Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backing out of tesla trade in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. I have already accepted Tesla's trade in offer a few days ago but got a better offer from Shift.com today (about $3,000 more pending physical evaluation of the car). Is it still possible to cancel Tesla's trade in? My SA is not responding to my inquiries.

Thank you!

Hi. I have already accepted Tesla's trade in offer a few days ago but got a better offer from Shift.com today (about $3,000 more pending physical evaluation of the car). Is it still possible to cancel Tesla's trade in? My SA is not responding to my inquiries.

Thank you!

I just went in and clicked "I don't want to trade it" right under where it said my trade in was pending and it immediately took it off. I did it less than 24 hours before my delivery appointment and it worked, so I think you should be okay.

I did the same. I originally accepted a trade in offer from Telsa, but was able to get a better offer from Carvana. It was very easy, as I just had to call my DC and let them know. When I showed up to take delivery, there was no mention of the trade-in on any of the paperwork

Does anyone have any recent experience with this?

I dont even understand the question in the thread.... no one can "force" you to sell them a car, so obviously one can back out at any point before the car is delivered and the trade dropped off.

Now, if financing and such, one would have to qualify for the higher loan amount, loan terms could possibly change, etc... but no one can be forced to trade in a vehicle (or take a loan even if they are approved for it, etc).

Ok so dumb question. My husband wants to sell our trade in (for $500 more, worth it). But I can't find anywhere to remove it from my account. How do you do it? Do I have to call them? That's super annoying... There's no button to click and no chat option.

Ok so dumb question. My husband wants to sell our trade in (for $500 more, worth it). But I can't find anywhere to remove it from my account. How do you do it? Do I have to call them? That's super annoying... There's no button to click and no chat option.

Depends on the valuation of course but is that worth the loss of tax savings? I'd give them a call.

Depends on the valuation of course but is that worth the loss of tax savings? I'd give them a call.
Oreobbq, are you saying you are paying taxes when selling your car privately or to a dealer? Maybe that is a state issue, in NC only required if it is worth more than you paid for it. Or are you saying Tesla gives you some sort of tax break? I am assuming your state tax laws are different than NC, recommend anyone buying and selling look up your state tax code.

Looking forward to picking up my M3LR in 4-6 months. My EDD jumped 2 months right 2 days after I ordered.

Oreobbq, are you saying you are paying taxes when selling your car privately or to a dealer? Maybe that is a state issue, in NC only required if it is worth more than you paid for it. Or are you saying Tesla gives you some sort of tax break? I am assuming your state tax laws are different than NC, recommend anyone buying and selling look up your state tax code.

Looking forward to picking up my M3LR in 4-6 months. My EDD jumped 2 months right 2 days after I ordered.

Welcome to TMC! I was saying if you trade in a car you'd pay taxes on the sale price minus the trade in value. Also just a tip, there are sites where you can check for new Tesla inventory. If you find a match you'd have to purchase it separately and eat the cost of your original deposit.