Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I Audi S4 was a DSG transmission, so gear changes in hundredths of seconds, 0-60 in 4.4.

With 80% SOC or more, I am beyond impressed. Was not sure about the extra cash for P, and am not at all sorry I saved the money. Those who have driven the 3 and gush about the handling are not overstating it. Doing cloverleaf ramps marked 25mph at 45 is amazing, corners so flat, and handles the curves with an almost ho-hum attitude. Acceleration at 20, 30, even 40mph when you hammer the pedal is also just amazing.

Taken neighbors and girlfriend out on several trips, not one of them were not completely blown away by the performance and handling.

Hell yes. So excited!

Reservation: 3/31/16
Configuration: 7/9/18
MSM
AWD LR PUP
No EAP or FSD
Est. Delivery: Sept to Nov. 18

No contact yet from Tesla. No VIN.

Question: Since I'm 3 hours from Portland, Oregon, where the nearest delivery center is, do you think they are going to arrange delivery to my house? If so, does that delay things? Do I have an option to let them know I'm willing to go to pick up in Portland? I guess I'd be willing to go pick up in Portland versus home delivery if it meant getting the 3 sooner. In fact, I am quite sure some people would fly to Fremont to pick up a 3, me included. Would be kind of fun driving back up from California. Ok, but real question is about the home delivery versus Portland DC.

Have you exited a freeway/interstate on EAP? Did the car properly slow on the ramp, conversely, properly accelerate on an on-ramp?

I have tried it on a model S, the car slowed WAY down and drove like a granny when it approached a sharp 180 hairpin turn after the exit. The only way I was able to take an exit was when the Lane feeds into the exit and you have enough time for the auto lane change to change into the exit feeding lane. If you put your turn signal on and expect the car to exit, it will not, the car will maintain its lane and pass your exit.

I was able to do freeway to freeway the same way. (When the lane feeds into the new freeway) Freeway to freeway worked pretty well. The EAP merged fairly well when lanes would combine or with vehicles entering from the right on the freeway when driving in the far righthand lane. However, anytime I felt uncomfortable I would just take over. If you touch the brakes then just remember that the cruise control will no longer prevent you from hitting the car in front of you, it’s on you at that point so make sure that you use the brakes from then on or turn the cruise control back on. (Best not to have to try the emergency braking system from what I hear)

Non-owner
Live in Southern California
Reserved: 4/2/2016 Early AM PT
Configured: 6/27/2018
Changed to White Interior: 7/24/2018
Edit button disappeared and payment method turned yellow, requesting details: 8/19/2018

LR AWD non-P
Pearl White Paint
Premium White Interior
18" Aero
EAP, FSD

Finally, it's happening!!

Update #2 - VIN assigned: 5YJ3E1EB0JF096XXX

I don't know how to update the AWD spreadsheet. When I pull up the form, it is all blank, even though I've previously provided an entry. I think Troy's form pre-populates with your previous answers.

No delivery date yet - the IDA wanted to schedule for tomorrow, but the lender I'm using is not in their system so they need to add it before he can schedule me. That was Wednesday, and despite him telling me that he'd call me back yesterday with an update (on two separate occasions), he has not called me back with an update. Frustrating that something that should take minutes is taking days.

I got my VIN by going into the Tesla store, which is a mile away from me, and purchasing a wall charger. If they can associate a VIN with the charger, the person at the store said it gets a 4-year warranty instead of a 1-year warranty. My VIN was on the invoice.

Update #2 - VIN assigned: 5YJ3E1EB0JF096XXX

I don't know how to update the AWD spreadsheet. When I pull up the form, it is all blank, even though I've previously provided an entry. I think Troy's form pre-populates with your previous answers.

No delivery date yet - the IDA wanted to schedule for tomorrow, but the lender I'm using is not in their system so they need to add it before he can schedule me. That was Wednesday, and despite him telling me that he'd call me back yesterday with an update (on two separate occasions), he has not called me back with an update. Frustrating that something that should take minutes is taking days.

I got my VIN by going into the Tesla store, which is a mile away from me, and purchasing a wall charger. If they can associate a VIN with the charger, the person at the store said it gets a 4-year warranty instead of a 1-year warranty. My VIN was on the invoice.

I can update for you, @gravedee. Not sure how the form works as I didn't design it, but I check for duplicate entries as long as the username is the same. Send me the username you used if you like.

With all the updates of people getting their AWDs or at a minimum, a larger percentage of folks on TMC getting delivery dates scheduled and VINs assigned, this seemed appropriate...

382.gif

• Funny
Reactions: tony b
I have tried it on a model S, the car slowed WAY down and drove like a granny when it approached a sharp 180 hairpin turn after the exit. The only way I was able to take an exit was when the Lane feeds into the exit and you have enough time for the auto lane change to change into the exit feeding lane. If you put your turn signal on and expect the car to exit, it will not, the car will maintain its lane and pass your exit.
That begs the next question. What level of software did the car have. My understanding, and there is a tad bit of confusion on this, is Tesla will roll out the beginning salvos of FSD in release 8 (or was it 9), due this fall. So did your M3 have 7, 8, or 9 out of the gate? Assuming you still have your S, what level is it at?

I Audi S4 was a DSG transmission, so gear changes in hundredths of seconds, 0-60 in 4.4.

With 80% SOC or more, I am beyond impressed. Was not sure about the extra cash for P, and am not at all sorry I saved the money. Those who have driven the 3 and gush about the handling are not overstating it. Doing cloverleaf ramps marked 25mph at 45 is amazing, corners so flat, and handles the curves with an almost ho-hum attitude. Acceleration at 20, 30, even 40mph when you hammer the pedal is also just amazing.

Taken neighbors and girlfriend out on several trips, not one of them were not completely blown away by the performance and handling.

I will be trading in my S4 when I take delivery. How would you compare the two?

I also decided not to go for the Performance version. Non-P AWD seems plenty fast. But I am considering upgrading tires

Depending on how much snow/ice you get in Winter, Nokian makes an awesome tire.
Snow in Seattle is negligible. I have had good experiences with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 and Dunlop Wintersports. Would consider Nokian if I did more actual snow driving.

I ordered the car with 19s. Planning to replace all-seasons with Michelin Pilot Super Sports and get a set of aeros for winters.

UPDATE:

Red / PUP - Black / EAP / 19's / AWD
Day 1 online reservation, configured 6/27, Edit gone and emailed 8/13, Delivered 8/23

Picked the car up at 4pm in Bellevue, WA. They did 4 deliveries at once, telling everyone VERY basics about the car, and then said "These cars are more about learning how to you use them as you drive them." I've already done loads of research as most of us on the forums have, so I was fine with that, but not sure about the others.

Used the Reddit Checklist from Teslike, and found a very tiny scratch in one rear tail light cover, and a very minor blemish on the front bumper. The rest of the car was utterly perfect. The panel gaps were amazing, glass was aligned without goop everywhere, no other issues period. I was the first to leave, just put it in D and pulled out. Very effortless overall, and I had never driven in or ridden in a Model 3 before rolling out of the Service Center, though I have driven a P100D.

I am truly in love, there is zero body roll taking 20mph cloverleaf ramps at 45. Torque for days (coming from a pretty highly modified 2010 Audi S4 supercharged, so no turbo lag, and 450hp). I am like so many others, not even close to regretting this decision. Not sad at all about saving the 5 figures by going AWD over P.

Chin up everyone - it is TOTALLY worth the wait.

Congrats!

Glad to hear you are enjoying the transition from your S4 to the 3. I'll be going from a 2013 S5. Less horsepower than yours though (333). I hope I'm also happy with the change.

This is good to hear, but it also adds to my anticipation. Now I'm not so sure. :)

Does anyone know if you make a change now, do we have to pay more for paint and things or are we grandfathered at the lower cost?
All of my prices (except for the delivery fee, but people said that should adjust back, even if it doesn't it was only $200 more) were the same as when I originally ordered. I half did the change because I liked white seats, and half because I thought it might help get it sooner :p I figured I would give it a couple weeks, then consider switching back to black seats. If you like them and don't mind the cost, go for it!

Reservation: 3/31/16
Configuration: 7/9/18
MSM
AWD LR PUP
No EAP or FSD
Est. Delivery: Sept to Nov. 18

No contact yet from Tesla. No VIN.

Question: Since I'm 3 hours from Portland, Oregon, where the nearest delivery center is, do you think they are going to arrange delivery to my house? If so, does that delay things? Do I have an option to let them know I'm willing to go to pick up in Portland? I guess I'd be willing to go pick up in Portland versus home delivery if it meant getting the 3 sooner. In fact, I am quite sure some people would fly to Fremont to pick up a 3, me included. Would be kind of fun driving back up from California. Ok, but real question is about the home delivery versus Portland DC.

I'm in Bend and I noticed on the edit design page if you view page source and search it shows delivery at 97702 pickup center, which is weird since there currently is no such thing and I live in 97701 zip code...I think they are planning to open up a service/pickup center very soon here.