Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Fuse Replacement 2016 Model S 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been driving with my fuse in the warning state ever since all this started because my quote was $1500 to replace it, and knowing how Tesla works and that this was a safety issue and part of the HV battery pack I declined the repair and told them I'll wait until they decide to replace them at no cost to me. I'd already been burnt by replacing my MCU on my dime and being denied any kind of reimbursement because I had the nerve to know it was an issue and the service center refused to replace it because it was 'working'....so nope, I held out and then one morning this past week I got in the car and noticed yellow on my gauges...oh, cold battery? Wait, limiting my acceleration as WELL as regen...odd, rebooted, still there. Check service mode and see the codes referencing the fuse and an additional one saying my car was put in limp mode due to the fuse. Great... Contact service for appointment after seeing someone mention a corporate directive to replace the fuses and cover them... They give me a quote for two $200 charges to diagnose, then later revise to 1 $200 charge and then once I arrive and they finish work they indicate it was going to be covered w/no charge.

I found it really annoying that they put my car in limp mode. Tesla, how about you CONTACT the customer and talk to them personally rather than crippling their car. This entire situation was very poorly handled right from the start of using this part in the first place, and then not documenting the need to replace it in any customer facing documentation. Do better.

well its a good data point that the error will actually limit power after some time
rumor has it that when pyro internal battery depletes it will trigger explosion at lower current but i haven't found anyone to confirm this yet...
i might do it myself one day..
also since pyro fuse is dumb device, firmware is just pre-programmed to behave in this way just in case, pretty sure most of those internal batteries could last much longer on majority of cars

Reactions: gaswalla
This whole thing could have been handled so much better. Every car should have this flagged on internal notes when car goes into service. Why create more traffic to the service center just for a fuse when these cars are probably coming in for something else during a 12-24 month span. And there should be some effort to ensure folks get this done under warranty - it's a quick fix and inexpensive, plus the cause is really due to design by Tesla

I am now part of the club :(.

Fortunately I don't have to drop the pack. It seems easy enough. Easier than an oil change actually.

The only problem is setting the new fuse type. Apparently Tesla is extorting their customers for $170 or so per day for the privilege of working on vehicles we own. That's a hard pill to swallow. I've got a used Loki diagnostics tool on ebay that I'm hoping will unlock service mode plus.

I am now part of the club :(.

Fortunately I don't have to drop the pack. It seems easy enough. Easier than an oil change actually.

The only problem is setting the new fuse type. Apparently Tesla is extorting their customers for $170 or so per day for the privilege of working on vehicles we own. That's a hard pill to swallow. I've got a used Loki diagnostics tool on ebay that I'm hoping will unlock service mode plus.
Are you outside of 8 years?