Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pyro Fuse Fuss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TLDR: 2016.5 Model S I had the pyro fuse replaced by Tesla service center free of charge.

I got the Pyro fuse notification on my Thanksgiving trip. I'm pretty handy and have usually done my own maintenance on my vehicles. So, I planned on doing this myself. I returned home and searched for how to purchase the fuse I read through this, and other forums and was getting some conflicting information. I tried calling my local SC and left a message to order the part, I did not get a call back. Honestly, I was getting pretty worked up that I was having trouble ordering the part I needed.
Finally, I decided to take my chances with Tesla SC doing the work, since most of the recent post were saying te repair was done under warranty.
I requested the service 26 dec, the earliest availability in NW FL was 29Dec. Which I thought was pretty good. When the estimate came back it said $0. The appointment was at 0815, within 20 minutes they had the fused replaced and were putting the car together. By 0915 I was leaving. They were super nice and cleared out another code with a key fob. Overall positive experience. I'm still annoyed I can't just order the parts I need but anytime they wanna do the work for free I guess that's better.

Hi. I am helping a neighbor with this problem. They have a 2016 model X. My statement to them was that this is a safety issue and the NHTSA issues safety recalls all the time on cars and the manufacturer *must* contact the current owner and resolve the issue. Clearly if the system that disconnects the high voltage battery in an accident is not working this is a safety issue. Reputable car manufacturers take safety recalls very seriously so they do not get the "ford pinto" stink on them. Warranty does not matter, age of the car does not matter. The NHTSA is an amazing thing in the US and we would all thank Ralph Nader! BTW my neighbor also had a roof panel fly off the car while on the highway. Tesla said "we have never seen that before ever, it will take us a while to order the parts, very odd that this happened to you." When I researched the pyro fuse issue i found a TSB at the NHTSA and a safety recall for this exact problem. When a car comes in for service it is normal to check for all recalls and all TSB. This car was never recalled and glue which would have resolved this problem was never applied. NHTSA campaign number: 20V710. Tesla’s own number for this recall is SB-20-12-005. So beware that Tesla is *not* contacting customers about recall issues and trying to charge customers for repairs that should be safety recall. Everyone should visit the NHTSA and check for recalls because Tesla is not contacting people. carcomplaints.com is another resource i use frequently to gently convince the service manager that this is a recurring design defect that i should not pay for. Having data that everyone has this issue with the service manager / regional manager has paid for 3x transmissions and earned me "thank you thank you thank you" from friends and family.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Hi. I am helping a neighbor with this problem. They have a 2016 model X. My statement to them was that this is a safety issue and the NHTSA issues safety recalls all the time on cars and the manufacturer *must* contact the current owner and resolve the issue. Clearly if the system that disconnects the high voltage battery in an accident is not working this is a safety issue. Reputable car manufacturers take safety recalls very seriously so they do not get the "ford pinto" stink on them. Warranty does not matter, age of the car does not matter. The NHTSA is an amazing thing in the US and we would all thank Ralph Nader! BTW my neighbor also had a roof panel fly off the car while on the highway. Tesla said "we have never seen that before ever, it will take us a while to order the parts, very odd that this happened to you." When I researched the pyro fuse issue i found a TSB at the NHTSA and a safety recall for this exact problem. When a car comes in for service it is normal to check for all recalls and all TSB. This car was never recalled and glue which would have resolved this problem was never applied. NHTSA campaign number: 20V710. Tesla’s own number for this recall is SB-20-12-005. So beware that Tesla is *not* contacting customers about recall issues and trying to charge customers for repairs that should be safety recall. Everyone should visit the NHTSA and check for recalls because Tesla is not contacting people. carcomplaints.com is another resource i use frequently to gently convince the service manager that this is a recurring design defect that i should not pay for. Having data that everyone has this issue with the service manager / regional manager has paid for 3x transmissions and earned me "thank you thank you thank you" from friends and family.

Exactly none of this applies to the pyro fuse, but thanks for playing.

My 2016.5 with 118K miles is in the shop for the pyro fuse replacement and some other stuff,(GPS shows the car in another state) been driving a Model 3 loaner all week, this is a really nice car, if it had an air suspension and Plaid I would buy one.