Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tend to agree with voip-ninja.
Keep in mind though the people saying, "I've been waiting 2 1/2 yrs" have been waiting for factories to be built, money to be raised, production lines to get ready, supply chains to be created, etc. First there was the pre-production models, set configuration, $49,000. I don't even recall when actual M3 production start. All the RWD orders were filled before AWD was even started, and that was 6 weeks ago, was it not, 7/1? So, in one sense, yes, it feels like it's been forever, but that is what ordering a product having not even been announced means. The people who ordered last month are thinking, hey, I got a 2-3 month wait, I'll take the $7500 fed credit, my $3,000 state credit, and chill until Oct or November. Compare that to someone waiting 2 1/2 yrs. There's a manufacturer of commercial and amateur radio equipment that, routinely, takes orders on future radios, not even being produced yet. It also routinely turns out there are engineering changes they discover due to real world issues not discovered until the first production run is sold, some 12-18 months later. All those "early adopters" were the guini pigs, the canaries in the coal mine. But they have bragging rights as they ordered a product before they even saw it. I get it, I ordered about a year ago exactly. However, I am not at the point of declaring nobody at Tesla has a clue. I spent a career in software development, commercial and government software. I know how it works and it is not a random number generator. I trust Tesla marketing when they say we give a 1-3 month window and we are hitting month 2 deliveries (which mean month 1 production).
My take, people should relax and back off the harsh rhetoric. For those that slide into Jan, you car will arrive in January. Look at it this way. When you come out the other end, you'll have a really nice car and, at least, a $3500 tax credit.

I do want to understand the pros/cons of the permit given my choices.
As a firefighter, fire inspector, and real estate broker... I have seen a lot of wiring issues. Getting a permit does several things.

First, it puts another set of trained eyes on the project. The helps to make sure things are done correctly. Mind you even inspectors miss stuff.... we are human too!

Second, if there is ever an issue, it being permited shifts the liability off you.

Third, when you sell the house, it being permited vs not eliminates any potential issues which could arrise if the home inspector finds any problems and permits are checked.

Fourth, if it is wired incorrectly and you have an issue while charging at night (asleep) it may cost you your life!

I tend to agree with voip-ninja. I have been informed that there is absolutely no way for anyone in customer service to know when you might receive your car until it is matched with a car post-production. The system that does the matching is not, as I understand it, capable of estimating when your car will be matched. I believe the Tesla people with whom you spoke looked at your account and determined that there are no problems. Based on that information, it seems they determined that you should be matched with a car in next month or so. Given the estimated rate of production, that is probably a safe bet for them.

But I don't think the people with whom you spoke had any special information about your specific production timeline.
Perhaps you're right...perhaps not. My point is, so what? We were all given a window. If that window is passed or changes, then it will change. If they deliver in that window they deliver in that window. There is absolutely nothing any of us can do or say to change it so unless you are prepared to cancel your order it is pointless to complain about it. Personally, I am not prepared to cancel...not now or 2 more years from now. So I wait. I knew it was going to be a wait. It is what it is. Word to the wise. Go test drive one. It makes it A LOT easier to wait on when you know what's waiting at the end of the rainbow.

Dan

Keep in mind though the people saying, "I've been waiting 2 1/2 yrs" have been waiting for factories to be built, money to be raised, production lines to get ready, supply chains to be created, etc. First there was the pre-production models, set configuration, $49,000. I don't even recall when actual M3 production start. All the RWD orders were filled before AWD was even started, and that was 6 weeks ago, was it not, 7/1? So, in one sense, yes, it feels like it's been forever, but that is what ordering a product having not even been announced means. The people who ordered last month are thinking, hey, I got a 2-3 month wait, I'll take the $7500 fed credit, my $3,000 state credit, and chill until Oct or November. Compare that to someone waiting 2 1/2 yrs. There's a manufacturer of commercial and amateur radio equipment that, routinely, takes orders on future radios, not even being produced yet. It also routinely turns out there are engineering changes they discover due to real world issues not discovered until the first production run is sold, some 12-18 months later. All those "early adopters" were the guini pigs, the canaries in the coal mine. But they have bragging rights as they ordered a product before they even saw it. I get it, I ordered about a year ago exactly. However, I am not at the point of declaring nobody at Tesla has a clue. I spent a career in software development, commercial and government software. I know how it works and it is not a random number generator. I trust Tesla marketing when they say we give a 1-3 month window and we are hitting month 2 deliveries (which mean month 1 production).
My take, people should relax and back off the harsh rhetoric. For those that slide into Jan, you car will arrive in January. Look at it this way. When you come out the other end, you'll have a really nice car and, at least, a $3500 tax credit.

Spot on dude

• Love
Reactions: Ron Kerensky
Do you have a delivery window on the website? Mine is September 18th - December 18th. Had to call Tesla yesterday about a financing question and they verified that I was on track for a mid to late October delivery...right in the middle of my window. I think that would be a good estimate. I don't have a VIN yet either.

Dan
September 2018 - December 2018, not September 18th - December 18th. :cool:

• Funny
Reactions: Ron Kerensky
Perhaps you're right...perhaps not. My point is, so what? We were all given a window. If that window is passed or changes, then it will change. If they deliver in that window they deliver in that window. There is absolutely nothing any of us can do or say to change it so unless you are prepared to cancel your order it is pointless to complain about it. Personally, I am not prepared to cancel...not now or 2 more years from now. So I wait. I knew it was going to be a wait. It is what it is. Word to the wise. Go test drive one. It makes it A LOT easier to wait on when you know what's waiting at the end of the rainbow.

Dan
I'm not sure if your comments were directed at me, but my only point is that the Tesla customer service and delivery adviser teams do not seems to have access to timelines until the car has been produced and matched to a buyer.

Changed to the white interior a week ago and that changed my Spt - Nov delivery to be Oct - Dec. Crap.

Got a call yesterday that my car is ready and will pickup next week. Yeah!

Now I'm suspicious. How can a car I changed the design on two weeks ago suddenly been here? What happened to the normal process of in production, in transit, etc.? Do you suppose this is a car that was turned down by someone else that they are pawning off on me?

Reactions: S5S5G6 and dbemis
So yesterday my coworker (non-owner) decided to order the AWD. He had no reservation from before. Today his Edit Design link disappeared! It still says Oct to Dec for estimated delivery though, but he can't edit anything anymore.

If he’s paying cash and says so when filling out the checklist , the edit design link goes away immediately. Mines been gone for many weeks.

If he’s paying cash and says so when filling out the checklist , the edit design link goes away immediately. Mines been gone for many weeks.

Ah yes he did. So that means he can't change anything online now? Have to call in? I could tell him not to worry. I told him that he may be getting it next week and he was worried because he can't even charge it yet as he has not install the outlet.:p Maybe I should just let him think he is getting it very soon.... :rolleyes:

Changed to the white interior a week ago and that changed my Spt - Nov delivery to be Oct - Dec. Crap.

Now I'm suspicious. How can a car I changed the design on two weeks ago suddenly been here? What happened to the normal process of in production, in transit, etc.? Do you suppose this is a car that was turned down by someone else that they are pawning off on me?

This is happening to a lot of people this week. I think they produce in batches. Then find people to pair with the configurations later.
They obviously over made the white interior for regular AWD.

I am not an early reservation holder, so one question i am pursuing is what the early reservation status is and when AWD vins are done with it.

Here's my simple attempt to gauge the answer.

First, I don't want to dig into exact reservation dates (I am willing to be lazy with these error bounds), so I assume that May configurations are good indicators of early reservation orders. I assume that there's no reservation time bias there (people who were invited chose to do so fairly randomly in May from that reservation range, so all early invites should be fairly represented by May configs).

In May we have 33 vins vs 18 still outstanding reported. That gives as 95% confidence estimate of early invites having vin of 50.0% to 77.6% with mean of 64.7%. This may hold some pessimistic bias due to perhaps some reported reservations neglecting to report vin assignments. But let's assume there's no such neglecting.

So we are perhaps anywhere 50% to 77% through the early invites nation-wide on average, and, by extension, perhaps early reservations too. And it took roughly 3 weeks to get there (sure awd vins were trickling earlier, but AWD rates improved since then, so looking forward let's take 3 weeks at present rates).

That means that I probably will go away and mind my business and can check back in 2-3 weeks earliest for possible status change after early reservations are done. And since I am in CA, I can't hope for a significant outlier like VA fulfillment rates.

To put things in perspective, my Pacifica PHEV took 4 months since configuring an order. And i was a lucky one, a lot of people experienced twice as much. So Tesla AWD is not doing too bad perhaps even for people that did not have a reservation at all.

I think the Oct. - Dec. delivery estimate is generated by a script that looks to your contract date. By changing your interior, you had to sign a new contract, which means you have a new contract date. From my conversation with customer service, this date is not the date Tesla uses when deciding your place in line--it uses reservation date and the date you paid your configuration/order fee. So since a car was available for match and you had not been bumped back in line, you were next. Congrats.