Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think there is a lack of careful reading going on here. The comments about shipments to the east are a consequence of what I was told by Tesla Delivery yesterday and what someone else several days ago was told by Tesla delivery. First of all, I am not routing for failure. I AM in the east and, as far as I am concerned my car is overdue.
Starting some days back it was reported on here, I think it was a woman, spoke with delivery and was told Tesla was now delivering solely to CA or west coast (can't be sure at this point). What I was told yesterday was Tesla was fulfilling West Coast (2 ppl told this) and Canada. That first person wasn't told Canada. This is an easy test, call delivery and straight up ask them, don't call locals, don't call sales, I was told days back by my IDA that there was this 'new group' managing order fulfillment now and feel free to ask him questions but he was out of the loop as far as when where etc. This morning I received an email where a guy in sales said
"I wish I could provide more information but everything is sort of in the hands of the delivery team now. They will be able to help out soon."
People have gotten very argumentative over this. When we (that other person and myself) were told Tesla is currently shipping to West Coast (and Canada) only. Currently means at the present time. It does not mean last week, last month. Transporting a car across country is not instantaneous. It's far easier to pick up a car in Fremont than ship it to CT or NoVa. Sacramento is a few hundred miles from Freemont, the east coast is 3,000 miles from Fremont.
From Reuters on 9/24
(Reuters) - Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) is building its own car carriers, as the electric carmaker faces vehicle distribution problems. The company is upgrading its logistics system but running into an “extreme” shortage of car carrier trailers, Chief Executive Elon Musk tweeted on Monday in response to a customer, who placed order for a Model 3 All Wheel Drive (AWD) in June but has yet to receive the car.
In the absence of having your own fleet Tesla has to subcontract them. There MAY be regional supplies or scarcity which would lend credence to regional fulfillment. It is a critical component Tesla has zero control over. If one wanted to be really conspiratorial over it, ask yourself who has the most to gain if this "extreme" shortage is man-made. Not me, not the other person who mentioned it a few days ago. Yesterday 4:25pm @0mpg said "Very true. They told me I can have a car today if I wanted to fly to CA if not it’s weeks.". Yesterday at 3:42pm @VKM3 wrote ""All I hear from delivery people is "we don't have cars for your configuration in the east, we have plenty of cars in the west! Thank you for letting me know that you have cars in west......then why did you take my order to deliver a car to me, I guess we told you while ordering that our delivery location was not in CA". So seems multiple people have been told, effectively, the same thing.
Dan, this is not directed at you. Some people eager to deny the fact of that are marking these posts as "DISAGREE" we aren't making this up, we're messengers of what Tesla Delivery Team is telling us. I am highly confident in a week or two the fickle finger of fate will point to the East Coast or TX or TN. wait, they like oil in TN, so probably not there ;-) If someone takes delivery of something shipped 3 weeks ago, terrific, that was 3 weeks ago. There actually seems to be a storage hub in Chicago so maybe cars are stock piling there from weeks back. Interesting note: When I was first told I could pick up my car in Dedham, it wasn't at the SC, it was at the rail yard.
Personally I think people should chill and not assume someone is stating untruths on here. <wcorey out>
I’m also waiting for pickup in Dedham. So far calling delivery in Vegas has proven to be fruitless. It looks like the east coast is getting ignored. My timeline is September 18 to November 18. I’ll be ok till the beginning of December, but after that I’ll probably cancel.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Personally I think people should chill and not assume someone is stating untruths on here. <wcorey out>[/QUOTE said:
I don't think you or anyone else are telling untruths about interactions with Tesla. I've seen you and others get seriously inconvenienced by relying on what Tesla side says will happen or is happening. I am hoping you and others before me in the queue get your cars quick and am hoping to have mine by Dec or at least by Dec 31. I just wish Tesla interaction was more reliable...

I think there is a lack of careful reading going on here. The comments about shipments to the east are a consequence of what I was told by Tesla Delivery yesterday and what someone else several days ago was told by Tesla delivery. First of all, I am not routing for failure. I AM in the east and, as far as I am concerned my car is overdue.
Starting some days back it was reported on here, I think it was a woman, spoke with delivery and was told Tesla was now delivering solely to CA or west coast (can't be sure at this point). What I was told yesterday was Tesla was fulfilling West Coast (2 ppl told this) and Canada. That first person wasn't told Canada. This is an easy test, call delivery and straight up ask them, don't call locals, don't call sales, I was told days back by my IDA that there was this 'new group' managing order fulfillment now and feel free to ask him questions but he was out of the loop as far as when where etc. This morning I received an email where a guy in sales said
"I wish I could provide more information but everything is sort of in the hands of the delivery team now. They will be able to help out soon."
People have gotten very argumentative over this. When we (that other person and myself) were told Tesla is currently shipping to West Coast (and Canada) only. Currently means at the present time. It does not mean last week, last month. Transporting a car across country is not instantaneous. It's far easier to pick up a car in Fremont than ship it to CT or NoVa. Sacramento is a few hundred miles from Freemont, the east coast is 3,000 miles from Fremont.
From Reuters on 9/24
(Reuters) - Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) is building its own car carriers, as the electric carmaker faces vehicle distribution problems. The company is upgrading its logistics system but running into an “extreme” shortage of car carrier trailers, Chief Executive Elon Musk tweeted on Monday in response to a customer, who placed order for a Model 3 All Wheel Drive (AWD) in June but has yet to receive the car.
In the absence of having your own fleet Tesla has to subcontract them. There MAY be regional supplies or scarcity which would lend credence to regional fulfillment. It is a critical component Tesla has zero control over. If one wanted to be really conspiratorial over it, ask yourself who has the most to gain if this "extreme" shortage is man-made. Not me, not the other person who mentioned it a few days ago. Yesterday 4:25pm @0mpg said "Very true. They told me I can have a car today if I wanted to fly to CA if not it’s weeks.". Yesterday at 3:42pm @VKM3 wrote ""All I hear from delivery people is "we don't have cars for your configuration in the east, we have plenty of cars in the west! Thank you for letting me know that you have cars in west......then why did you take my order to deliver a car to me, I guess we told you while ordering that our delivery location was not in CA". So seems multiple people have been told, effectively, the same thing.
Dan, this is not directed at you. Some people eager to deny the fact of that are marking these posts as "DISAGREE" we aren't making this up, we're messengers of what Tesla Delivery Team is telling us. I am highly confident in a week or two the fickle finger of fate will point to the East Coast or TX or TN. wait, they like oil in TN, so probably not there ;-) If someone takes delivery of something shipped 3 weeks ago, terrific, that was 3 weeks ago. There actually seems to be a storage hub in Chicago so maybe cars are stock piling there from weeks back. Interesting note: When I was first told I could pick up my car in Dedham, it wasn't at the SC, it was at the rail yard.
Personally I think people should chill and not assume someone is stating untruths on here. <wcorey out>

Come on man.. stop beating a dead horse and just move on. the_danimal clearly said he knows someone who took delivery in the east this week, I've seen posts in various places of people in the east taking deliveries in the past couple of days. Your sources telling you the focus is elsewhere right now, next 5 minutes, whatever. Don't get so bent out of shape because someone hit "disagree". This is a silly argument, let's just move on and continue feeding each other's FIA. :D

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and cct3
This is a good sign!
Screenshot_20181007-044632_Email.jpg

Not a good “delivery day”....

Had pickup today for 5:15pm. They called me at 1pm and said if I would like home delivery. I said sure, as long as they can give an extra inspection before they brought it. Long story short as to why, I have already received a model 3 with so many paint problems that Tesla bought it back, and this is my “replacement” car.

Set home deliver for 4pm. Nothing until 5:30pm, get a call. Saying can arrive 6:30pm. I said ok, but reiterated please, look over the car. If car is not ok I will reject. Gave me a speech that the Tesla team already inspect the car strictly etc etc. I said, please, look at the car. Sure enough, calls me 10 min later that the front bumper is scratched, and detail team will try to correct but gone for the day.

I’m pissed. This sucks. Had him send me a picture. No idea how bad it is or if it can be buffed out but I am definitely not doing to receive a car that needs body work....AGAIN.

Here’s a pic. Hoping for good news in the morning, but not optimistic at all.....what else can be wrong on top of this.....

1BB813FF-380C-49B5-8DE4-35A05166DE58.jpeg
1BB813FF-380C-49B5-8DE4-35A05166DE58.jpeg

I get it @wcorey, you’re just stating what you’ve been told. But I’d ask you don’t get bent out of shape when we eager to take delivery of a car we reserved years ago try to disprove this.

I haven’t heard this party line. If anything, I’m sticking with the fact (until told otherwise) that my car left Fremont a week ago by rail and will arrive on the east coast by October 15th.

Let me also just say that, if this pans out to be true, it’s an awful and shortsighted strategy on Tesla’s part. Not just because of customer expectations as the tax credit phase out looms, but also because focusing on the west coast means — at some point — you’ll have to confront your logistics hell en masse. I get the need for profitability now, but why risk it to only have deliveries dip in subsequent quarters because you chose to kick the can down the road in terms of confronting the challenge.

Just a thought because I’m emotionally invested in this like the rest of us and that is why we want to vehemently oppose what you’ve heard, not because we think you’re lying.

Had pickup today for 5:15pm. They called me at 1pm and said if I would like home delivery. I said sure, as long as they can give an extra inspection before they brought it. Long story short as to why, I have already received a model 3 with so many paint problems that Tesla bought it back, and this is my “replacement” car.

Set home deliver for 4pm. Nothing until 5:30pm, get a call. Saying can arrive 6:30pm. I said ok, but reiterated please, look over the car. If car is not ok I will reject. Gave me a speech that the Tesla team already inspect the car strictly etc etc. I said, please, look at the car. Sure enough, calls me 10 min later that the front bumper is scratched, and detail team will try to correct but gone for the day.

I’m pissed. This sucks. Had him send me a picture. No idea how bad it is or if it can be buffed out but I am definitely not doing to receive a car that needs body work....AGAIN.

Here’s a pic. Hoping for good news in the morning, but not optimistic at all.....what else can be wrong on top of this.....

View attachment 341599 View attachment 341599

I’m terribly sorry this happened.

I’m going to add this to my list of FIAs. It is now prioritized in order based on the anxiety it causes me.
  1. The VIN assigned to me will be given to someone else.
  2. “The car never really left Fremont. Oh wait, it was never actually produced yet.”
  3. “The car has a severe problem and is undeliverable, back in the queue you go!”
  4. The car is delivered without wheels and on cinderblocks. Actually, that’s a bit extreme, but I’m fearful that a lot of red vehicles (which we paid more for) have more paint quality issues.
  5. “The car never arrived, we don’t know where it is (even though we can track it everywhere it goes).”
  6. They decide to focus on west coast vs. east coast deliveries.
  7. “Elon tweeted and we’re bankrupt.”
I’m sure I am missing something. But this is enough to make my eye twitch and my heart palpitate.

Or to eat, it depends on your vice.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
The situation seems to be that the people scheduling in Las Vegas don't have a clue what is really happening. It looks like they are using a dartboard with only future dates on and just throwing darts to pick one.
The local folk are getting bad information and the transit information is just nonsense when they look it up.
That seems about right.

Tesla could have helped themselves immensely by not scheduling appts until the car arrived at the location with a real prediction 1 week in advance before then.
You are absolutely right, and I have a strong suspicion why they didn't do that (though it was still a big mistake). People often need up to a week's notice to pick up the car (particularly if they are far from the delivery center), and *the delivery centers don't have parking lots capable of storing a week's deliveries*. If one center is delivering 200 cars a day, they need parking space for over 1500 cars in order to buffer things while still giving customers adequate notice. They just didn't do that.

I hear they are now buying more parking lots, so maybe they will be able to start doing as you suggest.

Lots of goodwill being squandered by this and lots of otherwise potential customers are watching all of this.
Agreed.

View attachment 341599 View attachment 341599
You know, honestly, I scratched my Model S bumper that badly myself a week after delivery. If you're as accident-prone as I am, I'd just take it. I do believe it can be buffed out (though the red color is harder to work with). If you keep your car in showroom condition, wait to see how well they clean it up. Otherwise, maybe, ask for compensation to accept it as-is?

If I believed that every department of Tesla operated the way these delivery/logistics clowns do, I would be very very worried about moving one more inch forward. But from everything I have heard and read from these fine TMC people, It is somehow worth it. I choose to drink that kool-Aid. hope it goes down well. lol

Here's the summary of the company:

Hardware engineering and production is amazing.
Service techs for hardware repair work are amazing.
Software engineers are substandard, but tolerable.
Communications/logistics are appalling.

They've been ignoring their communications failures for years. I think it's finally in the spotlight so they might start trying to fix it now.

Come on man.. stop beating a dead horse and just move on. the_danimal clearly said he knows someone who took delivery in the east this week, I've seen posts in various places of people in the east taking deliveries in the past couple of days. Your sources telling you the focus is elsewhere right now, next 5 minutes, whatever. Don't get so bent out of shape because someone hit "disagree". This is a silly argument, let's just move on and continue feeding each other's FIA. :D

I took delivery “in the east” this week! So yes, it is true. Rhode Island, a very, very small state. Located new New England, on the East Coast! (My attempt at being funny)

Look, I think everyone is feeling frustrated and rightfully so! We all want our cars, we are supporting a company and we want to feel supported in return. That was me with my first post like 4 days ago but I’ve gotten to a place now that I have to let some things go, everything will eventually turn out okay. If this were December 7th, than ya, it’s okay to be stressed and pissed but there is still time. Everyone who is struggling and frustrated and feeling lied to, take a deep breath (not being rude, a therapeutic deep breath) and just try and be positive! Take me for example, car was delivered Wednesday: seat needs to be replaced as there is an unknown stain on it, whole car was buffed by what appears to be a 5 year old and I STILL CANT DRIVE IT! And I’m doing better about that now because eventually it will all get fixed and I will be able to drive it! Stay positive everyone!!!!!!

I get it @wcorey, you’re just stating what you’ve been told. But I’d ask you don’t get bent out of shape when we eager to take delivery of a car we reserved years ago try to disprove this.

I haven’t heard this party line. If anything, I’m sticking with the fact (until told otherwise) that my car left Fremont a week ago by rail and will arrive on the east coast by October 15th.
Not to put too fine a point on it but when you disagree with someone statement you're effectively calling them a liar orbut when y

Let me also just say that, if this pans out to be true, it’s an awful and shortsighted strategy on Tesla’s part. Not just because of customer expectations as the tax credit phase out looms, but also because focusing on the west coast means — at some point — you’ll have to confront your logistics hell en masse. I get the need for profitability now, but why risk it to only have deliveries dip in subsequent quarters because you chose to kick the can down the road in terms of confronting the challenge.

Just a thought because I’m emotionally invested in this like the rest of us and that is why we want to vehemently oppose what you’ve heard, not because we think you’re lying.

We're all emotionally invested Dan and I realize you weren't the one 'disagreeing' with me. When someone repeats an 'expert' statement and someone else disagrees that is a statement against the veracity of the messenger. Did you, and others, catch the phrase "Extreme" in Elon Musk's statement. That's his word, not mine. They are trying to deal with an incredibly serious...dare I say extreme problem is distribution channels. Personally, it would seem to me the power of the dollar would be more efficient in freeing up resources than building your own supply chain. Pay the carriers a premium over what Ford, Chevy etc are paying them. I hope they aren't physically making their own fleet but rather paying TroyBuilt or Kenwood or whoever to build them. That seems like a really long term solution to a short term problem.
And then there's this: Just because "currently" they are avoiding non West Coast and Canadian destinations doesn't mean next Monday they won't be shipping to the East Coast. What she told me, and what those others were told is currently there are no shipments (leaving Fremont?) destined to the East coast. It didn't preclude 2-3 weeks ago there were shipments. I'd guess likely their are opportunistically shipping based on carrier availability. If they have an excess of carriers in West Coast and Canada, flood the zone. When carrier fleets free up east of the Mississippi, flood that zone.

When you 'disagree' with someone that is functionally telling people that person is wrong. That makes it personal. I get delivery of M3s is emotional, who is confirmed to the Supreme Court is emotional, the state of our political discourse is emotional.

I tend to agree with Ben Sullins (Teslanomics), Elon is clearly a visionary. He is clearly not a strategist. He needs to hire a COO to run Tesla that knows manufacturing and distribution because he is sucking at it. Again, that's a long term solution and we're all in a short term vise.

The singular flaw in the M3 design is the lack of a heads-up display directly behind the steering wheel. Tactical display should be w/i your field of vision not where it forces redirection and refocus. My drop-dead date on my order isn't Jan, it's this year. Tesla has demonstrated they are still in reaction mode. At some point that's a deal breaker. Now they did just hire a bunch of execs with experience they sorely need. TWT!

This is interesting! Is this a discriminator for deliveries? In other words, does everyone get these or just real, legit, actual 'the car is in, been prepped, ready for deliver". When I got the call to set up a delivery in Dedham, I never got one of these. Have those expecting in eminent delivery gotten one of these versus 'happy ears'? Dan, that sounds / looks official.

This is interesting! Is this a discriminator for deliveries? In other words, does everyone get these or just real, legit, actual 'the car is in, been prepped, ready for deliver". When I got the call to set up a delivery in Dedham, I never got one of these. Have those expecting in eminent delivery gotten one of these versus 'happy ears'? Dan, that sounds / looks official.
I am going to go by the delivery center this afternoon just to see if my car is on the lot. My suspicion is that this came from the delivery center, not the mothership. Perhaps this is unique to the Alpharetta location?

Dan

Reactions: wcorey
So... first post. Theoretically picking up my Model 3 AWD this Saturday after having a delivery appointment scheduled for last Saturday cancelled the day before. Wish me luck...
Follow up: Delivery completed! Smooth process, only took about 20 minutes. No issues with the car and I was able to sync it with my phone immediately. First driving impressions: it’s easily the best car I’ve ever driven. I need to go over it closely for any cosmetic issues; I was told I have 3 business days to report anything that’s not “up to Tesla standard.”