Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery defect for IT brainstorming BMS_u029 - P85 MS 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Carolina vs Texas BBQ?

🤣 Amazing. lol.

As is the case with this analogy, I think pretty much all BBQ is great. Unless of course you put mayo on BBQ. Then you should be arrested. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Straight to jail. 👮‍♂️ Unfortunately there's some shops out there putting mayo on BBQ. 🤢 Should probably avoid those and stick with Texas and Carolina. 🤠

🤣 Amazing. lol.

As is the case with this analogy, I think pretty much all BBQ is great. Unless of course you put mayo on BBQ. Then you should be arrested. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Straight to jail. 👮‍♂️ Unfortunately there's some shops out there putting mayo on BBQ. 🤢 Should probably avoid those and stick with Texas and Carolina. 🤠
I think it's a Bama (Alabama) thing, but I don't object to using mayo on the grill. The tartness cooks off and prevents sticking and burning which is great for fish and elote. As for me, I'm use lump charcoal and a chunk of wood for smoking in my kamado grill. I recently learned to not soak the wood beforehand and to let the initial smoke clear before smoking the food...it's less acrid and bitter. Also, can't go wrong with Korean BBQ, but sending my Tesla to Korea of battery service is completely out of the question.😁

• Funny
Reactions: greenbert and wk057
Hello @Recell , in the former pics of battery modules with #29 and #18 errors/warnings, the upper left module has 46 bad cells (if I counted correctly). You are saying that the lower one with 1 bad cell is already a danger. How come the BMS hasn't flagged this 46 bad cell module earlier? Have a hard time believing that 40+ cells went bad at the exact same time.
Comments?

Thanks

Certainly, the purpose of the two sample modules is simply to illustrate the end cases. the module on the top left with 15 defective cells in brick #6 is clearly an outlier - it is the “worst-of-the-worst” if you will, and there’s clearly some kind of manufacturing defect in the original batch or specific environmental condition that has caused this. we may go back and look deeper into the logs at some point to see if there is anything that stands out.

What we do know about this module however, is that these issues happened over time, not all at once. this module is from a pack that had been through repetitive failure cycles, prior to the BMS_u029 error being latched, and quite possibly prior to improved detection logic, in 2022.8.4 [note: we’ll double check that revision number before anyone cites it]

(It is important to note as well that not all the cells in the module suffer from the same failure mode. some have dropped completely to 0V, others have discharged but remain stable at 2V. Again, we simply included this module because it is the “worst-of-the-worst”)

We hope that helps round out the story.

Last edited:
Thanks @Recell for the reply. That brings some good light, especially the software better detection algorithm.
Reading through this forum I had the impression that battery packs (90KWh maybe?) up to and including 2015 builds are prone to the "8 years and 3 months" failure. Overall earlier batteries seem to be more error-prone, is it? From your experience, do you see some better reliability of packs post some build date/time? Thanks again

Thanks @Recell for the reply. That brings some good light, especially the software better detection algorithm.
Reading through this forum I had the impression that battery packs (90KWh maybe?) up to and including 2015 builds are prone to the "8 years and 3 months" failure. Overall earlier batteries seem to be more error-prone, is it? From your experience, do you see some better reliability of packs post some build date/time? Thanks again
Reliability history on 2015 and newer Model S HV batteries is currently masked by still being under warranty. Therefore, any issues are being covered under warranty without any owner cost.

However as each month goes by, we are starting to hear about 2015's being affected by either BMS_u029 or BMS_u018 alerts as owners are having to pay for out of warranty HV battery replacement.

To be clear, 029 and 018 are also happening before the 8 year warranty expires. It's just we don't hear about them as much because Tesla's paying for replacement HV batteries.

Last edited:
Problem is fully reverse engineered and debunked. It is safety mechanism because battery is in defect. Repair the battery and then reset BMS.
Full procedure here.
BMS reset algo here.

Problem is fully reverse engineered and debunked. It is safety mechanism because battery is in defect. Repair the battery and then reset BMS.
Full procedure here.
BMS reset algo here.
What's the point of posting ur restricted links here??

I'd be cautious using EV clinics services..
I told them already that F123/W123 (isolation errors) doesn't require reset as proven by me n few others on TMC but they still claiming it needs reset...
Which means they either don't know what they're doing or charging for unnecessary services...

How exactly is a reset "solution" still being pushed?

It's to the point where I think TMC might need to add some moderator notes promoting safety on posts that mention BMS_u029, or anything related to BMS resetting without proper repair.

A very interesting point is Tesla has it coded in their software to ignore u029 if they want by setting a flag on the MCU. See image. Read what you want from that.

View attachment 906556

We have studied the u029 error a lot. It seems on older cars there are many false positives out there due to imbalanced CAC on aging packs. We try to ask everyone for individual cell voltages prior to selling them a device. But otherwise the device pairs with the car and records pack condition. Only if the pack seems healthy do we send the command to turn off the error. And with the device paired to a car you won't get someone who buys one to clear a fleet of cars. We may unpair/reset a device for a fee but that hasn't been decided yet and will likely be on a case-by-case basis.

As for open-source. I am willing to talk about some of what we do to qualify the pack, but will not open source it outright nor disclose exactly how we turn off the error. I've got nearly a year in on this and need to be paid for my time.
Hi, where can i buy this device which erases the u029 error ? Is this performed via the diagnostic port or is needed fizical access to the bms board?