Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't throw tomatoes at me but, you guys think a no reservation, configure this weekend (Oct 14) guy like me would get it before the end of the year? Currently showing 2-4 months estimate.

In So Cal. Black and AWD option only.

Thanks.

Ordered Sunday 10/14 white AWD. Got a call today, delivery this Sunday 10/21.

Went to dealer Saturday and they did have in inventory in California AWD, 18in in multiple colors but white.

Reactions: austinmichaeld
Dan - did they take a personal check from you or did you need to do bank check?
I suggest taking a blank check to delivery. They'll give you an iPad. Sign into your Tesla account, there's a link to pay amount due via ACH. The Delivery Advisor will verify the amount due. Put in that amount, use the Routing and Account numbers from your check to complete the online payment. It will show up in seconds. Put your blank check back in your pocket and drive home in your new car.

Is there any simple way to see if my car is actually AWD vs RWD? How can this be physically verified? Is the front motor visible by looking under the car? Is AWD also shown in the software somewhere?
Easiest way to verify is to tap the Tesla icon at the top of the screen. If it says "Dual Motor" then it's AWD. If there's a red line underneath the "Dual Motor" then it's the Performance version. If you see red brake calipers behind the wheels, then the car has the Performance Upgrade Package (PUP).

Never heard of an RWD model showing Dual Motor. Some Dual Motor models can be upgraded to Performance over the air. Performance Upgrade Package must come that way from the factory. Different suspension and brakes.

Imagine you'll love your new car. Silent, effortless and stunning acceleration. My wife loves her P3DLR. The right size, great pickup and fabulous handling. Meets, and beats, the bar set by her first car, a Fiat 124 Sport Coupe. DOHC, high-revving engine, balanced handling...

Last edited:
Activating the left signal almost always activates the long press (even on short holds) and often fails to turn off when completing a turn
I've heard there have been defective units. Regardless, it took me a while to master the 3's turn signal. It's a minor press and release to get a few flashes. Press harder and release to keep it flashing until you complete the turn or lane change. Cancel by minor press in opposite direction.

My brain is fried by different control layouts and conventions. I car-share my S 100D and Hyundai Sonata with our daughter's family - we each pay 50% of insurance and maintenance for the two cars. Also drive my wife's 3.

Drove almost 1,000 miles over a weekend in the 3 - PHL-BOS-PHL(sleep and charge)-NYC-PHL. Next weekend at home, then took the S, with 39.x update, to Boston and back. Got used to pushing down on the 3's gear selector to invoke EAP. Took me a while to remember the different motions for EAP in the S, where the "wizard stick" is on the left side of the wheel, and you pull it towards you to cast the spell.

Drove the S to work on Monday, parked it in daughter's family driveway on the way home, plugged in their HPWC. Took the Sonata to our house and drove it to the office Tuesday. The Sonata's windshield wiper controls are on the right side of the steering wheel, Tesla has the gear selector there. Need a few seconds to reorient every time I sit behind the wheel.

Definitely first world problems...and both the 3 and the S are fabulous cars.

Reactions: webdbbt
For California owners as a point of reference, mentioned the other day that I got my license plate and registration card from DMV in under 3 weeks from delivery. In today's mail received my Title in just over 3 weeks from delivery. Looks like whoever was processing registrations for Tesla in California was very prompt; and wow, seems like record time for Calif. DMV processing. Think our license plate sticker renewals and driver's license renewals take longer than that.

I ordered on June 27th. I can't even get them to talk to me, let alone schedule a delivery. WTF is going on with this company! I repeatedly reached out to them, radio silence to this day. Others here just ordered and are already getting delivery? :mad:
I agree that the lack of consistency or any semblance of order in communication or delivery scheduling is maddening. With weeks of radio silence from my IDA (getting one assigned took pushing), I visited my local store/service center last weekend, and now have the store manager escalating on my behalf. Nothing yet, but it's only been a few days. Speaking face to face about my order seemed somehow better than sending another mail/text/vm into the nether.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Edit Design disappeared today and I could put in my loan info. Waiting for whatever's next!

AWD, Black, Black Interior, Aeros, EAP
No reservation, No trade in, Ordered 2018-07-31
Rockville, MD

You still will want to reach out and follow up if you don't hear anything. I think I waited too long to do it. Their system didn't register any of the options even though I clicked all the buttons on my end. Their operation for the whole delivery, including finalizing the order really seems to massively suck.

Thanks Dan! Emailed my DA today to check status of the car and she verified it is almost to Birmingham, and should be on a truck to Alpharetta in a day or two. Still a go for Sunday delivery. Starting to feel like a kid right before Christmas, can’t wait for Sunday afternoon! :)
I'm excited for you! I get mine back from the detailer on Saturday. I'm in withdrawals having to drive an old pickup for a week. LOL!

What time is your delivery Sunday?

Dan

My pickup is tomorrow, I have yet to hear from my delivery adviser who hasn’t contacted me since last week. I just want to make sure the car is actually there, should I call her or call the Tesla location where the pickup is at?
Call everyone, don't be shy. Call you DA, delivery hotline and your delivery center. Call until you reach your desired level of comfort.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
2) yep, to use the app it has to be able to connect to the car. There may an always on setting, think I'm remembering from our Model S, but pretty sure we keep it off to conserve battery. The card key being bluetooth will only work close up to the car. So you either get in the habit of pulling your phone out just prior or as you are about to walk out to the car (like when it's raining!) or you can pick up a key fob when they become available. Plan to get on the list for that myself. I do like our Model S's self-presenting door handles (senses the key fob) when it's raining or when you have things in your hands, but not one of the features of the Model 3.

The Phone to Car is Bluetooth (for access), wifi or LTE for monitoring/control/etc, the key card is NFC and not bluetooth.

Ordered Sunday 10/14 white AWD. Got a call today, delivery this Sunday 10/21.

Went to dealer Saturday and they did have in inventory in California AWD, 18in in multiple colors but white.

Man, I'm so envious of the people who live in California being able to get cars so quickly. Hopefully this means they are going to be doing a run of white. Hopefully I can get a car out of that batch!

Reactions: fallen888
After 2 weeks of procrastinating about calling to find out my status, I sat down tonight to call the delivery line. Then, I saw that I had an email.

Delivery set for 11/12 in Springfield, NJ. IDA had a questions about financing, insurance and trade. We'll see how it goes.

Reserved in 2017. Configured: 8/31/2018 Non-owner Blue/Black AWD Aero No EAP, but trying to add it before delivery.
I didn't order EAP but think I will try to add at my delivery scheduled for 11/5 in Cherry Hill. I'll let you know how it goes.

Update:

So I’ve been enjoying my 3. It’s an amazing machine that has its quirks for sure. Acceleration and handling are second to none. The experience is truly other-worldly. This car is in a class of its own.

Of course, I have to share some nitpicks too.

1. My turn signal is unreliable. It works, but doesn’t function as it should. Activating the left signal almost always activates the long press (even on short holds) and often fails to turn off when completing a turn.
  2. The phone as a key requires me to wake the car up from the phone before using it, at least for me. If I’m at work for 8 hours or about to head to work after a night of charging, it asks me to use the keycard. If I wake the vehicle up from the app prior, it works fine.
  3. Sadly, I noticed a gash in the lower panel on the passenger side. It’s been 3 days since delivery so I’ll be pissed if they give me trouble because I haven’t hit a thing. I didn’t get on my hands and knees to inspect the car at delivery and must of missed it. Pic is below.
8URRSPN.jpg

Overall though, these are minor inconveniences that I’m more than willing to overlook because the product is so compelling as a whole. I know Tesla will make it right so for now, even with these gripes, I believe the car is absolutely worth the wait.
Android or iPhone? Phone as a key seems to work much better for iPhones. I'm on a Motorola G5 Android phone and the phone as a key is pretty much useless. I just have the key card in my wallet and put it up to the B pillar and cup holders and that has been working for me. If it is raining I unlock the car through the app before I leave the building so I can just run to the car and open it.

Android or iPhone? Phone as a key seems to work much better for iPhones. I'm on a Motorola G5 Android phone and the phone as a key is pretty much useless. I just have the key card in my wallet and put it up to the B pillar and cup holders and that has been working for me. If it is raining I unlock the car through the app before I leave the building so I can just run to the car and open it.
iPhone Xs MAX with iOS 12.01 and v9 on the car.

iPhone Xs MAX with iOS 12.01 and v9 on the car.
I have an X and haven't had issues with connecting to the car to open or unlock it. Only when trying to summon. Make sure you have the location services "always on" and bluetooth enabled. If your battery is low, it might be putting the phone into a conservation mode that shuts down bluetooth, so check your settings to make sure that isn't happening without a notification.