Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

battery charging, is this possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible to plug your car into a standard 120v or 240v outlet, use the Tesla app on your phone to set when you want the car to charge at what capacity and have the ability in the app to change the capacity?

I assume all this is probably possible with a smart charger, but do you have this capability just simply within the app itself, and a standard outlet?

To further clarify an example: You come home you plug your car into a 120 or 220 outlet but you don't want to charge the car until 9:00 at night for example. Can you within the app set the car to only charge at 9:00 p.m. on at say 80% max capacity to charge?

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback, to clarify are you saying you can set the capacity level to whatever capacity you want at any time through the app, however you cannot set when it charges.

Is it safe to assume with a smart charger you have more control from a scheduling perspective but the capacity still has to be set on a separate app Tesla up in this case.

Following that up if you purchase a Tesla smart charger can you do everything through one app scheduling and setting capacity?

Thanks for the feedback, to clarify are you saying you can set the capacity level to whatever capacity you want at any time through the app, however you cannot set when it charges.
Correct. you can manually start or stop a charge from the app, but must set any schedule from within the car.

Is it safe to assume with a smart charger you have more control from a scheduling perspective but the capacity still has to be set on a separate app Tesla up in this case.

I suppose, yes.

Following that up if you purchase a Tesla smart charger can you do everything through one app scheduling and setting capacity?
The Tesla wall connector is not “smart”, the scheduled charging still needs to be set up inside the car.

I saw a review which said the new wall charger can be set within an app to schedule charges. Not sure if that is valid or not?

Let me ask this, and I think i know the answer already based on your feedback above.

Is it possible at this point to schedule from within one app and set capacity with a 3rd party or Tesla wall charger that is integrated to the Tesla app? I believe there is no way to use one app for both unless someone knows differently?

There is no “integration” to the Tesla app.

Setting a charging schedule is an extremely occasional sort of thing. In 4.5 years, I think I’ve fiddled with it maybe 5 times. It’s no big inconvenience to have to go to the car to do this.

Everything else can be controlled by the Tesla app.

I guess the question is why would Tesla not add scheduling to the app.
I assume for the same reason they make all of their choices about what to prioritize. Most everyone is well served by “start charging at night to be ready in the morning,” and there are more important things to work on, like video games and farts.

Not everyone lives a static lifestyle.
Put another way, some of us are dynamic enough to walk our asses to the car when spontaneity strikes. ;)