Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery drain while parking at Gatwick

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During the summer my model S 85D tends to lose 4 miles of range per 24 hours when parked.

I drove to Gatwick yesterday and parked with 150 miles of range (60% approx)

I don’t return for a week and figured I’d only lose around 40 miles of range during my 8 days away.

Yesterday I checked the car after 24 hours to find it had lost 11 miles of range - double what I expected.

I’ve not been using the app at all to check the car and am surprised by this amount of battery drain in just one day.

Will Tesla remotely power down my car if I ask them? Or is there anything else that I can do?

Thanks

4 miles drain per 24 hours is too optimistic IMO.

I always work on 7 or 8.

Stop looking at the app is my only advice as this keeps waking the car and the longer you leave it the deeper sleep it goes into

I've been worried about this exact scenario.... I'v read everything you're supposed to do (turn off cabin overheat protection, turn on energy saving, turn off always connected, turn off sentry mode, and limit the use of the app) but there should surely be something you can do in your situation!!!

I’m going to review the situation on Monday. If the drain means I’ll still have enough juice to get to the Pod-Point chargers located at Gatwick then i’ll stop worrying.

Just out of interest. Is it bad to power down the car when parked outside? Presumably this stops the battery conditioning and protecting itself?

For anyone following the thread, I got this reply from Tesla Assistance after emailing for advice.

“...The vehicle appears to now be in a low power mode now. The range drop may have been from the vehicle settling after the journey to Gatwick.

There isn't anything further we can do remotely, I would suggest leaving the vehicle for another few days before checking again. ...”

For anyone following the thread, I got this reply from Tesla Assistance after emailing for advice.

“...The vehicle appears to now be in a low power mode now. The range drop may have been from the vehicle settling after the journey to Gatwick.

There isn't anything further we can do remotely, I would suggest leaving the vehicle for another few days before checking again. ...”
Makes sense to me. I see bigger overnight drops from "hot" conditions (weather and hot driving) to "cold". A "hot" battery will give more range but will lose more when cooled. Looks a bit worrying seeing a big drop but I am sure you will see it settles down to normal vampire loss once temps have stabilised.

If you want to reduce vampire drain turn on energy saving, turn off ALL data access on the car, turn off passive entry, and your be surprised how little the drain is.

2% loss in 10 days, no idea what that is in miles but roughly 1 mile a day?

36705544130_faeb6b7006_z_d.jpg

37302391195_f40963eec0_z_d.jpg

By way of an update:

I left my car for 8 days just over a week ago with 150 miles of range when I parked.

It lost 11miles the first 24 hours (5%) after parking and then 32 miles over the next 7 days which equates to 4-5 miles per day or 2%.

I avoided using the Tesla app so the car could sleep and the car would have experienced daily temperatures up to 38C or 100F for the past week (unusual for the UK!)

So not seeing any significant additional vampire drain once the car was parked after the first day. Nor does the car appear to be running the fan unnecessarily.

• Informative
Reactions: cezdoc
I recently parked in Vancouver BC for 3.5 days and my range fell from 205 miles to about 75. Luckily I wasn't far from the Tsawwassen SC so I was able to get back to Seattle OK but this a shock as well as a big inconvenience. I did not follow any of the power-saving tips I've read on this thread. Climate was off, but sentry mode was on, as were data services, etc. This seems really excessive for just a few days--thoughts?