Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD Owners - do your feet tingle when preconditioning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a recent trip my feet were falling asleep - I attributed it to sitting in the same position for too long. Then my son (who was sitting in the front passenger seat) said his feet felt weird. Coincidentally the car had just started preconditioning for supercharging. I wouldn't have thought anything of it if my teenage son hadn't also commented. Anyone else's feet tingle when that front motor is being used as a heater?

Negative. Have not experienced.

Is this with an AWD or RWD model? Edit: derp, AWD, you said front motor. My bad.

I normally drive in low noise/traffic and this is probably something I would have noticed if it were happening to our car.

Or perhaps the whine from preconditioning is just too distracting. I'll make a note to check next time.

On a recent trip my feet were falling asleep - I attributed it to sitting in the same position for too long. Then my son (who was sitting in the front passenger seat) said his feet felt weird. Coincidentally the car had just started preconditioning for supercharging. I wouldn't have thought anything of it if my teenage son hadn't also commented. Anyone else's feet tingle when that front motor is being used as a heater?

It’s the excessive amount of floor heat that it starts doing after a while. I was commenting on this tonight on the way to dinner.

It’s the excessive amount of floor heat that it starts doing after a while. I was commenting on this tonight on the way to dinner.

Ohhh. I wonder if this has anything to do with the battery pack it's heating to over 50C right below your feet. That said, it doesn't fully explain it since their son noticed it just after preconditioning started, not dozens of minutes later.

Ohhh. I wonder if this has anything to do with the battery pack it's heating to over 50C right below your feet. That said, it doesn't fully explain it since their son noticed it just after preconditioning started, not dozens of minutes later.

Definitely just HVAC, in my case. I can consistently reproduce the sensation and it’s unrelated to battery conditioning. Perhaps it’s just a coincidence that their car was preparing for supercharging.

Regenerative braking eventually tires out your foot. If you're driving down a road (not on autopilot) for a while with now stop signs or stop lights, you NEVER get to take your foot off the accelerator. If you do, even for a split second, it's like slamming on the brakes. In contrast, an (automatic) ICE vehicle will coast along just fine if you take your foot off the accelerator for a second just to adjust position, stretch, etc.