Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pyro Fuse Fuss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have seen multiple Model S reports, both in USA and Europe, over the past few days indicating alert that battery operated pyro fuse needs replacement with newer self powered pyro fuse. In some cases pack needs removal due to location of access cover. So far underdetermined if covered under warranty.

This video (cued at 7:30 minute) shows what I believe is the current battery operated pyro fuse. Later, at the 12 minute mark, he shows updated self powered replacement utilizing a chip instead of batteries. Hopefully all replacements will have this redesigned pyro fuse not requiring periodic battery replacement.

Cannot determine exact source of attached pic of memo, but seems legit.

Looks like same issue was reported last year. Legacy Tesla Model S/X to Get Pyro Fuse End-of-Life Warnings - TeslaNorth.com

Lastly, here on TMC a few months ago. Battery Fuse Replacement 2016 Model S 90D

Attachments

• 361901356_6156977351066747_3021094774511493092_n.jpg
    361901356_6156977351066747_3021094774511493092_n.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 2,691
Last edited:
I think this is a scam by Tesla who have realised that the original battery powered pyro fuse is failing to blow on some cars so added a date check to the firmware to trigger the alert.
The fuse has no way to communicate with the car so they have just picked an amount that these will last until.
They should be doing a recall IMO.

It's annoying for me as I drive a salvage car which I dropped the pack and had the fuse in hand. If I'd know I would have changed it, no mention of this until last year or so.

What I'm interested in knowing is , if there is a routine in Toolbox 3 to set the configuration to the new fuse?

It's annoying for me as I drive a salvage car which I dropped the pack and had the fuse in hand. If I'd know I would have changed it, no mention of this until last year or so.
I'm pretty sure it has been known since they put those fuses in that they were time limited by the internal battery because it wasn't rechargeable. @wk057 mentioned it recently:

Anyway, we'll be seeing a LOT more of these as time goes on... there's at least 100,000 cars out there that will need the battery-powered fuse replaced, which I think is supposedly good for 9-10 years.

The @Ingineer video in the first post is from more than 2 years ago.

There was a greentheonly tweet, and article, about it more than a year ago: Legacy Tesla Model S/X to Get Pyro Fuse End-of-Life Warnings - TeslaNorth.com

Tesla didn't specifically call out the lifetime of the "tiny lithium-ion battery" in their 2015 blog post: Three Dog Day | Tesla

While working on our goal of making the power train last a million miles, we came up with the idea for an advanced smart fuse for the battery. Instead of a standard fuse that just melts past a certain amperage, requiring a big gap between the normal operating current and max current, we developed a fuse with its own electronics and a tiny lithium-ion battery.

I think this is a scam by Tesla who have realised that the original battery powered pyro fuse is failing to blow on some cars so added a date check to the firmware to trigger the alert.
The fuse has no way to communicate with the car so they have just picked an amount that these will last until.
They should be doing a recall IMO.

What I'm interested in knowing is , if there is a routine in Toolbox 3 to set the configuration to the new fuse?
I'm pretty sure it has been known since they put those fuses in that they were time limited by the internal battery because it wasn't rechargeable. @wk057 mentioned it recently:

There was a greentheonly tweet, and article, about it more than a year ago: Legacy Tesla Model S/X to Get Pyro Fuse End-of-Life Warnings - TeslaNorth.com

Tesla didn't specifically call out the lifetime of the "tiny lithium-ion battery" in their 2015 blog post: Three Dog Day | Tesla
Do you know if this replacement is covered under the 8 year HV battery warranty?

Reactions: Ronko
Do you know if this replacement is covered under the 8 year HV battery warranty?
Not sure yet, I've seen an invoice from US which was covered but lots in the UK over the last few days have been getting quotes for around £300.
On newer batteries the fuse can be accessed from below rather than above needing the pack to be dropped.

Reactions: NV Ray

I agree it seems to have been known but not communicated very well, its not in any service schedule, you'd think they would mention it.
I've been around these forums for a couple of years and only seen it mentioned recently.

I just got the message - 2016 85D.

I am tempted to just replace the primary lithium cells for an 8 year life extension, as that seems to be the only issue here.

But I don’t know how to reset the fault code - can anyone tell me?

I would assume so, as it sets a fault and puts the car in limp-home mode when the fuse "expires". But with a life of 9-10 years, none of them should fail during the 8-year HV battery warranty period.

But reports are that Tesla charges ~$250, or ~$600, to replace it depending on if the packs has to be removed from the vehicle or not. (I'm not sure if those vehicles are salvage such that they don't have warranty, as it seems like that should be covered. But then again it is a "maintenance" item, but once it is replaced it shouldn't ever need replaced again.)

This alert just came on yesterday on our 2017 S 75 with 14,999 miles. Purchased March 2017. Recently replaced original 12v by Mobile Service, original 12v still good as. Ever received alert to replace but ……kept original 12v for play projects.
any facts on warranty for the Fuse replacement? MS perhaps?

Was told Tesla Corporate sent notice to Service centers that it is to NOT be covered under warranty. Even though in my case, it's being replaced and it's 6 month end of life notice brings it to end of life before warranty is over, it is not going to be covered. Corp States it's a wear item. Well, so are suspension components, but if a suspension component fails before the bumper to bumper warranty is over, it's covered. This fuse battery is failing before the battery & drive unit warranty is up, but it's not being covered.

Right now, my repair estimate is just over $700. I can see a lawsuit being filed by someone over this as breach of warranty.

I'd have no arguments paying for the replacement if the warranty was up, however, this rubs me the wrong way.

Was told Tesla Corporate sent notice to Service centers that it is to NOT be covered under warranty. Even though in my case, it's being replaced and it's 6 month end of life notice brings it to end of life before warranty is over, it is not going to be covered. Corp States it's a wear item. Well, so are suspension components, but if a suspension component fails before the bumper to bumper warranty is over, it's covered. This fuse battery is failing before the battery & drive unit warranty is up, but it's not being covered.

Right now, my repair estimate is just over $700. I can see a lawsuit being filed by someone over this as breach of warranty.

I'd have no arguments paying for the replacement if the warranty was up, however, this rubs me the wrong way.
Screenshot_20230721_080627_Chrome.jpg

Someone should file an arbitration claim on this immediately as a first step. Easy and low stakes.

I got the BMS_u031 error last week and have an appointment with Tesla on Jul 31 to get it fixed. I have a 2016 Model S 90D with a good 70k miles on it, which is both under battery warranty and used car warranty (bought in 2020 from Tesla, 4 year warranty still came with the car at the time). So I don't expect to pay, but can report back under which warranty they fixed it.

The car is not in "limp home mode" like somebody mentioned, it is fully driveable.

I got the BMS_u031 error last week and have an appointment with Tesla on Jul 31 to get it fixed. I have a 2016 Model S 90D with a good 70k miles on it, which is both under battery warranty and used car warranty (bought in 2020 from Tesla, 4 year warranty still came with the car at the time). So I don't expect to pay, but can report back under which warranty they fixed it.

The car is not in "limp home mode" like somebody mentioned, it is fully driveable.
Does the repair estimate indicate you have to pay? Could you post pic of that repair estimate? Thx.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
@wk057 provides his valuable guidance today on Twitter. Unable to get link to work.

Key advice:

1. Have Tesla do it, not DIY recommended.
2. ...affect all cars built from about mid 2015 to 2018, plus any packs replaced/remanufactured in that time.No impact on ceramic fuse vehicles (pre mid 2015 and no Ludicrous).
3. Tesla part number "1111313-00-F" for a replacement fuse.To the best of my knowledge, they won't actually sell this to you. YMMV, and you still need a way to reset the BMS pyrofuse install date even if you DIY it.

Last edited:
This came today, somehow they are trying to sell me the CCS retrofit conversion too. It just appears in the request service part of app. I have no need or want and told them when I first saw it, so did not confirm appointment. Strange sales technique for someone not paying attention or too much other stuff to notice.
seems like the are not going to cover this so class action sounds fair to me, it is part of batteries and a safety feature that is failing.

Attachments

• IMG_1509.jpeg
    IMG_1509.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG_1508.jpeg
    IMG_1508.jpeg
    259 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_1507.jpeg
    IMG_1507.jpeg
    173.8 KB · Views: 554