Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back to square one!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you are admitting that you accepted the upgrade. Why is it now Tesla's problem to undo that? And what if you accidentally accept it in the future? Do they have to downgrade you again?
Because Tesla didn't clearly disclose the fact that V9 was a downgrade and remove critical features.

And yes, if I want a downgrade they should allow me to bring it in for the 20 minutes it takes to get the downgrade.

If Microsoft and Tesla think that they have a good legal case, both would not back down and comply the request of a few.

Most likely, they both are in a shaky legal ground so that's why they comply to users' requests.

I think Tesla would be on fairly stable legal grounds if they produce a log that says you accepted the upgrade on x at y o'clock. So that is the version you have now.

Reactions: P85_DA
Tesla automatically connects to service center wifi, one of the superchargers is at a service center and it connects automatically even when I tell it to forget the network. I also work across from another service center and if I park on one side of the lot it connect to their wifi, again, even if I tell it to forget the network.

I am another person who hates all these upgrades and I just want them to stop. It's funny how the Ford trucks with adaptive cruise and all there other snazzy features don't need constant updates. When you go in for service they don't update your car/truck unless you ask them to. And it's strange how all these millions of vehicles make it around without the constant need to update. I don't even understand why Tesla needs to know all of this, the cars can run fine without internet connections so why do they care what version someone is running.

I'm stuck with a late version of V8 with all the AP nags and I'll be stuck with it, but I won't be upgrading I've had nothing but issues all year with the car and MCU that tesla keeps saying is because of software bugs and it needs to update, funny,I didn't have any issues until they started updating the car when it came in for service. Just leave the cars alone and let people enjoy the vehicle they bought.

Tesla automatically connects to service center wifi, one of the superchargers is at a service center and it connects automatically even when I tell it to forget the network. I also work across from another service center and if I park on one side of the lot it connect to their wifi, again, even if I tell it to forget the network.

I am another person who hates all these upgrades and I just want them to stop. It's funny how the Ford trucks with adaptive cruise and all there other snazzy features don't need constant updates. When you go in for service they don't update your car/truck unless you ask them to. And it's strange how all these millions of vehicles make it around without the constant need to update. I don't even understand why Tesla needs to know all of this, the cars can run fine without internet connections so why do they care what version someone is running.

I'm stuck with a late version of V8 with all the AP nags and I'll be stuck with it, but I won't be upgrading I've had nothing but issues all year with the car and MCU that tesla keeps saying is because of software bugs and it needs to update, funny,I didn't have any issues until they started updating the car when it came in for service. Just leave the cars alone and let people enjoy the vehicle they bought.
Demand a downgrade to v7.1! Apparently it's a thing.;)

...on fairly stable legal grounds...

If they are they would produce something like this:

0a1fb398424b479a9a21e08c3a7895e1_6abd474260df410db0e90d94bbdd889b_header.jpeg

Tesla would dare users to sue it!

When I bring my Model 3 for an annual maintenance, I expect better things will happen but not gluing my coat hook shut tight so that it can function as if it's a S or X with no coat hook.

A consent for better thing is not a consent for worse thing. V8 can mix and match any 2 apps, accepting V9 should get the same or 3 or 4 apps at the same time and not less choice.

Anyone know how to unplug the wifi? I literally want no reason to update, the car has worked decently well for a few months and I don't want a reason to spend another 9 months in and out of the service center because "the latest software will fix that"

@jeffro01 i don’t know you. But I like you.

I hope you have come to realize that arguing with a brick wall will be easier than trying with some of these folks.

As mass production increases, so will these folks that really will never get that they are buying the future. They will never understand the soul that is Tesla.

If they want to buy the latest iPhone but want it to work like the palm pilot, than to each it’s own.

While the rest of us get where Tesla is going, people like the OP will sell their car and move on eventually.

• Love
Reactions: jeffro01 and P85_DA
Said no company ever.

The car can't do squat without approval. I'd be happy to press no every time I get in the car. Did it for months after I reinstated windows 8.1. I will also take my car in for service and warn them that they cannot upgrade the software, as is my right as a consumer.

Says MANY people who work for Tesla. Talk to the managers at the service centers, at the dealerships. Talk to the customer support people. They are all complaining about it when you actually bring it up. It is the biggest complaint they are dealing with right now and they will all tell you if you bring it up.

The mounting legal issue is that Tesla cannot retroactively change the terms of their warranty. They sold a product with a specific written warranty at the time of sale. They can't, legally, later decide to not honor that warranty because they want to force a software update.

Correct.

They added this to their warranty terms in January 2018,
Fascinating. What a bunch of corrupt jackasses.

I'm heavily invested in TSLA right now due to the lack of competition, which will continue for years. When competition exists, Tesla is going to get *slaughtered* for their customer-hostile behavior.

but anyone who purchased prior to that is not bound by those terms, but currently many people are caught in that trap where Tesla is trying to force the update and refusing warranty service if you do not update or worse, sneaking the update in without user consent.

In reality, Tesla has a VERY SMALL customer base right now. They have sold a total of about 400-500K cars since they started. MANY of those are to the same people, so their actually customer base is likely in 300-400K range. Every customer is a precious snowflake for them, because they need every single one they can get.

So, after nearly a month of going back and forth with executive support, we got them to agree to remove V9 from our car and revert back to the previous version.

They started with the usual "this is impossible" nonsense. We pointed out that if they looked at the service history on our car, they would see that a previous update had to be removed and rolled back to an earlier build.

They tried to tell us all our problems were solved with the release of 42.2, which they weren't. We even showed them them the statement directly from the manager at our local dealership and service center confirming they COULD undo the update, but only for "technical/safety issue" OR with "specific direction".

I received an e-mail saying they would coordinate a time with our local service center to get this done and we would hear from them soon.

2 weeks of silence.

Follow up and ask when this appointment can be set... and a new person responds to the thread with a cut and paste repeating the initial lie that it is impossible to put back the previous software version.

So... now I get to start all over again.
What a waste of time.

I miss the early days when Elon would personally ban PITA individuals from buying another Tesla.

LOL... Yeah, keep telling yourself that... Again, it's not unheard of at all for a company to "fire" a customer. Not even close to unheard of actually...
We have a form letter with a checkbox on why they are fired as a customer.

Use of inappropriate language towards an employee is a popular one. (Not implying that’s the case here, but just an example).

Anyone know how to unplug the wifi? I literally want no reason to update, the car has worked decently well for a few months and I don't want a reason to spend another 9 months in and out of the service center because "the latest software will fix that"

Are you going to unplug LTE too? That is the only way to ensure you don't get updates. Of course then you lose mobile access, streaming audio, maps, probably portions of EAP, or NoA, traffic updates, and many other things that make a Tesla a Tesla.

No more need to even have the browser never the less the ability to have it over/under another app.

Correct.

Fascinating. What a bunch of corrupt jackasses.

I'm heavily invested in TSLA right now due to the lack of competition, which will continue for years. When competition exists, Tesla is going to get *slaughtered* for their customer-hostile behavior.

I'm invested as well. I anted to dump when they pulled this stuff, but realized there is a bigger play here. I plan on holding until they exhaust the pre-orders for the model 3s, because that is when the bloom comes off the rose. Right now they are hiding behind great "sales" numbers on the model 3, but it is really just filling 2 years of back orders. At their current production pace, I am thinking end of first quarter 2019 will be a good time to take the profit and run.

I'm not convinced they can hold up once they are forced into head to head competition with the 3 as their core car. I know too many people (including myself) who opted not to get one after test driving it.

Reactions: kavyboy
Are you going to unplug LTE too? That is the only way to ensure you don't get updates. Of course then you lose mobile access, streaming audio, maps, probably portions of EAP, or NoA, traffic updates, and many other things that make a Tesla a Tesla.

No more need to even have the browser never the less the ability to have it over/under another app.

Let's ignore the fact that updates have to be accepted and just look at that list of "features".

You did not mention ONE thing that I find useful in the car, so, yeah, I have no use for LTE. Who on earth would use their streaming audio, maps or traffic updates? There are FAR superior products available for these things. EAP has proven to be a novelty at best. It was fun for the first month we had the car. The only time I had even engaged it since then was to show someone the cowbell Easter Egg. I wouldn't trust this thing to NoA.

Is this really why people buy a Tesla? So they can use the substandard Tesla Nav? Or the absolute disaster that is slacker radio?

Here, I was thinking people bought it because it was an electric car with decent range and a super charging network. Technologically speaking, Tesla is pretty far behind the competition, but we were willing to give them up for the advantages of a luxury electric car.

Tesla is not behind anyone at this time, you should have bought a ford, then 5-7 years later, it's the same car as you bought, I like that Tesla works to make my car better, looking at new ways to do things, I love being part of this, makes be fill like I'm part of something. I like to try do things, I look forward to the updates, I have never had a problem with any updates, I think OP would be happy with a Ford, he should sales his Tesla, and live in the past. This guy is just a kill Joy, no matter how good or new something is, he has to try to find away to kill it, if you gave this guy 100 bills, he would bitch that they were wrinkle. Let this guy go, kill this post, and let this guy live in the past.

The large firmware files won't download over LTE and the browser hasn't worked for months, its a combination of I need to update software or don't worry this is effecting every single Tesla off/on. Only thing I really used browser for was to run ABRP.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
@jeffro01 i don’t know you. But I like you.

I hope you have come to realize that arguing with a brick wall will be easier than trying with some of these folks.

As mass production increases, so will these folks that really will never get that they are buying the future. They will never understand the soul that is Tesla.

If they want to buy the latest iPhone but want it to work like the palm pilot, than to each it’s own.

While the rest of us get where Tesla is going, people like the OP will sell their car and move on eventually.

Constant updates that people don't want aren't the future, there will be millions of electric cars on the road that will never have data updates and no one will care because their car will work like intended. I purposefully don't update phones because the one I bought still works, I don't need or want bezel-less screens or facial recognition or a missing headphone jack. My phone works and there is nothing wrong with it. The same applies to my car; it worked, there was nothing wrong with it, and it functions as I wanted it to. Nothing Tesla has done has improved the user experience for me. Tesla fan bois are just as bad as apple ones you'll believe anything Tesla puts out is the gospel and they can do no wrong. Some of ya'll fail to remember that telsa is a tiny sliver of the car market and most Tesla owners fall into a narrow range of buyer mentality, this same mentality and company processes do not and will not extend to the mass market