Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received a call this morning cancelling our planned delivery tomorrow morning. Extremely vague, something about the car missing its truck to the service center for detailing. They claim the car is in Tacoma, WA with no way to get here in time which is funny because Tacoma is less than an hour's drive from our home.

Curiously, the VIN assignment has also disappeared from our page on Tesla's site. Doubly curious because they previously sent email suggesting we could arrange insurance on the VIN that no longer shows up. Anyone have a similar experience? My wife is less than impressed given that they've already transferred money from our account for the sale.
These stories are spooking me, I take delivery of my red AWD with 19's on Friday in Bellevue. I might have to swing by the lot to see if it's there. My rep was based out of NV, and she assured me she always plans for a few days in case of issues, but that it was already en route back over a week ago...

Where you are running into risk is when you sell your home and something you did on your own that was never inspected comes back to bite you if it comes up during the sale.

Other risk is that your garage burns down, insurance adjuster discovers you did 240V electrical installation in the garage with no permit and the fire was electrical in nature. Could be used to limit your claim.

Not advising against inspections... just that they very rarely ensure an installation is correct. From what I've read the DIY / insurance bit is an urban legend. It's 'negligence' that's the catch all. Doing your due diligence to DIY an outlet is far less negligent than keeping oily rags near the space heater in the garage. Both would almost certainly be covered because that's why we buy insurance... Having a gasoline fight in the garage? That's probably a grey area....

Last edited:
Reactions: arnolddeleon
Not advising against inspections... just that they very rarely ensure an installation is correct. From what I've read the DIY / insurance bit is an urban legend. It's 'negligence' that's the catch all. Doing you due diligence to DIY an outlet is far less negligent than keeping oily rags near the space heater in the garage. Both would almost certainly be covered because that's why we buy insurance... Having a gasoline fight in the garage? That's probably a grey area....

My electrical inspector was a journeyman electrician before he went to work for the county so he saw both sides of it.

He mentioned that when he was in the field some of the things inspectors got hung up about seemed idiotic to him and a waste of time and money. After inspecting for five years and seeing some of the “hair on fire terrifying” things (his words) that pros and especially homeowners do he understood why inspections are required.

He was pretty competent, complimented me on my work but pointed out some minor things neither I or my electrical sub who did my conduit entry aluminum pull caught.

If you want an EV in that segment, it’s Tesla or nothing.

As far as I know, models like the e-tron quattro and the i-Pace won’t be imported in anywhere near the volumes necessary to affect Tesla’s numbers.

It’s a shame, really, because they need the competition to motivate them to get their act together.

But there are other options that would satisfy a temporary need and will hopefully push Tesla. People (like myself if it becomes necessary) could go out and lease a Hyundai Kona EV (within a month or two), Kia Niro EV (hopefully by the end of Q1 of 2019), or longer range 2019 Leaf (also sometime in Q1 of next year) for another 3 years until other vehicles show up with AWD and 120+kW charging (particularly as the Electrify America stations get built out) for similar pricing to the Model 3.

Don't think so, I have a (hopefully delivered in about 40 hours) mine being delivered.
Configured 6/28
Emailed 8/13
VIN 8/19
Delivery scheduled 8/24
Red / AWD / Black Interior / 19's

There have been several AWD 19's but not certain combinations. White interiors on non-P AWD with 19s are few and far between. I don't believe I've seen a single one of my config yet (Blue/White/AWD/19s/EAP)

Reactions: NetBrowned
It's been a busy week, but wanted to update with our VIN. Our edit button disappeared Sunday and we received our first IDA email Monday. Our IDA had everything confirmed that day and sent our MVPA and VIN (96,0XX) Tuesday evening. The bank transfer was initiated yesterday, and it should be completed today. It then gets shipped to Texas, then trucked to Oklahoma. Fourteen days is the general estimate he gave, but we will have better dates once it actually ships. Our IDA, Brenden, is really great. We have had multiple emails back and forth each day so communication hasn't been an issue at all.

Reserved: 4/24/2017
Invited: 6/27/2018
Configured: 6/28/2018
Edit to White Interior: 7/24
Edit button disappeared: 8/19
IDA contact: 8/20
VIN: 8/21 (96,0XX)

LR AWD
Midnight Silver Metallic
Premium White Interior
Aero
EAP

Reactions: willa1975
Just a note on the price discrepancies between Tesla approved electricians and normal licensed electricians. I got quoted by a Tesla approved company ~$1300 to install a Nema 14-50, or HPWC about 5ft from my panel (no panel upgrades needed). I thought this was really high and called around. I got quotes from 8 other licensed electricians (looked up their licenses myself) that ranged from $350-$600. The lower bids were without a permit and wife insisted we get a permit because of insurance, despite it being a fairly straight forward job. The Tesla approved electrician's quote included a permit ($550 alone is the cost of the permit from my city), the other quotes jumped to $2000-$3000 when I asked about a permit. Some because they didn't want the hassle of applying online, doing load calculations and meeting with the inspector, others because their time to do all the work added up to more than the Tesla approved company. Believe me, I'm as surprised as you guys the Tesla approved company came in least expensive.

Back to the thread. As badly as I want my car and how sick I am of people asking if I have it yet, I'm really happy to see 3/31-4/2 reservation holders getting calls. Especially excited because of the white interiors being delivered. I understand there are obscure, ones offs with people either getting their cars early, or potentially overlooked, but until someone who ordered the same time or after, with the same config AND location gets theirs before me I'll try to be patient. Doesn't help that the call I made to them two weeks ago (they accidentally changed my config, long story) ended with them saying I might get a call the following week = |.
This is my EXACT situation. First was with permit. Second is without. I’m conflicted now on what to do. What are the ramifications/risks of not getting it permitted?

The electrician I talked to had the same comment you mentioned RE: time vs. the work. I’m trying to weigh the pros and cons here to determine if $400 is worth the piece of mind.

This is my EXACT situation. First was with permit. Second is without. I’m conflicted now on what to do. What are the ramifications/risks of not getting it permitted?

The electrician I talked to had the same comment you mentioned RE: time vs. the work. I’m trying to weigh the pros and cons here to determine if $400 is worth the piece of mind.
How much is a permit where you live? I can't believe some of these prices. 550 bucks! My county charged $80. My total cost including the permit was under $300, and I needed 50 ft of 6/3 Romex, which was the bulk of the materials cost.

I feel like I have pretty solid evidence that the PRICE of the configuration is playing a big part in the cars they are making and assigning right now. I have had my car ordered for a month and a half now.

Two people within my same state that are picking up at the same SC as me ordered within the last few days already have deliveries scheduled.

My build is a basic AWD car. Theirs has EAP and/or white interior or white exterior.

They also ordered later so they are paying more for paint + AWD.

I think it seems strange that they got theirs scheduled and I have nothing.

Bare in mind, I'm not complaining. I actually think waiting could have it's benefits. I want as many problems resolved as possible when I get my car and I would like for things like my badge to be installed by the time I get it so I don't have to worry about going back and doing that later.

I just think it's interesting how they are doing everything. If i knew 100% for a fact that adding EAP, or white interior would get me my car faster. I might would consider doing that. I don't know. I would just like to understand how it works.

Edit: None of people in this story had reservations.

Pssshh. Turning off the main breaker is for p*ssies. Real men work on hot wires. ;)

On a more serious note, I'd not recommend to DIY even if you have the skills. If there is an electrical fire and your house burns down, and the insurance finds out the installation wasn't done by a certified electrician, you might be in deep trouble ...
Not true IF the work was permited and inspected!

If your paying an electrician. Just keep the invoice for liability. From an insurance perspective nothing negligent about hiring an electrician to install a 240v run to your panel. I would think that most people would NOT get a permit for something as simple as that. Technically your supposed to pull a permit if you change out your hot water heater....