Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, I just logged on to my Tesla account, selected the Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement and it is now completed. I've been assigned VIN# and the MVPA is ready for me to sign. I didn't receive an email or call to say I had been assigned a VIN or that the MVPA has been completed, no communication.
That's cool! So, as for 'signing', do you have to print it, physically sign it and fax/mail it to your bank/back to Tesla or do you electronically sign it as one can do with TurboTax on federal/state taxes?

That's cool! So, as for 'signing', do you have to print it, physically sign it and fax/mail it to your bank/back to Tesla or do you electronically sign it as one can do with TurboTax on federal/state taxes?
You get a link to eSign.

upload_2018-9-19_10-25-34.png

I tend to agree with @a.void here. We all want a perfect car and we all expect Tesla to do the right thing. 99% of the time they do. However sometimes you get a car that is either damaged enough, or needs enough repair that it should never be sold as new. In my particular case, I will be getting my car delivered out of Cleveland/Lindhurst which has had a few issues (Staggering amount of issues found at/after delivery. Considering returning the car.) and the DA/Body Shop people say it's "within tolerances" or get flippant about repairing issues. That's a case where I want to be able to refuse the car for one that is in proper "new" condition. Holding onto my money is the the best way I have of enforcing my right as a customer should a situation like this occur.

To be clear, I've done this every time I've purchased a car that wasn't already on the lot.
No. New car has a very specific meaning. Never been titled. So you can buy a 'new' car from a dealer that has 20,000 miles on it because it was never sold and titled to anyone. Cars arrive damaged all the time. With a dealership you never see that as they take car of minor things first, such as cracked windshield, cracked moonroof. scratches minor dents and scraps. If there is structural damage, that's different and dealships (including tesla) won't / can't sell that car as it has structural damage. The carrier's insurance pays the dealership (tesla in this case) but the car is STILL NEW.
I get for many people on here this is their first car or first new car. Within tolerance, fuzzy word, does not mean they won't fix it. Sure, you can refuse it but you don't get the next car in line. They order you a new one, fix the original and sell it to someone else as NEW because it IS new. That is how it works.

Reactions: gtbuzz
Using the united road link for details on my delivery, i found the delivery of VINs for the KC area interesting (the spread). Not sure it says anything, but like I said, interesting.

Delivered (to KC service center): 9/7/18
55559, 64026, 66048, 76000, and 966XX [Model 3s]
262712 [Model S]

Why would you reject it? Regular car dealerships are not immune to cars coming in damaged in transit. After the car is unloaded if there is damage it's first stop is their body shop. For instance, I was told by the Dedham, MA showroom people, if a car arrives damaged they will fix it, ideally before pickup. If it is unfixable they will reject it and carrier insurance handles paying them for it. If it is fixable but you arrive as it's being unloaded they will schedule with you a time for them to fix it and give you a loaner (maybe an S). Or, if it's minor, fix it while you wait. Why would you reject it and go back in line? I mean that as a serious question.

Because body shop paint job is never as good as the factory paint, that's why.

And that car, likely 40%+/- of the time was damaged in transit but you never knew about it. That includes if you ordered that car.

What's your source for this 40% statistic? Cars do get damaged in transit, but I've never seen anything like that statistic so it would be interesting to see what your source is, or if this is another case of you pulling a number out of thin air and presenting it like it's factual.

From what I've been observing, they like to assign a VIN about seven days prior if possible. My personal guess is that their ambitious goal was that you'd have a VIN assigned by the 17th, but it won't display in your account until the 22nd as you've chosen the 28th. If it looks like it will be in town before the 26th, I think you may receive a call offering to pick it up early. If it doesn't look like it's going to arrive by the 26th, I predict you'll get a delivery delay call. My mistake may have been choosing the 22nd (earliest day in my window) so that's why I got a delay call. If the rumors are true that the VIN stays assigned to you even if they remove it from view in your account, my hope is that I'll get a call offering an earlier delivery than my new date of 10/2 if it comes in sooner than 9/30.

Have you been able to track your VIN on the shipping site? I am scheduled for 9/25 delivery in Eden Prairie, had an initial range of 9/22-9/29. I got a VIN assigned yesterday (almost exactly 7 days before delivery to the hour), but it can't be found on the shipping site. I'm wondering if I'm caught up in the rumored MN delay. Haven't received any contact from an IDA, although my DSA gave me her name.

Have you been able to track your VIN on the shipping site? I am scheduled for 9/25 delivery in Eden Prairie, had an initial range of 9/22-9/29. I got a VIN assigned yesterday (almost exactly 7 days before delivery to the hour), but it can't be found on the shipping site. I'm wondering if I'm caught up in the rumored MN delay. Haven't received any contact from an IDA, although my DSA gave me her name.

I haven't seen anything to indicate that all Tesla vehicles are transported by United Road... is that the case?

• Informative
Reactions: TechSavvyWife

If you mean the United Road site, no I've never had any luck tracking my VIN there so I wonder if it hasn't left California yet. I hate to say it but you very well could be. It's possible they're still holding off calling you because there's still a chance it could arrive in time.

Interesting observation — i am exactly 7 days prior to my scheduled delivery according to the calendar entry in my order summary. It says 11 am Indy time but when I add the appt automatically it shows as 2 pm Indy time (11 am Calif time).

Just for kicks i looked at 11 am Indy time today. No VIN.

So I tried 159pm Indy time = No VIN.

Then tried 2pm Indy time /11am Calif time and VIN was there.

The United Road link shows it was delivered from Fremont to Richmond, CA on Sept 15.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ConcordeSST
Last sentence and first sentence completely contradict each other. One cannot issue a stop-payment to a cashiers check, a check from checkbook can be stopped. But, again, do what they instruct.
I agree it seems to contradict each other. My guess is that the checkbook is more for miscellaneous charges that come up during delivery (adjustment to taxes/fees, I don't know). I do know that Cashier's checks can be canceled with a stop payment. According to USAA it takes 90 days (!!) for it to clear after a stop payment request, which sucks because then that holds the money for 3 months. Either way, without a response to emails with questions I am left with the information they decided to provide me via email.

So the car is supposedly on a truck for home delivery as of Monday. I'm 3 hours away from the service center. At this point I'll get a call from the 3rd party shipper a few hours before it is delivered. I'm regretting not just scheduling a pickup this weekend. Even though I should still get my car before Saturday at least I would know when. This is driving me crazy. That being said I got the insurance quote and it is less than our Lexus RX which is a nice surprise.