveries is everything that was ordered. If you can control alpha or opacity 255 is full intensity, i.e. 255, 255, 255, 0-255. If you were dealing with just black, x axis would be week x-axis label could be month? Y-axis would be orders, scaled to Ymax the color would go from white (alpha of 0) to full (alpha of 255). What determines alpha is % VINs assigned or Delivered (2 charts one for VINs as f (reservations) other for deliveries as f(reservations). where f is function of. That might actually take 2 special charts for day1/day2 as there would be thousands of reservations. So, real case day 1, 30,000 reservations, 0 vins.. the Y axis would be white. if there were 30,000 VINs, the color would be solid black, like this type. You could actually do a heat map like ROYGBIV. Black may be easier. Once you get past..about 4/10 don't reservations go into the 10's/day. I'm not sure how much of that is possible but I do believe bar chart is more dense than circle chart. If you'd rather do other stuff during your day or evening, I totally understand that.
Wat8.jpg

What myself and others are expecting is to get our cars before people that ordered months or sometimes a year or more later who ordered the exact same config.
Look, it's your call but I don't think that's a realistic expectation. Let me rephrase. While a realistic expectation, it appears to be what they are doing for whatever rationale and, as customer, not a lot we can do. I suggest a glass of wine, maybe some herbal relief. We, the customer, are not going to change how they do business. We can either accept that which we cannot change or scream at Firefox.

Perhaps every time someone calls they get pushed back a month.

Look, it's your call but I don't think that's a realistic expectation. Let me rephrase. While a realistic expectation, it appears to be what they are doing for whatever rationale and, as customer, not a lot we can do. I suggest a glass of wine, maybe some herbal relief. We, the customer, are not going to change how they do business. We can either accept that which we cannot change or scream at Firefox.

Perhaps every time someone calls they get pushed back a month.

I disagree. We, the customer, can change what they're doing and how they do it. People that grow dissatisfied enough to take their business elsewhere will fundamentally hurt the company. Enough voices threatening to do that can change what they're doing and how they do that. They can't stay in business if they can't sell cars.

We, the customer, are not going to change how they do business. We can either accept that which we cannot change or scream at Firefox.
Unfortunately, I think you might be wrong about this. The customers here seem to be pushing the reps they speak to on the phone to circumvent the process Tesla has in place, just due to making their jobs less pleasant. On top of that, they come here and tell about their solution to the backlog, which in turn causes others to follow suit and further increase call volumes. Every car that get's pushed to a squeaky wheel is just pushing back everyone else.

I disagree. We, the customer, can change what they're doing and how they do it. People that grow dissatisfied enough to take their business elsewhere will fundamentally hurt the company. Enough voices threatening to do that can change what they're doing and how they do that. They can't stay in business if they can't sell cars.
Personally, people jumping ship from waiting are not a big concern for this company. There is NO competitive car available today, Period. Threats are not actions. We all obviously want this car enough to put up with a lot of BS. Now, if by the end of Q3 2019 they have masses of dissatisfied customers, then they will be in trouble, but if there are a ton of fast and beautiful cars around every major city, I predict the demand will only grow. Most people in this world are not looking to buy a car in the next 12 months, but when they are in the market, getting beat on every freeway on-ramp by a Model 3, that costs the same as the car they might be looking at, will start to draw their attention. Hopefully us early adopters drive the cars responsibly, but not like hyper milers either. We will be their advertising.

Let’s all just remember these are people just trying to do their jobs. The people we are talking to don’t make the decision on who gets what car. All we do when we call to complain is make someone’s day worse that, realistically, has no or very little impact on our delivery. If anything it just makes them want to quit and puts deliveries out further while Tesla finds a replacement who knows less. Let’s all just be patient. Getting a car today vs. Dec 31 probably has little impact on 99% of people waiting. I understand some people’s cars are dieing or there are other logistial issues but that is probably a small minority.

Delivery has been scheduled for Monday, September 3rd (Labor Day) since a week ago, which was perfect for me and my friend who is picking up his Model 3 the same time/place. We got an email today saying, in essence, "oops, didn't realize it was Labor Day, you have to reschedule". Well, there's not a date anywhere near as convenient given it's a 360 mile round trip and taking a day off of work is less than ideal. Wanted to do it on Saturday the 1st, but the timing there is nightmarish as I have to get to Memphis the same day and timing would be very marginal.

Asked to switch pickup to Sept. 8th, but was told there was no possible way they could keep the car that long and the latest was Sept. 3rd (even though that day isn't available and they'd initially offered for me to pick up on the 4th).

Asked and found out, even though not previously offered, that direct home delivery is an option since I live >160 miles away...great.... but now they won't have anything available for direct delivery until after Sept. 8th.... That's right, so now they CAN sit on my car until after the 8th for direct delivery, but not for pickup.... and I'd have to send the check ahead of time and they can't guarantee how it will be shipped (enclosed trailer or not).

Ok, that's too long, I'm back to taking a day off of work and picking it up on Sept. 4th....

IDA VERY slow to respond to emails, doesn't answer phone or return calls. Had much better results calling the delivery/service center directly.

This has been frustrating.

From what you said they expected you to take delivery off the car carrier.

No, I don’t think Tesla was expecting me to accept delivery off of the truck. When I scheduled the delivery a week ago, my IDA said the car was going to arrive at the delivery center this past Sunday, so we scheduled delivery for today specifically to allow them time to prep and inspect. They just didn’t notify me until 2 hours prior...

No, I don’t think Tesla was expecting me to accept delivery off of the truck. When I scheduled the delivery a week ago, my IDA said the car was going to arrive at the delivery center this past Sunday, so we scheduled delivery for today specifically to allow them time to prep and inspect. They just didn’t notify me until 2 hours prior...
I've seen other seem to imply effectively pick up your car as soon as it arrives. When I thought mine would be delivered through Dedham, MA I spoke to the sales guy who gave me the test drive in an S. He said, yeah, sometimes there is minor damage, cracked windshield or whatever, they fix it prior to you seeing it, ditto with minor scratches. I think it scary that the customer has to point out defects and damage to the service center. That should have ALL been resolved before the owner even showed up. That's why I responded to you. As it happens though, I'll have to drive 2 1/2 hrs to Mt Kisco to take delivery as I have a trade-in. That annoys me to an extent but is mitigated by a 2 1/2 hr ride back, more than enough time for the EAP to learn back roads, highways and interstates. So I believe for the bulk of that 2 1/2 hrs I'll be enjoying EAP driving so I can try various steering configurations, std, comfort, sport. It'll be exciting. Sure, I'd much prefer the 1hr Dedham, MA drive but, it is what it is.