Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Degradation question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The degradation that is calendar aging dependant, will follow this with the square root of time. The main part of degradation will come from this for the first 5-8 year of the batterys life.
View attachment 927483

At the same temperature (thinking, we can not easy lower the temperature) having the battery below ”the step” will cut the calendar aging in half.
10 months at 80-90% causes about 5% degradation.
10 months at 30-55% causes 2.5%
(Below 30%, even less)

In the long run, after ten years 80-90% degrades 17%
30-55% degrades 8.5%.

To this comes the self regenerating effect at low SOC that heals a part of the degrsdstion from cycling. How much, I can not say but the researchers do find the effect, specialky after fast charging etc.
So there is a small (?) extra win by using low SOC, resulting in even smaller degradation in total.

The cyclic degradation is also lower at low SOC, so this also refuce by half or so.

I live in a cold climate which is good (for this purpose), and my cars degradation is about 1/3 of the average for the same car.
This will most probably continue like this, snd after 10 yesrs I have 1/3 of the range loss compared to the average.
View attachment 927485
Thanks for the helpful info. We tend to have cars a long time. We had a Honda CRV in our family for 16 years. So, I'd hope our M3LR will last this long.

Reactions: MikeHawk
Yep, I no longer charge up to 80/90% before a trip, from my normal daily 60%. I realized that I stopped at the same first stop, regardless, 90miles away. The only difference is I may charge an additional 5mins. Of course, you save a little money, in my case $3, since supercharging costs me double than home charging.

At least half of my 100% SOC charges has been for "my nerd science". :p
Would have been enough with 80-90% for these. But the other 50% was due to the need.

At least half of my 100% SOC charges has been for "my nerd science". :p
Would have been enough with 80-90% for these. But the other 50% was due to the need.
I did a 100% charge and also down to 5% SoC (0% usable SoC according to TeslaMate) for my nerd science as well 😂

1681318593610.png

Make that 86% of battery to go 201 miles, implying 100% = just 234 miles

WTH?
When you say projected, you mean on the energy screen? That doesn't help calculate battery capacity. It means you're driving is less efficient than EPA asumptions which includes at least half city driving which is more efficient, and the EPA highway driving is slower than most people as well.

What's your Wh/mi average? It must be high.

If I drive moderately, I can come close to EPA. I also have the 3LR which has more efficient tires & wheels (this matters a huge amount). I've done full 280+ mile round trips on mostly SoCal freeway speeds, 65-75, and arrived home at 15%, starting from 100%. I can get 235-240 Wh/mi if I'm gentle.

To get a better sense of battery range, hit the battery bar and switch between miles and percent on the top part of main display. Those are "EPA miles". Take the miles and divide by the percent (as a fraction less than one). That's a rough extrapolation of full-range energy the BMS thinks it has now. I have very little degradation over almost a year, thanks to charging up to 50% almost every day other than road trip days.

... my 2021 M3P w/ 31401 miles reports 147 rated miles (on the 19" 'Gemeni wheels' w/ caps, so a more efficient wheel setup) at 47%, or an implied 312-313 @100%. I don't know exactly what that implies for degradation so far, but it ain't much.

... my 2021 M3P w/ 31401 miles reports 147 rated miles (on the 19" 'Gemeni wheels' w/ caps, so a more efficient wheel setup) at 47%, or an implied 312-313 @100%. I don't know exactly what that implies for degradation so far, but it ain't much.
You maybe can select 20” überturbine to check with the ”standard” rsted comsumption?
I think its about 5% more range with 18”/19” but im not sure, my car has a bug with all wheels but 20” Überturbine.

I nu would guess a batt capacity about 76kWh, out of 82.

You maybe can select 20” überturbine to check with the ”standard” rsted comsumption?
I think its about 5% more range with 18”/19” but im not sure, my car has a bug with all wheels but 20” Überturbine.

I nu would guess a batt capacity about 76kWh, out of 82.
Per ABRP's querying of Tesla, 74.7 kWh. Over 2 years, 31k miles, and a bunch of fast charging.

Per ABRP's querying of Tesla, 74.7 kWh. Over 2 years, 31k miles, and a bunch of fast charging.
I have done a check of ABRP* vs correct values lately. Only one car, but in that case ABRP sucked. I wouldnt thrust it that much.
Could be right of course in this case.

I have about 78.5 kWh capacity left, 2021 M3P (dec ’20), 62 K km / 38.5 K mi. About 495 km on a full charge (w/20” Überturbine selected).
About 45 supercharging sessions and have charged to 100%

*) Model S P85DL. APRB app said 4.1% degradation and 74.3 kWh capacity. This after 170K km and several years. After questioning ABRP that owner did get Tessie, which said 6.7% degradation and 72.3 kWh capacity.
After requesting the full charge range, the owner charged full, which gave 362 km@100%. New range was 407km, and the charging constant 200Wh per km so 72.4 kWh capacity, including the buffer. The new capacity of that battery was 81.5kWh, total capacity (incl buffer).

"Real" values: 72.4kWh, 11% degradation
ABRP: 74.3 kWh, 4.1% degradation.
Tessie: 72.3 kWh, 6.7% degradation.

Tessie mixes up the full capacity with the net capacity, but at least they seem to calculate the actual capacity correct, but they need to learn that they do not get the net capacity, its the total the calculate. ABRP...

Its a quite big difference between 4.1 / 6.7 and 11. At least when I learned math.

For apps not coming close to what the app owners pay for: 🤬

Last edited:
ABRP seems to be getting it's data from the Tesla API, so ... I presume it's tesla's data that's wonky then. ABRP is claiming degradation of 0.4% or somesuch (less than 1%) which ... Huh? That would only be true if it's a 75 kWh usable battery? I guess 75 kWh is a round number, so plausible, but ... ...

One thing to keep in mind that once you have degradation, you tend to stress the battery more as with each trip, you have to use more of the remaining available capacity, which also results in a deeper discharge cycle as well as a tendency to charge more to compensate. It basically becomes a feedback loop that makes your situation worse.

You end up having to charge to a higher level initially which is bad. You end up with an overall deeper discharge cycle which is bad. Or you end up going to a very state of charge like close to 0%.

Even if you don't care about battery degradation, if we all can get batteries to last longer, it means less, waste and overall better for the environment and keeps costs down for everyone.

@AAKEE - I just started reading through this. It looks pretty interesting so far. I didn't know if you saw it. It is from the Royal Society of Chemistry (UK). Others might find it interesting even if you just read the first few pages.

ABRP seems to be getting it's data from the Tesla API, so ... I presume it's tesla's data that's wonky then. ABRP is claiming degradation of 0.4% or somesuch (less than 1%) which ... Huh? That would only be true if it's a 75 kWh usable battery? I guess 75 kWh is a round number, so plausible, but ... ...
In the model S case I checked, there was two issues:
-calculating the actual capacity wrong (too high).
-using the wrong initial capacity. In this case they used the new capacity value but without the buffer. ABRP probably think that the value they calculate for actual capacity is without the buffer/net capacity when it instead IS the total capacity. (This is the same mistake as Tessie does).

It wont be right until they understand what they are doing.

For the actual capacity size they probably do it as Tessie does, or about the same way (using the charged energy number from teslas API). “The problem” is that that value is 4.7% too high (1/0.955).
This comes from the way Tesla hides the buffer. If you charge from 0-100% Tesla will report the charged energy as the whole capacity including the buffer. (Even that the 4.5% buffer size was not “empty” and was not charged.

For the actual capacity size they probably do it as Tessie does, or about the same way (using the charged energy number from teslas API). “The problem” is that that value is 4.7% too high (1/0.955).
This comes from the way Tesla hides the buffer. If you charge from 0-100% Tesla will report the charged energy as the whole capacity including the buffer. (Even that the 4.5% buffer size was not “empty” and was not charged.

yeah teslafi has the same issue which is why calculated consumption and chargerange is never correct.

The most accurate way is to read out the kwh with SMT to be honest.