Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery upgrade / replacement.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds unnecessarily expensive. I would just buy a newer car and reap the benefits of having a warranty on other things as well. +AP, interior etc

Makes sense for some, others not so. Going from an MX75D to 100D where I’m from is $40k difference. And because where I’m from, that $40k puts the MX into a different tax bracket and taxes of 25% are added to total purchase price ($150k car becomes $187.5k). It would be a lot cheaper for me to get the MX75D ($110k) and run over to NC to do a battery swap.

I would think they would replace it with a software locked 75. Since that was a valid config on even the newer 75kWhr packs.
Well I just caught TESLA in another lye "Surprising"...
My Battery Needs Replacing, so why not upgrade it with the newest technology (newer, better, lighter). They said they can't. Can't or won't I asked..? and I was told that it has never been done and that they are not compatible.
{OK actually 2 Lye's}

Owner: David Noland
Model 2013 Tesla Model S
Tesla SC: White Plains, New York
Price of 85kWh: $44,564 (as of time a article)
Price of 60kWh: $37,102 (as of time a article)
Net Difference: $7,457
Article Date: Dec 20, 2013
Life With Tesla Model S: Battery Upgrade From 60 kWh To 85 kWh

So I called White Plains and Alex in the SC reviewed the vehicle history and came back and denied the report.
...Is the respectable journalist David Nowland a lier or Tesla??

I then cross searched the VIN:
The number in quotes identifies that this was originally a 60 {5YJSA1C”G”4DFP03662} if it was originally a 85 it would be an “N”

I then found this photo from the dealership that sold it.

THE TRUTH IS ANY TESLA MODEL S CAN HAVE THE BATTERY UPGRADED AND TESLA HAS DONE IT .

They have upgraded 60's to 85's; a 2012 P85 and 2015 85D to 90 so why can't we just go from a 60 straight to a 90 or even 100?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 11.22.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 11.22.50 AM.png
    530.3 KB · Views: 109
Reactions: Daddy S
There are no technical reasons. All batteries from the Model S and X fit on all cars. The dimensions and connectors are the same. The 100 battery needs one small plastic ring for the connector (or something like that) but that's it. The software in the car can handle all battery types. The chargers and drive units can handle the different voltages as well. There are many examples of Teslas that got a different battery. Most recently an owner in Colorado who's 60 battery died and he got an 85 battery and they didn't even bother software limiting it. There are also a few non-Tesla shops that offer battery upgrades.

For some reason, Tesla does not want to upgrade batteries as a service. I guess they rather sell new cars than batteries only. Some stories said Tesla reluctantly offered an upgrade but asked something around $25k for it and you had to give your old battery back. An old Tesla battery on eBay is worth $14-18k. Those batteries are in demand. So that's a really bad deal.

There are no technical reasons. All batteries from the Model S and X fit on all cars. The dimensions and connectors are the same. The 100 battery needs one small plastic ring for the connector (or something like that) but that's it. The software in the car can handle all battery types. The chargers and drive units can handle the different voltages as well. There are many examples of Teslas that got a different battery. Most recently an owner in Colorado who's 60 battery died and he got an 85 battery and they didn't even bother software limiting it. There are also a few non-Tesla shops that offer battery upgrades.

For some reason, Tesla does not want to upgrade batteries as a service. I guess they rather sell new cars than batteries only. Some stories said Tesla reluctantly offered an upgrade but asked something around $25k for it and you had to give your old battery back. An old Tesla battery on eBay is worth $14-18k. Those batteries are in demand. So that's a really bad deal.

it is only a matter of time until you get aftermarket 100-120kw battteries though.

Reactions: tccartier
Well I just caught TESLA in another lye "Surprising"...
My Battery Needs Replacing, so why not upgrade it with the newest technology (newer, better, lighter). They said they can't. Can't or won't I asked..? and I was told that it has never been done and that they are not compatible.
{OK actually 2 Lye's}

Owner: David Noland
Model 2013 Tesla Model S
Tesla SC: White Plains, New York
Price of 85kWh: $44,564 (as of time a article)
Price of 60kWh: $37,102 (as of time a article)
Net Difference: $7,457
Article Date: Dec 20, 2013
Life With Tesla Model S: Battery Upgrade From 60 kWh To 85 kWh

So I called White Plains and Alex in the SC reviewed the vehicle history and came back and denied the report.
...Is the respectable journalist David Nowland a lier or Tesla??

I then cross searched the VIN:
The number in quotes identifies that this was originally a 60 {5YJSA1C”G”4DFP03662} if it was originally a 85 it would be an “N”

I then found this photo from the dealership that sold it.

THE TRUTH IS ANY TESLA MODEL S CAN HAVE THE BATTERY UPGRADED AND TESLA HAS DONE IT .

They have upgraded 60's to 85's; a 2012 P85 and 2015 85D to 90 so why can't we just go from a 60 straight to a 90 or even 100?

They actually told me at one point that I was getting a 100 battery since they could not find any new Version 3 batteries (I had told them from the start that I would only accept a new V3 battery as a replacement). When they said this I told them I would give them $5,000 to just make it a P100D instead of limiting it to a 90 battery, as least they would be making some money for installing a 100 battery and I even said I might pay a little more since at the time the difference in price between the 2 cars was exactly $10,000 I believe. However they said they had found a new V3 battery last minute and it was (1088792-00-A) which was the second version of the 2 V3 batteries as I already knew about the differences in 90 batteries. However my receipt says it's that battery as well as the sticker on the battery. It may be possible they still did install a 100 battery as I have heard rumors that they give (drag times, etc) better or even higher batteries than what it actually suppose to be getting tested to them so that they come back with better reviews.
Obviously I am not upset if they did (replace with a 100 limit to a 90) or even if they did just give the V3 1088792-00-A battery as my times are faster than most P100D times

IMG_E0071.JPG
IMG_0072.PNG

Last edited:
Did you have bad cells? Poor charging? What determined your battery replacement?

Not sure, for one my charging cord fried while charging (the plug in my house not in the car) and if I wasn't home who knows if my whole house would have burned down. Secondly I was only getting 450kw at full charge with max battery, not even close to what the performance should be. But my range was still at 269 after 18k miles I believe. So if it was a issue of something else I really didn't want to replace it cause it had hardly degraded (2-3 miles, and yes I understand it isn't exact experts lol). So I had called and told them about the incident and that I thought something was wrong with my battery cause it was actually under 450kw at that point (I had a version 3 1088790-00-A battery already, so way low compared to what it should be). Here's the retarded part, they actually scheduled an appointment for them to check the battery and when I showed up they tell me yes, before I even finished my full name that indeed there was an issue lol. So they can see this without you ever bringing your battery in. (could have saved me a whole day of planing to drop it off or wait while they checked cuz it wasn't like they were ready for my car to be dropped off that day). I'm sure they know of a ton of bad batteries but if you ain't complaining about it you sure are not going to get a call from them telling you that you need a new $30K battery or whatever they cost (don't quote me on the price cause I have no idea and I know some fan boy will). So what really determined it was something was wrong, why I was going to get it regardless is cause it was nowhere near 500 kw which a V3 should be around 485-490 kw with only 18K miles. I wasn't using launch mode and not driving that crazy (0-60 mph often). Now I am cause I have been trying too see if it competes with 100 batteries and to be honest my times are way better than what's posted. My 0-30 mph is up there with the top 5 maybe 3, but it doesn't realize Im at 60 mph (my dragy, a device that records times) instead when I am at 70 mph it will finally say 60 mph. I will posts pics of similar 0-30 mph times and their 0-60 mph times

BLUF Technically possible for Tesla to do but not common.

I am having the battery replaced on my 2012 P85 now, warranty replacement though. They have put a 90kWHr pack in as they don't make any of the 85s anymore apparently. So that said, it is technically possible for Tesla to do this and I do recall one service adviser saying that they had someone outright buy a 90 pack to swap out for an 85 I believe. But that should be taken with a grain of salt.
What happed to it y is it being replaced

I had an imbalance in the pack. A module or group of cells within a module went bad.

But yes, it sounds like the particular SC that 5StarAdvisor spoke with is completely full of it.

Is there any way to check before booking an appointment that there could be an imbalance?

2012 85 here with 225mi @100%

Tried charging to 100% from <20%, but still shows 225 at 100%

Thanks!

Is there any way to check before booking an appointment that there could be an imbalance?

2012 85 here with 225mi @100%

Tried charging to 100% from <20%, but still shows 225 at 100%

Thanks!

Is there anything abnormal going on with your battery, such as a rapid drop in capacity, not charging to 100%, not accepting regen, shutting down with battery percentage/miles still remaining? Those are usually indications something is wrong with your battery. Otherwise, if you are taking it in simply because you have 225 miles at 100%, I don't think there's much Tesla will do for you. How many miles do you have out of curiosity?

Reactions: IMCDC5
Is there anything abnormal going on with your battery, such as a rapid drop in capacity, not charging to 100%, not accepting regen, shutting down with battery percentage/miles still remaining? Those are usually indications something is wrong with your battery. Otherwise, if you are taking it in simply because you have 225 miles at 100%, I don't think there's much Tesla will do for you. How many miles do you have out of curiosity?

Nah, nothing crazy going on. Just always been curious about the degradation since it seemed lower than other 2012s.
I'm at 130,xxx miles

Nah, nothing crazy going on. Just always been curious about the degradation since it seemed lower than other 2012s.
I'm at 130,xxx miles

Ah, okay. Well, unfortunately Tesla probably won't give you anything more than "everything looks normal". Just realize the displayed range isn't the most accurate way to measure degradation. I made a post about it in this thread if you're interested. If you really want to get the specifics, you could pull the total capacity (kWh) of your battery cells and look at the cell balance/imbalance yourself. This requires reading the data off your CAN bus using something like TM-Spy or Scan My Tesla, which requires a OBD adapter/cable and bluetooth dongle.

... the displayed range isn't the most accurate way to measure degradation.

I have been monitoring the BMS data on my car over the last 3 years or so. The rated range number corresponds consistently with the 'pack nominal capacity'.
Nominal capacity / rated consumption = rated range. Looking at the rated range is the same as looking at the pack capacity.

Did you see any inconsistance over the years in your car?

Reactions: MP3Mike