Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery packs have capacities of ~50 kWh and ~75 kWh - Elon Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They have a LOT of gigafactory ramping to do.
At 5000 cars/week they need to produce 0.4 gwh per week. It currently takes them roughly a month to produce that much (assuming 5 gwh/yr run rate)
So they need to quadruple battery production by end of this year.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
That would mean 227 & 241 wh/mile. Not sure that is achievable under normal driving conditions. That is more than 4 miles / kWh. To me that seems like a stretch.

Having driven Leafs for over 60k miles, I am super skeptical of manufacturers overstating their range.
4 miles/kWh is right about the EPA range average for most EVs. Old Leaf was 84 miles on 20 kWh (useable). I used to get between 100+ (summer) and 65 (winter) in mixed city/freeway driving.

Since Leaf has a small battery - we feel it is running out as soon as "low battery" shows. This reduces Leaf's apparent range & efficiency.

But the S and the 3 are totally different cars!!! In the S you're able to enjoy Autopilot with a dedicated steering wheel stalk (number three out of four stalks), while on the 3 you have to use the bloody RNPD stalk. (Wtf!!) Furthermore, on the S you have the pleasure of using a key FOB while 3 uses a puny credit card thingie! To top it all off, S has actual door handles while 3 has some weird frigging BUTTON you have to press all the way down until the opening mechanism engages.

I can't believe you're comparing the two. Weird. Just weird
I agree. The Model 3 is complete garbage. Everyone should cancel their reservation right now.

They created a bottleneck then by only producing the larger range battery first and according to delivery estimates even when they are producing both they make you wait an extra 2-3 months if you want the standard battery. They should just allow customers to choose what they want when their number comes up, that would help to alleviate some bottlenecking.

And that would slow Tesla's ability to ramp production while also decreasing revenue/profits. Not sure that's any better.

Is that any different than an ice not hitting its mpg rating when driving 70mph on the highway?
I find it interesting that people even compare EV to ICE. They are completely different technologies. It's like comparing the iPhone with a flip phone. iPhone has a battery life of 10 hours and most flip phones can last over a week. The flip phone is also cheaper. But does comparing them in that way makes sense? Not really.

Regarding Tesla's battery supply contract to Australia -- please check my arithmetic:

120 MWh supply contract
60 kWh Model 3 battery

~ 2,000 cars worth.

Edit: Thanks, @schonelucht

I use 75 kWh Model 3 as the divisor and come up with 1600 cars worth.

Still a significant amount but less than a weeks worth when looking at 5,000 a week goal for End of 2017.

I guess it's several weeks worth compared to current Model 3 production.

Last edited:
I find it interesting that people even compare EV to ICE. They are completely different technologies. It's like comparing the iPhone with a flip phone. iPhone has a battery life of 10 hours and most flip phones can last over a week. The flip phone is also cheaper. But does comparing them in that way makes sense? Not really.

I'm not seeing how your comment pertains to mine...?