Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Drain Overnight.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking like that wifi theory was incorrect :-( I removed the wifi account from the car at about 17:45 yesterday, and car stayed online until I drove it (Tesco click and collect!), and then for an hour afterwards before going to sleep. I thought, Ok, it's now settled down and sleeping, so sorted, but then I get up this morning and whilst it slept for 11 hours, it woke up at 07:13 this morning and has been back in ""falling asleep" state for 2hrs 31 mins so far. It still seems very strange that it was not happening at the MIL's, so maybe whatever it is doing is now happening using the onboard SIM as opposed to wifi, What it is/could be doing is another matter entirely!

View attachment 637188
A comment from the peanut gallery:

2.5 years ago, I had to have the front port-side headlamp replaced, as I was suffering what was then a typical early build headlamp issue.

When the mobile repair chap showed up, I was expecting the typical remove bumper, disconnect headlamp, R&R the headlamp, re-connect the new headlamp, button things up and good to go.

However, once everything was buttoned up, he connected a laptop computer to the car AND had his smart phone going because...

...that headlamp had to then be "installed", like when one gets a new home printer, you have to fuss with settings, drivers, etc to get things to talk to each other.

When asked, I was told that the replacement headlamp would only fit in a small range of VINs and that the car had to recognize this before the new headlamp would function.

Where I'm going with all this: none of the "smart" parts of these cars are interchangeable with all others of the same model year.

And that is why we will all get the same software version, but owner "A" has one new bug, owner "B": gets a different new bug, owner "C" has no issues, etc.

IMO, a bunch of folks in the UK, in some VIN range, must have one "line replaceable unit" (LRU) batch that is not happy with the current software iteration...

• Informative
Reactions: Kenners
I don't see this issue but do use Teslafi not Teslamate, I do think this makes a difference.

Today, 100% asleep

upload_2021-2-16_18-42-21.png

yesterday it was awake between 19:18 and 21:18, maybe I looked at the app
upload_2021-2-16_18-43-45.png

The thing is TeslaFi doesn't poll the car when it thinks it should go to sleep, if you look at the battery graph it was only known to be awake at two points, everything else is an approximation because it stops polling ...
upload_2021-2-16_18-48-41.png

I don't know Teslamate, how it polls, but it can't be just querying the API as that would keep the car awake.

Attachments

• upload_2021-2-16_18-48-22.png
    upload_2021-2-16_18-48-22.png
    382.7 KB · Views: 35
A comment from the peanut gallery:

When asked, I was told that the replacement headlamp would only fit in a small range of VINs and that the car had to recognize this before the new headlamp would function.

Where I'm going with all this: none of the "smart" parts of these cars are interchangeable with all others of the same model year.

And that is why we will all get the same software version, but owner "A" has one new bug, owner "B": gets a different new bug, owner "C" has no issues, etc.

IMO, a bunch of folks in the UK, in some VIN range, must have one "line replaceable unit" (LRU) batch that is not happy with the current software iteration...

A good point. I've seen a lot of issues in other industries with exact same hardware behaving differently - usually due to slight differences in firmware etc.

Reactions: navguy12
Wifi disconnected is definitely making no difference. I removed the home wifi commection just befire the 2 short drives on evening of 15th, and after an initial 11 hour sleep, it's gone back to 7-8 hours sleep, 6 hours awake and repeat (currently faslling asleep for 46 mins)...

Last2Days.JPG

Wifi disconnected is definitely making no difference. I removed the home wifi commection just befire the 2 short drives on evening of 15th, and after an initial 11 hour sleep, it's gone back to 7-8 hours sleep, 6 hours awake and repeat (currently faslling asleep for 46 mins)...

View attachment 637486
Are you able to tell what the cabin temperature is during these long periods of falling asleep? I wonder if there's an error with a temperature sensor that is either keeping the car awake for battery conditioning because it believes it is too cold outside or less likely that it's too warm?

I had the same issue straight after the Xmas update (48.26) but it resolved itself after a week. During that time Tesla dialled into the car to diagnose an issue I was having where I was unable to turn on the climate remotely intermittently. They pushed an update (48.30) and it's been fine since.

:) It is really spooky how similar our readings are, and points very much towards a software issue as opposed to something specific either of us are doing as we've both reset everything under the sun!

Apologies if this has been covered before but does it make a difference if the car is connected to a charge point at the time? I'm noticing that my car will do top ups if left for a few days so it must be waking to check the state of charge and then initiating the top up at points during the day/night. I have found that the readiness of the car to do top ups has varied over the time I have had the car and I recall reading a while back of someone who claimed their car never did top ups (so they would still see battery drain).

Apologies if this has been covered before but does it make a difference if the car is connected to a charge point at the time? I'm noticing that my car will do top ups if left for a few days so it must be waking to check the state of charge and then initiating the top up at points during the day/night. I have found that the readiness of the car to do top ups has varied over the time I have had the car and I recall reading a while back of someone who claimed their car never did top ups (so they would still see battery drain).

Not connected to a charger. Last charge was at the Woodall SC on Sunday afternoon.

A good point. I've seen a lot of issues in other industries with exact same hardware behaving differently - usually due to slight differences in firmware etc.
It's probably due to hardware signing in the cars security protocols. Incould be wrong but I think that Tesla implements hardware signing to protect against unknown equipment being connected to it's CANBUS. This strengthens the car against hacking.
I saw a recent video where a guy swapped the centre console out in his Model Y for the new 2021 version. The car wouldn't start afterwards which was found to be due to the new console having an unrecognised card reader in it.nTesla service had to authorise the new card reader before the system would allow the car to start. Again this prevents someone connecting a hacked card reader to the car and driving off in it.

Reactions: navguy12 and init6
I'm going to see if there is any correlation between driving/charging and when it stops sleeping normally. e.g. is it 3 days after the last charge or drive?
Mine doesn't - it slept like a baby when at the In Laws at the weekend (120 miles one way, with an SC visit about half way), from about 30 mins after I parked up until I opened it briedfly the day after, then slept again within 15 mins until the day after, but when at home (return 120 mile journey with an SC stop), it went to sleep about 1n hour after I arrived home and slept for 11 hours, but has since just gone back to the 8/6 oscillation, so looks like it is doing something weird whilst at home, or maybe just a weird coincidence (which I highly doubt).

My car’s sleep behaviour isn’t rational or consistent, check this out, range loss of more than 10 miles while sleeping for 6 hours, then after being idle for 32 minutes for whatever reason takes another sleep losing less than 1 mile over a 5 hour period.
75050DA8-4A8F-4407-9CB6-C681C0ADDF03.jpeg

Also you can see how restless it is, this is typical:

E8FE9924-663F-4EAE-8E4A-778B1EC5BAE0.jpeg