Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Depreciation at 7000 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All. I have a 2022 Model Y Performance with 7000 miles. When typically charging to 85% I would be able to get 285 miles out of that charge but over the last 2-3 weeks I've only been about to get in the 2035 range. I do live in Texas and it has been extremely hot but I did have a 2019 Model 3 Performance and did NOT see any dip in battery performance in extreme heat conditions. Is this a typical thing or is there an issue occurring? Thanks!

If you’re talking about the range number on the top of the screen, that number does not change based on temperature or anything else. It’s purely ideal EPA rated range under optimal conditionals.
...except that it definitely does shift based on temperature. It is trying to estimate the amount of energy that you can really get from the battery, and that does reduce some when it is cold. That's why people see this frequently, where the car seems to stop charging at a certain expected limit, but then drift down a percent or two when it cools down. But then you are correct about the second part that it is taking that estimated energy and dividing it by a consistent fixed EPA efficiency constant to convert the units into "rated miles".

So it's not Guess-O-Meter style, where the car keeps moving the efficiency constant around. It's just the car's analysis of how much energy it thinks it has that moves a little with temperature.

...except that it definitely does shift based on temperature. It is trying to estimate the amount of energy that you can really get from the battery, and that does reduce some when it is cold. That's why people see this frequently, where the car seems to stop charging at a certain expected limit, but then drift down a percent or two when it cools down. But then you are correct about the second part that it is taking that estimated energy and dividing it by a consistent fixed EPA efficiency constant to convert the units into "rated miles".

So it's not Guess-O-Meter style, where the car keeps moving the efficiency constant around. It's just the car's analysis of how much energy it thinks it has that moves a little with temperature.
Yes that is true. I guess I mean that the percent-to-miles relationship is exactly linear and does not vary based on outside conditions.

But yes the BMS may adjust the % value up or down after sitting based on temperature.

Reactions: Rocky_H

Yep, battery voltage changes with temperature. All estimates start with battery voltage.

Hello All. I have a 2022 Model Y Performance with 7000 miles. When typically charging to 85% I would be able to get 285 miles out of that charge but over the last 2-3 weeks I've only been about to get in the 2035 range. I do live in Texas and it has been extremely hot but I did have a 2019 Model 3 Performance and did NOT see any dip in battery performance in extreme heat conditions. Is this a typical thing or is there an issue occurring? Thanks!
None of this makes sense. How are you measuring miles when charging to a certain percent? Are you using the odometer and seeing 285 miles of actual driving down to 0% then charging? Or do you set the slider to 85% then switch to miles? 285 miles at 85% is 335 miles at 100%. MYP are not rated that high. Do you mean 255? That would be 300 at 100%.

Please give us more detail on your normal usage. Charge to 85% and then? Drive to 0 and charge? Drive to 10%? How are you calculating your range? How are you driving? There is no way you are getting 285 miles of actual range out of 85% charge on a MYP unless you are hypermiling.

I wish people would stop using changes in the miles/% numbers on their screen as an indication of battery degradation. Seems to be so many simple minded Tesla owners out there who refuse to take the time and educate themselves about EV batteries.
It’s literally the best estimate known to man of the energy available in a specific pack, and tracks very well with capacity loss (with a lot of estimation noise). There is no better way to determine capacity loss, other than driving from 100% until reaching 0% and writing down the number on the trip meter - a method that has some drawbacks. (And will yield a very similar number in any case, after correcting for the buffer and other metering errors.)

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H