Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery will not charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I left chicago last night and barely made it to champaine IL when I got to supercharger I had 4% and then supercharger would not charge my battery and now is dead. Support has suggested I try to warm the charge port? Please help

Keep trying to re-plug in the Supercharger to your Tesla. I had this happen to me in MN on my 2,000-mile trip home from Seattle to Iowa last month. It was 2:40am and sub-zero with the wind chill. Tesla was zero help.

I learned that persistence pays. At first I got the red ring instead of the expected blue-to-green. After an hour, I simply kept trying it over and over. Red. Red. Red. 7th time...long pause...then pulsing GREEN! Good luck!!

I left chicago last night and barely made it to champaine IL when I got to supercharger I had 4% and then supercharger would not charge my battery and now is dead. Support has suggested I try to warm the charge port? Please help
I stumbled into this video that demonstrates how you can get around the problem you experienced (and the tuck door handles too). Take a peek.

No update from OP hopefully she's okay and didn't turn into a human Popsicle. For all of the people here who are dismissive of these cold weather problems, here's another example. Tesla needs to get this stuff fixed.

austin1.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: SpudLime
OP was stating that car will not charge, not that charger latch was frozen. To me it looks like two totally different problems.

It's her very first post, apparently posted @ 7AM local time while she was sitting with a car that wouldn't charge.... so I'd say it's entirely possible she couldn't articulate between "car won't charge" and "car can't connect successfully to the charger" FFS. She probably spent her morning freezing while waiting for a flat bed to show up and tow her car to a damn service center.

One thing I know FOR SURE is that if she had a brand new $50,000 internal combustion car she'd have zero problems fueling it with a nearly empty tank after driving in cold temperatures.

Tesla needs to fix it.

From reading her post I’m thinking the battery (despite what I would think would be warm driving all the way from Chicago) wasn’t capable of immediately starting a charge, not that there was any issues plugging in. Would have liked more info on the charge port colors. So when you plug in doesn’t the equipment assess your battery and determine how to start charging? Kind of clueless what actually happens at that end of things. I know from people home charging in very cold weather charging can slow down or not even seem to want to charge. Could it also be possible that that particular Supercharger stall was having problems in the cold and it wasn’t her car or maybe a combo of both? Even if she had 4% SOC left is it likely due to the very cold temps the battery didn’t want to take a charge or would have charged very very slowly in the beginning because it was so cold?

@Chloe5555 I hope you stayed safe and had a place to stay warm and help came soon. Please let us know more about your unfortunate experience.

As for Tesla fixing this @voip-ninja what did you have in mind? Turning the car into a hybrid? I’m old enough to remember many nights of below 0 temps when I was younger, and I lived in Chicago during some of them. Also recall despite having had winter-rated oil put in my car, having a car battery that just couldn’t crank in the very cold weather, not until it warmed up. Not sure what my battery rating was back then but there have been many years since then that people didn’t see these kinds of temps being experienced right now and probably are finding their car batteries not with enough cold cranking power. Why pay extra for a higher rated battery if your area doesn’t typically get that low. Sucks feeling trapped without a car that won’t run due to the cold, especially if you are away from home. All this has me remembering my boyfriend at the time who had a diesel Mercedes jumping through all kinds of hoops to prevent his car from not running, only to still have it dead when he was ready to leave.

Last edited:
Since people invented modern motor oil and injection there is no more problem to start ICE car in -20F., well unless you car is not in good shape.
Our parking lot was full this morning, everybody made it to work, there are only two electrical cars out 200-300 ICE cars, my Tesla, and Leaf. I did not see Leaf, with that crappy range owner probably decided to play safe and stayed home.

From reading her post I’m thinking the battery (despite what I would think would be warm driving all the way from Chicago) wasn’t capable of immediately starting a charge, not that there was any issues plugging in. Would have liked more info on the charge port colors. So when you plug in doesn’t the equipment assess your battery and determine how to start charging? Kind of clueless what actually happens at that end of things. I know from people home charging in very cold weather charging can slow down or not even seem to want to charge. Could it also be possible that that particular Supercharger stall was having problems in the cold and it wasn’t her car or maybe a combo of both? Even if she had 4% SOC left is it likely due to the very cold temps the battery didn’t want to take a charge or would have charged very very slowly in the beginning because it was so cold?

@Chloe5555 I hope you stayed safe and had a place to stay warm and help came soon. Please let us know more about your unfortunate experience.

As for Tesla fixing this @voip-ninja what did you have in mind? Turning the car into a hybrid? I’m old enough to remember many nights of below 0 temps when I was younger, and I lived in Chicago during some of them. Also recall despite having had winter-rated oil put in my car, having a car battery that just couldn’t crank in the very cold weather, not until it warmed up. Not sure what my battery rating was back then but there have been many years since then that people didn’t see these kinds of temps being experienced right now and probably are finding their car batteries not with enough cold cranking power. Why pay extra for a higher rated battery if your area doesn’t typically get that low. Sucks feeling trapped without a car that won’t run due to the cold, especially if you are away from home. All this has me remembering my boyfriend at the time who had a diesel Mercedes jumping through all kinds of hoops to prevent his car from not running, only to still have it dead when he was ready to leave.

If the car had been in operation and not started cold there's no reason it should not have charged. It is more likely that the charge port door was frozen shut or the charging would not engage. There are engineering fixes to both problems if Tesla has a little more foresight.

Is this just an issue for Model 3 and this new battery type?. Seems like I haven’t noticed it with winter tested MS/MX versions that have been out longer.

Highly doubt it has anything to do with the battery.

Keep in mind that Tesla sold more M3 in 2018 than S and X have been sold cumulatively since those older cars launched.

Tesla is also reaching a wider audience, more of these owners likely park their cars outdoors, etc.

I had to supercharge in IL this morning when it was still -20F and had an issue with the charging cable being so cold that it was difficult to flex and because of it not flexing properly it would start initializing and then immediately stop charging. I had to reposition the car and forcefully bend the cable to get it to align properly. Could have been a similar issue.

Last edited: