Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Barebone $35,000 Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree. My preference would be no third row and no falcons.

I suppose that my thought process here is model distinction. Obviously I have no inside information or I would be too busy of a person to be posting here, haha. I just expect that Tesla has to make some hard decisions to help distinguish the various models, and with the X is was easy... Extra seats, Falcon Wing doors, Towing capability. But the sedans have a very blurred lines. If you don't pick something to separate them, why would anyone choose the S? Just to pay more to have less garage space? See, there has to be a compelling reason to purchase each individual model. The S has to demand respect and desire for someone with a budget For it, or they will simply spend less on the best Model 3.

I suppose that my thought process here is model distinction. Obviously I have no inside information or I would be too busy of a person to be posting here, haha. I just expect that Tesla has to make some hard decisions to help distinguish the various models, and with the X is was easy... Extra seats, Falcon Wing doors, Towing capability. But the sedans have a very blurred lines. If you don't pick something to separate them, why would anyone choose the S? Just to pay more to have less garage space? See, there has to be a compelling reason to purchase each individual model. The S has to demand respect and desire for someone with a budget For it, or they will simply spend less on the best Model 3.
I really don't think they will do that though.
Model X is $5K more than Model S, but you choose one over the other based on your needs.
From most of the reviews it sounds like the X is much better than the S, but if you want a sedan the choice is clear.
People will choose the S because its bigger everywhere, much roomier etc
The BMW 3 series isn't less capable than the 5 Series, its just smaller. It doesn't have bits missing compared to its bigger brother.
In a lot of ways the BMW M3 is a better car than the M5 - why wouldn't that be the case with Model ☰

I really don't think they will do that though.
Model X is $5K more than Model S, but you choose one over the other based on your needs.
From most of the reviews it sounds like the X is much better than the S, but if you want a sedan the choice is clear.
People will choose the S because its bigger everywhere, much roomier etc
The BMW 3 series isn't less capable than the 5 Series, its just smaller. It doesn't have bits missing compared to its bigger brother.
In a lot of ways the BMW M3 is a better car than the M5 - why wouldn't that be the case with Model ☰
No, but the price difference also isn't that big. And in the 7-Series there are actually many luxury features you can't get in a 5-Series.

No, but the price difference also isn't that big. And in the 7-Series there are actually many luxury features you can't get in a 5-Series.

Currently, there aren't that ​many features in the Model S that make me think "luxury that I can't get in a Model 3". Most of the things that draw me to the car (electric motors, AP, supercharging) are things that I would think are staples of owning a Tesla and not just luxury features of the Model S/X. Other features (AWD, leather, premium sound system, larger wheels, etc) are options that you would expect to have on most cars in that price range. And even if you didn't get the exact same option as the model S for things that fall in that category, you surely would be able to get the same type of option. The one thing that I could see them keeping exclusively for the S is the panoramic roof. That is certainly an option that stands out for which I would surely be disappointed if it wasn't an option on the Model 3. But it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

There's nothing wrong with Model 3 pricing getting close and overlapping lower end Model S prices. It's not a requisite that pricing has to be completely separate and not encroach on a higher end product line. It happens all the time with cars and electronics. It just boils down to features and what best fits your needs

The RAV4 comes with a third row option. I think the Tesla crossover might do falcons for that sort of car, but it is plain stupid for a econobox Model 3.
The Model ≡ will NOT be an econobox. It will not be front wheel drive. It will not compete directly with the LEAF or BOLT. Neither will it compete against the Corolla, Focus, Golf, Civic, Cruze, Sentra, Rio, or Elantra.

It is highly unlikely that Tesla Motors will even be able to build an econobox within the next ten years. The companies that build the world's most popular econoboxes all move nearly a million each of them worldwide, and have a capacity of around 10,000,000 cars overall. I think you are mistaking Generation III vehicles with a thus far unannounced Generation IV.

The Model ≡ will NOT be an econobox. It will not be front wheel drive. It will not compete directly with the LEAF or BOLT. Neither will it compete against the Corolla, Focus, Golf, Civic, Cruze, Sentra, Rio, or Elantra.

It is highly unlikely that Tesla Motors will even be able to build an econobox within the next ten years. The companies that build the world's most popular econoboxes all move nearly a million each of them worldwide, and have a capacity of around 10,000,000 cars overall. I think you are mistaking Generation III vehicles with a thus far unannounced Generation IV.
my thoughts exactly
The chances of the Model 3 being a cut price econobox with FWD is about as high as it having Mr Fusion instead of a battery.

my thoughts exactly
The chances of the Model 3 being a cut price econobox with FWD is about as high as it having Mr Fusion instead of a battery.

and to further the point, who says Tesla even makes an econobox down the road?

Why water down their brand? Why not just become a battery partner for someone who wants to slog through high volume econobox production?

best of both worlds really. They can focus on making the cars they want to, and still help advance their goal of clean EV driving for the masses.

Regarding competing with the BMW 3-series, I believe the quote was only in the context of "performance". And in my opinion, primarily acceleration.

Therefore, I expect a 0-60 time of 6-7 seconds on the base model. I expect powertrain upgrades to improve acceleration to be comparable to the M3 - or better.

Furthermore, I expect the overall spec level of the base car to be comparable to an Accord/Camry/Fusion/Bolt (e.g. a 25k ICE vehicle). And I expect trim levels or option packages to increase the spec level to Model S levels.

Regarding competing with the BMW 3-series, I believe the quote was only in the context of "performance". And in my opinion, primarily acceleration.

Therefore, I expect a 0-60 time of 6-7 seconds on the base model. I expect powertrain upgrades to improve acceleration to be comparable to the M3 - or better.

Furthermore, I expect the overall spec level of the base car to be comparable to an Accord/Camry/Fusion/Bolt (e.g. a 25k ICE vehicle). And I expect trim levels or option packages to increase the spec level to Model S levels.

Stop getting hung up on the post-tax credit price. 35K. 35K. say it with me now. 35. not 25. 35. Smile.....

Sorry for not being clear.

I expect the base 35k (pre-incentives) Model 3 to have an overall spec level comparable to a 25K Camry, Fusion, or Accord. In other words, not econobox, but also not entry level luxury.

Until we're told more, we'll all just have to wait and see who is right.

I think a $35,000 Model 3 will be similarly equipped to a base model CLA or A3.