Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Barebone $35,000 Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the Model Y crossover has falcons, it will be to accommodate a third row of seating. The CuteUte compact SUV segment includes the RAV4, CRV, etc. all offer a third row of seating. Only the sub-compact SUVs lack a third row option such as the Jeep Renegade.

I personally hate the idea of falcon doors so hope you are right that the Model Y only has two rows and standard doors.
err - which CRV are you looking at that offers third row?
My wife has a current model CRV Touring and there is no third row or space to fit one.
Actually, couldn't find a current Rav4 that offers a third row either?
Maybe you're thinking of the Pilot or similar which would be more Model X sized?

err - which CRV are you looking at that offers third row?
My wife has a current model CRV Touring and there is no third row or space to fit one.
Actually, couldn't find a current Rav4 that offers a third row either?
Maybe you're thinking of the Pilot or similar which would be more Model X sized?

2012 RAV4 had three rows. 2017 CRV has three rows.

One isn't available any longer being a 2012 and the other is only rumored.
Unless you've seen something concrete about the 2017 CRV- my wife would be pissed about missing that though :)

Missing the point. I am just saying falcons make sense for three rows. Indeed, three rows are possible in the compact SUV segment. There are Chevy, Ford and Jeep examples too.

You say three rows are not possible which is not true, but if it is, don't expect falcons on the Model Y.

I have a bad feeling that Tesla will, to focus on manufacturing efficiencies, adopt the Japanese automaker model whereby:

1. They have 3-5 distinct trim levels (i.e. think Honda's LX, EX, Ex-L, etc.)...with no options other than color of interior/exterior at a given trim level.
2. Certain features are only available by going up to the next 1 or even 2 trim levels. This could include supercharging.
3. The larger battery options (if they even exist), will be tied exclusively to the higher profit trim levels.

While folks may not like it, the best selling cars in America (Camry and Accord) have been doing it for years...

Third rows on anything smaller than a Pilot or Explorer are essentially useless for anyone other than preteens, IMHO. If you are routinely using the third row, you should look at midsize or larger, or bite the bullet and get a minivan. I'm sorry, not a popular opinion, but based in truth.

Because they will likely need all the help they can get to hot their price/volume targets profitably. Honestly though, I don't think this will matter to anyone beyond the tiny percentage of folks on car forums!
It will matter for anyone once they open the configurator.

If I want Autopilot do I have to get one of the higher trims? Do I have to get a battery upgrade to even get certain options?

The advantage of individual options is that people can choose what matters to them. Someone living in a cold area will value a cold weather package and seated heats a lot more. Someone in California might want a panoramic roof.

I agree that it makes a lot of sense from cost saving and easy to manufacture standpoint, but when you have a lot of expensive options as well as expensive battery and AWD versions you would alienate a lot of buyer when option xyz is not available at a certain price point. I could have seen other companies do that with Autopilot, but I highly doubt Tesla will do that.

Btw. BMW NA also does not have several options on the lowest engine availsble, but the upgrade to the next isn't as higher as I expect Tesla's battery upgrades to be. BMW Germany is also completely different... insane amount of options.

Is that really any different than all the bundling they do now? Want fog lights, pay for premium interior. Want satellite radio stations, pay for premium speakers (and sun roof,) or need a standalone device for the new car you just bought.

It is broader than what they do now. As an example, my parents bought a new Honda Accord about 18 months ago. The base car is the LX. The next trim level is the SE, and then the EX, EX-L, and EX-L Navi. As you can kind of tell from the names, you have to step up all the way to the EX-L to get leather, and another level to get navigation. You can't just add those options to an LX, Se, or EX.

Hmm, I usually like the idea of just a few trim lines vs tons of individual options. Makes me feel less like I am being nickeled and dimed when I am configuring. I just pick the trim level I am comfortable with, then pick the fun stuff like the colors.

Hmm, I usually like the idea of just a few trim lines vs tons of individual options. Makes me feel less like I am being nickeled and dimed when I am configuring. I just pick the trim level I am comfortable with, then pick the fun stuff like the colors.
Yeah, except you know that one feature you really want is only available in the top level trim and you don't need half the other things that come with it.

To achieve similar driving range and performance as the Model S/X has, I do believe that the Model ≡ will require less battery capacity. Just as Premium Sedans with ICEs have gas tanks 33% larger than "Standard/Sport Sedans." (Based on that math, we can expect to see a Model ≡ 52.5 and a Model ≡ 67.5.) Consider the lower weight of a smaller car, the suggested reduction of the drag-coefficient, and a smaller surface area to start with... we can expect a slight reduction of those numbers yet.

FWD or RWD, I don't know... but you can bet that the base model will be a Single Motor design, with an AWD upgrade option.

Overall range and performance probably will be very similar to the Model S, with the S having just the slightest advantages. Tesla doesn't want this car to pose the question, "Why not get a Model ≡?" They want this car to pose the question, "Why would I get anything but a Model ≡?"

Extrapolated configurations should be...
-Model ≡ 50 (230 mile range) (5.8 seconds 0-60 mph) $35,000
-Model ≡ 50D (240 mile range) (5.5 seconds 0-60 mph) $40,000
-Model ≡ 65D (288 mile range) (4.5 seconds 0-60 mph) $53,000
-Model ≡ P65D (270 mile range) (3.4 [3.1 "Ludicrous-Equivelant" Mode] seconds 0-60 mph) $73,000

Upgrade Options:
-Paint upgrades start at: $750
-Extended Glass Roof Options: $1,000
-Wheel and Tire Packages will start at: $1,000
-Leather Interior Package: $1,500
-Autopilot: $2,500
-Premium Interior & Lighting: $2,500
-Smart Air Suspension (with basic presets): $1,500
-Improved Sound System: $1,500
-Sub-zero Weather Package $1,500
-Dual Chargers: $2,000

Standard Features:
-5-Star NHTSA in all categories
-Supercharger Access Standard
-13" Touchscreen Center Console (15" touchscreen for $750)
-Digital Driver Information Center scaled down just a bit
-Compatibility with all common roof-rack systems
-Front Trunk
-Rear Trunk
-Parking sensors and blind spot warning
-Up to four LATCH child seat attachments
-8 year, infinite mile battery and drive unit warranty-4 year, 50,000 mile limited warranty

Don't Expect:
-Falcon Wing Doors
-Summon
-Big Sky Panoramic Windshield
-Bio-Weapon Defense Mode
-Seating for more than 5
-14-way power adjustable, heated front seats with memory

I cloud go on all day, but lets save your sanity, haha. (Sorry, I'm just really excited... probably too excited considering this is still 15-21 months away.)

Yeah, except you know that one feature you really want is only available in the top level trim and you don't need half the other things that come with it.

Eh, I've never actually been able to pick and choose my options, not really. You always find out that they only make option package X with option package Y, or my favorite from Lexus "We don't sell cars in color Z in your region". I have never actually been able to order a car completely from scratch exactly as I want it, so I guess that is what is currently unique about Tesla. Will be interesting to see if they keep it that way.

To achieve similar driving range and performance as the Model S/X has, I do believe that the Model ≡ will require less battery capacity. Just as Premium Sedans with ICEs have gas tanks 33% larger than "Standard/Sport Sedans." (Based on that math, we can expect to see a Model ≡ 52.5 and a Model ≡ 67.5.) Consider the lower weight of a smaller car, the suggested reduction of the drag-coefficient, and a smaller surface area to start with... we can expect a slight reduction of those numbers yet.

FWD or RWD, I don't know... but you can bet that the base model will be a Single Motor design, with an AWD upgrade option.

Overall range and performance probably will be very similar to the Model S, with the S having just the slightest advantages. Tesla doesn't want this car to pose the question, "Why not get a Model ≡?" They want this car to pose the question, "Why would I get anything but a Model ≡?"

Extrapolated configurations should be...
-Model ≡ 50 (230 mile range) (5.8 seconds 0-60 mph) $35,000
-Model ≡ 50D (240 mile range) (5.5 seconds 0-60 mph) $40,000
-Model ≡ 65D (288 mile range) (4.5 seconds 0-60 mph) $53,000
-Model ≡ P65D (270 mile range) (3.4 [3.1 "Ludicrous-Equivelant" Mode] seconds 0-60 mph) $73,000

Upgrade Options:
-Paint upgrades start at: $750
-Extended Glass Roof Options: $1,000
-Wheel and Tire Packages will start at: $1,000
-Leather Interior Package: $1,500
-Autopilot: $2,500
-Premium Interior & Lighting: $2,500
-Smart Air Suspension (with basic presets): $1,500
-Improved Sound System: $1,500
-Sub-zero Weather Package $1,500
-Dual Chargers: $2,000

Standard Features:
-5-Star NHTSA in all categories
-Supercharger Access Standard
-13" Touchscreen Center Console (15" touchscreen for $750)
-Digital Driver Information Center scaled down just a bit
-Compatibility with all common roof-rack systems
-Front Trunk
-Rear Trunk
-Parking sensors and blind spot warning
-Up to four LATCH child seat attachments
-8 year, infinite mile battery and drive unit warranty-4 year, 50,000 mile limited warranty

Don't Expect:
-Falcon Wing Doors
-Summon
-Big Sky Panoramic Windshield
-Bio-Weapon Defense Mode
-Seating for more than 5
-14-way power adjustable, heated front seats with memory

I cloud go on all day, but lets save your sanity, haha. (Sorry, I'm just really excited... probably too excited considering this is still 15-21 months away.)

Great list Brad, and I find myself doing the same thing I do when configuring a 3 series from BMW online (or similar). You go in with the base price in mind, quickly decide you want the "fast one" (or at least second to fastest) and of course leather, and adaptive cruise, and dang that upgraded suspension would be nice with those larger rims and tada...$60k, and I'm right back to considering getting a larger, roomier, CPO 5 series. Same thing will happen with ME here. Given the number of base 3 series I see running around though, I'm sure many Model IIIs sold will be base cars with leather and maybe autopilot (unless they do the Japanese "trim lines" bit).

Third rows on anything smaller than a Pilot or Explorer are essentially useless for anyone other than preteens, IMHO. If you are routinely using the third row, you should look at midsize or larger, or bite the bullet and get a minivan. I'm sorry, not a popular opinion, but based in truth.

I agree. My preference would be no third row and no falcons.

Great list Brad, and I find myself doing the same thing I do when configuring a 3 series from BMW online (or similar). You go in with the base price in mind, quickly decide you want the "fast one" (or at least second to fastest) and of course leather, and adaptive cruise, and dang that upgraded suspension would be nice with those larger rims and tada...$60k, and I'm right back to considering getting a larger, roomier, CPO 5 series. Same thing will happen with ME here. Given the number of base 3 series I see running around though, I'm sure many Model IIIs sold will be base cars with leather and maybe autopilot (unless they do the Japanese "trim lines" bit).
that is an interesting point. Tesla are going to want us to actually buy the Model 3, not jump to a CPO Model S.
So I think they will not be deliberately hobbling Model 3 as some have suggested, but will concentrate on making it compelling in its own right.
Like Brad said, they want us to be asking "why would I get anything but a Model ☰"
The choice of getting Model S or Model ☰ should be down to size, not features.