Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Drain Overnight.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had another of the 6 hours online last night :-( First since I set home to be the Tesco car park.....

Last2Days.JPG

I'm still on 48.35.5 and my car has been awake all week. No 3rd party apps or services, sentry off, no apple watch or any of the other usual suspects for keeping the car awake. But the battery is being hammered. It does mean that setting the climate in the morning is quick though as you don't need to wait for the car to wake :p

I've set my home position back to where I park my car. Interestingly the car thinks I'm at my neighbours house according to the address. A weekend of little use should soon see if the problem returns.

I'm still on 48.35.5 and my car has been awake all week. No 3rd party apps or services, sentry off, no apple watch or any of the other usual suspects for keeping the car awake.

I bet if you report it to Tesla they'll say there's a 3rd party app keeping the car awake and ask you to change the password. Seems to be the standard 1st response, hence my building up some data to hopefully get to the bottom of this issue.

Still a bit early to see if we're back to normal.. Took 4 hours to sleep, but then slept for 15. Woke again this morning for 3 hours before I unexpectedly had to use the car. Should be off all weekend though so will see what the pattern is.

Interestingly the car thinks I'm at my neighbours house according to the address.

Apparently the car uses Google maps location for your address rather than the actual GPS co-ordinates, well that's what my overnight research led me to believe. My address appears to be two doors down on Google maps from where it really is. I've flagged it up to Google, so will see if that changes anything. I have a hunch about the home address, but need more data.

When I originally set home on mine it set it as number 3 (I live at 14), so I ended up having to change home to 3 to get it to match what it believes is reality!

In other news, I had another 6 hours awake again overnight, so it's been oscillating between 15 mins and 6 hours asleep for the last 4 nights 15 mins / 6 hours / 15 mins / 6 hours, which doesn;t seen right. An occasional 6 hours to charge the 12v is one thing, but every other night doesn't seem right, and it's exactly 6 hours every time - if charging 12v I'd expect it to vary depending on charge.

I'm not seeing the 15 minute online, but the 6 hour sessions are uncannily precise. 1st one is 6 hours 3 mins and 2 seconds. Second session is 6 hours 3 mins and 4 seconds. I may upgrade to 4.6 to see if that changes anything. I'm sure that'll be the first thing they tell me to do.

Screenshot 2021-03-01 at 10.20.03.png

I'm not seeing the 15 minute online, but the 6 hour sessions are uncannily precise. 1st one is 6 hours 3 mins and 2 seconds. Second session is 6 hours 3 mins and 4 seconds. I may upgrade to 4.6 to see if that changes anything. I'm sure that'll be the first thing they tell me to do.

View attachment 640948

I'm already on 4.6 - have been for over a week now. My last 2 awakes (and 3 of my last 4) have been the ~6 hour ones - 06:03, 06:03 and 05:41 duration for them. Asleep currently for 20 hrs 8 mins, so will see what it does this time!

My sleeps seem to be longer, but I'm still getting the 6 hours wakes. I've been using the car a bit more, so not had a chance to leave i as long. One thing I noticed is when the car goes into it's 'falling asleep' pattern if I go into the Tesla app and then come out, it falls asleep fairly quickly afterwards. When I tried this the online time was only 1 hour as opposed to the normal 6. I didn't manage to record how long between coming out of the app and the car falling asleep, but it was much quicker than normal. Will probably have to wait until the weekend to get another chance.

My sleeps seem to be longer, but I'm still getting the 6 hours wakes. I've been using the car a bit more, so not had a chance to leave i as long. One thing I noticed is when the car goes into it's 'falling asleep' pattern if I go into the Tesla app and then come out, it falls asleep fairly quickly afterwards. When I tried this the online time was only 1 hour as opposed to the normal 6. I didn't manage to record how long between coming out of the app and the car falling asleep, but it was much quicker than normal. Will probably have to wait until the weekend to get another chance.

I've been using the car quite a bit more recently too, and I've not had a 6 hour waken since immediately following the update to 2021.4.11 last Thursday, but I did stay overnight at my MIL's on Saturday (support bubble duties!). Car has currently been asleep for 18hrs 9 mins and I'm not planning on using it today, so will see what it does around 18:30 tonight!

I've been using the car quite a bit more recently too, and I've not had a 6 hour waken since immediately following the update to 2021.4.11 last Thursday, but I did stay overnight at my MIL's on Saturday (support bubble duties!). Car has currently been asleep for 18hrs 9 mins and I'm not planning on using it today, so will see what it does around 18:30 tonight!
Popcorn at the ready. :)

Popcorn at the ready. :)

Verdict is different behaviour than I've observed previously! Car woke up after 21 hours as opposed to the expected 24, and then was awake for 4 hours which is not a duration I've seen before. Overall the random extended awakes, whether 4 or 6 hours do seem to be consistently interspersed with long sleeps (and some daily wakes are only 15 minutes too), so overall loss has averaged not much more than 1% per day for a couple of weeks now, ever since the upgrade from 2020.48.35.5, which I think coincides with what you were seeing too. I might even change home location back to the correct one now from the Tesco car park :)

Verdict is different behaviour than I've observed previously! Car woke up after 21 hours as opposed to the expected 24, and then was awake for 4 hours which is not a duration I've seen before. Overall the random extended awakes, whether 4 or 6 hours do seem to be consistently interspersed with long sleeps (and some daily wakes are only 15 minutes too), so overall loss has averaged not much more than 1% per day for a couple of weeks now, ever since the upgrade from 2020.48.35.5, which I think coincides with what you were seeing too. I might even change home location back to the correct one now from the Tesco car park :)
I'm not convinced anything we do is changing the behaviour. The way our cars behave so similarly makes e think it's something at their end. Going to try to start the app when i see it going to sleep to see if I can force it to sleep quicker. It's almost like it's not disconnecting from the server properly and is being forced off by a timeout. Well that's my latest theory :)

I noticed that my car is doing the same. Between Monday to Friday the car is awake from 1:30 till around 5:15.
I am on octopus go faster 8:30-1:30 and during this time time the car is charging on daily basis. Usually charges for the duration and then stays awake till 5:15 and then goes to sleep.
During the weekend when the car is not charging it sleeps like a baby. Last weekend was on sleep for almost 48 hours. Also during the day it sleeps fine while is sitting parked at work.
Initially I though the problem lied with having on schedule although deactivated the preconditioning and the off peak hours that were set starting at 1:00 based on my previous tariff. Removed all these; made no difference whatsover.
Even more bizarre the fact that although the car is awake for almost 4 hours no loss of charge is recorded from either the car or teslafi..