Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backup camera in rain vs. Tesla Vision park assist?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It will be very interesting to see how Tesla Vision will cope with parking distance and warnings for backing up when there is rain on the lens, which it is quite often where I live... Add the difficulty of seeing out the back when its dark outside.... By all means, if Elon and his crew can manage to land a big rocket after takeoff I guess we would give them the benefit of the doubt to manage such a simple task also, but it has me wondering.....

F3B6D416-63AC-4A22-9DFC-8A5452AFA1D7.jpeg

I have to use my rearview mirror when my backup camera has raindrops on it. The distortion is too big to make out the distance to the car parked behind me, especially at night. I highly doubt it is a problem they can solve with the current hardware. May be add a mechanism to clear the lens?

…if Elon and his crew can manage to land a big rocket after takeoff I guess we would give them the benefit of the doubt to manage such a simple task also, but it has me wondering.....
My guess is that the adult software developers and their seasoned management work for SpaceX. Tesla on the other hand seems to use script kiddies the tallest of whom is automatically the manager, and they’re rewarded with new memojis for creating fun things with little regard for their applicability to driving a car. Again, only my guess. Could be even worse.

A computer does not see in the same way that a human does. This doesn't mean that it will definitely work, but I think it's more complex than 'I can't tell what's going on so a computer won't be able to either'.

I think it really could be excellent and leave the USS solutions in the dust, or it could be a terrible folly and lead to lawsuits where Tesla tries to persuade everyone that it works well when it really doesn't... no way to know until we see it in action.

A computer does not see in the same way that a human does. This doesn't mean that it will definitely work, but I think it's more complex than 'I can't tell what's going on so a computer won't be able to either'.

I think it really could be excellent and leave the USS solutions in the dust, or it could be a terrible folly and lead to lawsuits where Tesla tries to persuade everyone that it works well when it really doesn't... no way to know until we see it in action.
…or the findings of investigations and lawsuit results.

I agree, I think it will be a complete wipeout or leave USS in the dust. The proof will be in the (Christmas) pudding

I agree. It won't work, or it won't work nearly as well as USS. I am wanting a front license plate camera (which, thankfully, exist). Driving home tonight I get the warning of multiple cameras blocked or innoperable. Vision? Many times it has none. Nor can I even guess how FSD will ever work on vision alone. My car, when cameras are available, can see every single garbage can and traffic cone just fine. But it has completely missed intersections with half a dozen traffic lights fully visible to me. I don't have FSD, but the visualizations are ON, and it is scary what it can completely miss.

Tesla Vision Only is heavily dependent on the high quality resolution of the rendered image. This is dependent on hardware improvements which cars do not typical get new hardware, just software. Elon is h3ll bent on dying on this "Vision Only" sword, when all other military and non military applications incorporate radar based enhanced firmware in their object recognition AI. I realize many think Elon was/is a genius, but some are now re-evaluating his thinking on several fronts with his recent acquisitions and radical company decisions. Time will tell as it has with many other "geniuses" who did outstanding in one area and dismal in all others...

IMHO, when the image that Tesla AI is interpreting is significantly distorted by factor(s) of water, fog, low light, lens scratched, etc, the Tesla AI will have to interpret/predict, to the best extent, the poor quality image and make a runtime decision. I suspect, that a Tesla driver will get a warning message something like, "Distance to Objects are impaired. Please use your judgement for accurate distance to objects", which will result in a Tesla driver having to manually use their own vision to estimate the distance to objects. Much like we do in non vision, radar-less, vehicles.

We, FSD Drivers, already see these annoying messages when it is raining, dark, cameras blinded by other car headlights, bright sun, fog, etc...

Reactions: My2cents
It will be very interesting to see how Tesla Vision will cope with parking distance and warnings for backing up when there is rain on the lens, which it is quite often where I live... Add the difficulty of seeing out the back when its dark outside.... By all means, if Elon and his crew can manage to land a big rocket after takeoff I guess we would give them the benefit of the doubt to manage such a simple task also, but it has me wondering.....

View attachment 890374
My brief experience with “Vision Park” is it doesn’t work. I used it the first two mornings I had it while it was raining out. It said cameras obscured by rain and did not work at all. I ONLY have this option with park assist since my 4 month old Tesla never came with any parking assist. So far using when it’s not raining. It is not very accurate. We’ll have to see if it learns. My example of this is when I pull up to a curb it will say I’m 30 inches away when the tire is approximately 10” away.

By all means, if Elon and his crew can manage to land a big rocket after takeoff I guess we would give them the benefit of the doubt to manage such a simple task also, but it has me wondering.....
The big difference is that the big rockets do not complain about the water droplets on the cameras while people driving little cars do complain a lot.

The big difference is that the big rockets do not complain about the water droplets on the cameras while people driving little cars do complain a lot.
The vehicle park assist would not function with water on the cameras.
Obviously you didn’t read it throughly. If rain obscures the cameras and they Don’t work. That’s not an opinion it’s a fact.… they just don’t work.

Reactions: CheckChar362

What aoutusing Rain-X or similar product on the lense?

Last edited: