Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery degradation???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes and I have a 2018 LR dual motor and I am at 260 miles @90%

to be clear, we can’t be 100% sure that it is degradation. It could just be software calibration. Either way, many people are in the same boat as us.

Last edited:
Reactions: XLR82XS
Run the car down to 20% or less, charge back up to at least 90%, run it back down to 20% and then finally charge back up to 90% once again (two full cycles)....the second time @90% should provide a fairly accurate assessment of current battery degradation, if any. Good luck.

This ^^^.

You can also drain the battery down yo say 10-15% SoC, then let it L2 or supercharge back up to 90 or even 100%.

As it reaches 98, 99, 100 the BMS will re-learn your actual top/max capacity.
Drive off and again drain down to 20% or below and juice back up to 100%.

Once the car reports its done charging and fully topped off, switch the GUI from SoC to Miles and report back.

I am at >2 years with an AWD+ that is rarely ever plugged in and showing 305-310 miles at 100% SoC.

It could be, or it might not. The cars onboard system calculates the total range based on your driving behavior and maybe some other factors as well, battery degradation is probably included in that calculation but it's not the whole story.

Absolutely not. Please don’t spread myths. The cars have a power used per mile constant. This doesn’t change. It doesn’t matter how you drive it. The only factors that play in to it are which model you have and which wheels the car is programmed as having. The cars have an estimated power available in the battery. The range shown is this constant divided by the estimated power available in the battery.

Run the car down to 20% or less, charge back up to at least 90%, run it back down to 20% and then finally charge back up to 90% once again (two full cycles)....the second time @90% should provide a fairly accurate assessment of current battery degradation, if any. Good luck.

That's how I normally charge my car. Drive down to 15-20% then charge to 85-95% at supercharger. Expressed concern at Tesla service in app and they said their engineer ran a test remotely and it's fine.

Expressed concern at Tesla service in app and they said their engineer ran a test remotely and it's fine.

Because it is. You have about 6.5% degradation from new if the rated range is to be believed.

Only 23.5% more degradation to go before something is “not fine” and you have a warranty claim Tesla will do something about.

That's how I normally charge my car. Drive down to 15-20% then charge to 85-95% at supercharger. Expressed concern at Tesla service in app and they said their engineer ran a test remotely and it's fine.
I typically charge mine every night from a low of 70% up to 90% using L2. We have very different styles yet the result is similar

Last edited:
Answer: Yes.

More detailed answer:

To know if this is "normal", we need a lot more details. But I'll skip requesting all that and summarize as just this: Battery degradation at any point in life below 10% is "normal" for these cars. Some people are more lucky and get less, some are unlucky and get more. Some of this is how you treat the battery (Supercharging exclusively is doing you no benefit, for example), but some of it is also just by chance of which cells you got in a battery pack.

Some 2018 models did have a service bulletin for bad packs. I think if yours was one of these, it would be much worse though.

All the answers of it depending on temperature, estimation, etc. are mostly correct (minus it changing on driving behaviour - it does not change based on how you drive). That said, a 2018 battery will absolutely have noticeable amounts of degradation and this is a normal part of the lifecycle.

Absolutely not. Please don’t spread myths. The cars have a power used per mile constant. This doesn’t change. It doesn’t matter how you drive it. The only factors that play in to it are which model you have and which wheels the car is programmed as having. The cars have an estimated power available in the battery. The range shown is this constant divided by the estimated power available in the battery.

Note this should say constant divided in to, not divided by. It is the power divided by the constant, not vice versa. It won't let me edit the original post.

For what it's worth, my 2018 with only 7k miles on it has no degradation to speak of. I 100% charged it late last week and it estimates 325 miles remaining still. I leave it set at 90%, and plugged in all the time. It seems that these weird scenarios happen for folks who have weird charging habits and don't leave their car plugged in all the time when at home.

In winter months my 100% charge is 2-3 miles lower and my 90% charge is 1 or 2 miles lower. This vehicle is in an uninsulated garage.

This seems a common theme with people who report this type of battery estimate. You really should leave your vehicle plugged in all the time when at home. A plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla.

The only factors that play in to it are which model you have and which wheels the car is programmed as having.

How much of an impact would the wheel selection make? I actually have 20" selected because it looks cool in the app even though I have uncapped aeros. I felt like my battery doesn't seem to go as far in the past few months but I switched to 20's in the software since it came out last year.

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I wish there was better forum functionality to mitigate the ongoing proliferation of “battery degradation” threads.

I’d be willing to bet no one ever did this with their ICE vehicle.
LOL... of course not! The ICE MPG and range estimates are terrible, high variability, and everyone knows it so nobody freaks out about it.

to OP... please read up and research. Most 2018s ( including the 2 I have) will have 100% around 290 and 90% around 260. It is totally normal. Thousands of data points in tons of studies show that batteries lose ~5% in first year, and <1% per year thereafter.

you are NORMAL. Sorry to say, not special.

enjoy your normal car!!! Stop worrying!:)

Let's be fair, ICE fuel tanks don't noticeably decrease in capacity as part of their regular life cycle. Batteries do, and start doing so immediately.

And yeah, ICE gets worse mileage when they're old, but like really old. Not something you see just 2 years into ownership.

I'm not saying ICE is better, just that they're different and there is no precedent do this with an ICE vehicle because they behave entirely different over their lifetime (plus fueling infrastructure is very different currently).

Are you kidding? Lots of people do this. Look on the app store for your phone - there are dozens of apps that track mileage per gallon used. I've tracked the mileage of the last 4 cars on a phone or palm pilot app, and now do so with my tesla also. Most of these cars held their average mileage fairly steadily throughout my ownership, except for the FJ Cruiser - that thing was a major gas hog, small changes in how you drove could make big differences in total mileage per gallon.

You really should leave your vehicle plugged in all the time when at home. A plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla.
agree, except for the one time I went out to unplug the car to take a trip and it would not unplug. Had to call mobile tech and even he had to call yet another mobile tech :eek:
After that lesson, I check to make sure it will unplug LONG before I want to go anywhere. Yet to realize, that one problem was probably very unusual.

Status
Not open for further replies.