Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BC and (new) Referral Program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else missing their miles?
Yes. I just checked the app and mine don’t show up. I have used them a couple of times in the last two weeks so I know they were definitely there and working. I am planning to visit the local supercharger later today and I’ll see if I get charged or not. Then I will inquire/complain with Tesla to see what’s going on. I had 7500 km due to using someone’s referral link to buy my M3 but I have not had anyone use my link so these should stay as far as I understand the BC situation.

I hit the supercharger last night and was charged to my visa, my free miles were on my account on June 23, that was the last time I supercharged and it was free. I called Tesla service and they said they had lots of calls and he thought it was probably just a glitch and it should be sorted out in a few days. He did not seem to have any actual knowledge other than people calling in to complain, so I put very little weight on what he said.

I'm also missing my miles....and when I talked to ppl on live chat...I was told my balance has gone down to 0, which is impossible. I had 7500, used 2xx over the long weekend....

hopefully it's just a glitch, I sent an email to referralprogram, will keep you all posted.

I called Tesla because I just got charged for supercharging at Pacific Centre Mall (I have 7500 kms due to referral in May. The guy at Tesla said the Canadian Government told Tesla to pull the program, hence why it’s gone from our account. It’s Tesla vs the Canadian government on this particular referral program.

I hope this is resolved soon and we get our free supercharging reinstated, or if it doesn’t I hope Tesla does something for us. This is over promising.

There are many Tesla owners in downtown Vancouver that live in condos that use the super chargers and this was a huge perk.

I called Tesla because I just got charged for supercharging at Pacific Centre Mall (I have 7500 kms due to referral in May. The guy at Tesla said the Canadian Government told Tesla to pull the program, hence why it’s gone from our account. It’s Tesla vs the Canadian government on this particular referral program.

I hope this is resolved soon and we get our free supercharging reinstated, or if it doesn’t I hope Tesla does something for us. This is over promising.

There are many Tesla owners in downtown Vancouver that live in condos that use the super chargers and this was a huge perk.
You've gotta be kidding me. So the people that already have the supercharging km's also get screwed? Ridiculous.

Mine disappeared July 4. They were there on July 3. As I could not reach anyone at Tesla by phone, I went to the Tesla store in West Vancouver and talked to a rep about it. He said every Telsa owner in BC will have all of their free supercharging KM's removed if they haven't been already. The problem stems from a rule from the New Car Dealers Association of BC, which has been in place since last August. It forbids anyone (Tesla owners) from offering incentives to buy a new car except a dealer. Tesla is a member of that Assoc.

One reason I bought my Model 3 in May was for the 7500 KM's I would get and I factored that value into my decision. I had only used about 100 Km's. They have literally just added hundreds of dollars to my purchase price after I bought it.

He said every Telsa owner in BC will have all of their free supercharging KM's removed if they haven't been already. The problem stems from a rule from the New Car Dealers Association of BC, which has been in place since last August. It forbids anyone (Tesla owners) from offering incentives to buy a new car except a dealer. Tesla is a member of that Assoc.

Sigh. If we'd known this was coming, we could have "moved" to Alberta with a few keystrokes.

Write your MP. Mine is Bowin Ma (North Van). This is an anti-competition and a consumer protection issue. They promote green energy. Now the turn around an let another interest group (Taxi vs Uber) dictate the rules.

contrary to my post a few hours ago where I said this cost me hundreds, this cost me thousands. I based my decision on buying on 7500 KM of gas for my (4Runner) truck. That would have cost me $2000. That is money Tesla just stole from me. That is theft and fraud.

Reactions: Vawlkus and chr.lee
So when do we start our letters to the BC government? We want to win roadsters and model Y's and supercharging miles! Some of us have worked hard for our referrals and given many test drives haha

TL;DNR

I think a possible “fix” could be an amendment to the Motor Dealer Act. Add the following paragraph to the definition of “salesperson”.

(c) “salesperson” does not include a person who in the expectation of a fee, gain or reward, refers a person to a salesperson or refers a person to a motor dealer.

FULL VERSION

Back on June 27 I outlined the statutory and regulatory basis for this decision.

No referral rewards for BC residents now

I suggest the Act is being improperly, and too strictly, applied.

I think the glitch is in the section that reads,

“salesperson" means

(a)an individual, other than a motor dealer, who, on behalf of a motor dealer and for or in the expectation of a fee, gain or reward,

(i)solicits, negotiates or arranges for the sale of a motor vehicle to a person, or

(ii)in any way participates in the soliciting, negotiating or arranging for the sale of a motor vehicle to a person,

Tesla owners who give a referral code are being captured by that.

Consider who is not being captured by that.

Every day people are participating in “the soliciting, negotiating or arranging for the sale of a motor vehicle”. They do this in advertising in every newspaper in BC. They do so “on behalf of a motor dealer and for or in the expectation of a fee, gain or reward. The newspaper owner expects to be paid by the motor dealer for the advertising and the employees who do the work are paid from the proceeds of that payment by the motor dealer. Yet no newspaper or employee of these newspapers is deemed to be ineligible to receive their compensation for their effort at work.

I understand why there is a need for regulation of car salespersons. Buying a car is a major purchase. For most people it is the largest type of purchase except for their home. It is reasonable to think that people who are trying to convince others to make such a major purchase should be regulated.

It is unreasonable to think that a person who simply refers a person to a “motor dealer” or “salesperson” should be disqualified from receiving any consideration from the “motor dealer” or “salesperson”.

I think a possible “fix” could be an amendment to the Act.

(c) “salesperson” does not include a person who in the expectation of a fee, gain or reward, refers a person to a salesperson or refers a person to a motor dealer.

This would not have to entail significant legislative time. In pretty much every legislative session there is a bill called something like the “Miscellaneous Statutes Amendment Act”. It includes minor tweaks to various laws. This kind of change could be made in a Miscellaneous Statutes Amendment bill in the next session.

Reactions: marcn and Vawlkus
Write your MP. Mine is Bowin Ma (North Van). This is an anti-competition and a consumer protection issue. They promote green energy. Now the turn around an let another interest group (Taxi vs Uber) dictate the rules.

contrary to my post a few hours ago where I said this cost me hundreds, this cost me thousands. I based my decision on buying on 7500 KM of gas for my (4Runner) truck. That would have cost me $2000. That is money Tesla just stole from me. That is theft and fraud.

I’m grumpy about this too but I don’t blame Tesla (other than their lack of communication) since this seems to be a BC legal issue. And at the end of the day I still have an amazing electric car. If I had been able to use 7500 km of supercharger credits I figure it would have saved about $150 over home charging for all of those ($135 if you use 150 w/hr per km and charge at $0.12 per kw/hr). That’s the number I would use to compare, not thousands since it’s not free vs gas at the end of the day but free vs home or level 2 charging.

Reactions: P2AT and phtp
TL;DNR

I think a possible “fix” could be an amendment to the Motor Dealer Act. Add the following paragraph to the definition of “salesperson”.

FULL VERSION

Back on June 27 I outlined the statutory and regulatory basis for this decision.

No referral rewards for BC residents now

I suggest the Act is being improperly, and too strictly, applied.

I think the glitch is in the section that reads,

“salesperson" means

(a)an individual, other than a motor dealer, who, on behalf of a motor dealer and for or in the expectation of a fee, gain or reward,

(i)solicits, negotiates or arranges for the sale of a motor vehicle to a person, or

(ii)in any way participates in the soliciting, negotiating or arranging for the sale of a motor vehicle to a person,

Tesla owners who give a referral code are being captured by that.

Consider who is not being captured by that.

Every day people are participating in “the soliciting, negotiating or arranging for the sale of a motor vehicle”. They do this in advertising in every newspaper in BC. They do so “on behalf of a motor dealer and for or in the expectation of a fee, gain or reward. The newspaper owner expects to be paid by the motor dealer for the advertising and the employees who do the work are paid from the proceeds of that payment by the motor dealer. Yet no newspaper or employee of these newspapers is deemed to be ineligible to receive their compensation for their effort at work.

I understand why there is a need for regulation of car salespersons. Buying a car is a major purchase. For most people it is the largest type of purchase except for their home. It is reasonable to think that people who are trying to convince others to make such a major purchase should be regulated.

It is unreasonable to think that a person who simply refers a person to a “motor dealer” or “salesperson” should be disqualified from receiving any consideration from the “motor dealer” or “salesperson”.

I think a possible “fix” could be an amendment to the Act.

This would not have to entail significant legislative time. In pretty much every legislative session there is a bill called something like the “Miscellaneous Statutes Amendment Act”. It includes minor tweaks to various laws. This kind of change could be made in a Miscellaneous Statutes Amendment bill in the next session.

Good point. Is there a way we can include this in a group change.org kind of approach so we can have a unified message?

Good point. Is there a way we can include this in a group change.org kind of approach so we can have a unified message?
I suggest that a change.org approach might be counterproductive.

The interest is pretty narrow. There aren’t a lot of Tesla owners in BC. Many of the Tesla owners wouldn’t even know about the referral program. Many of those who do know about it might not care because they figure they would never benefit from it.

Having a change.org “campaign” that gets 100 signatures from a BC population of 4,800,000+ would look pretty pathetic.

I suggest that individuals writing to their MLAs, with copy to the Minister of Public Safety and Solicitor General, Minister Mike Morris. That minister is responsible for the Motor Dealer Act. Copying to George Herman, Minister of Environment and Climate Change Strategy might be appropriate too.

This might have stronger impact as each MLA would know that the issue is of significance to the letter writer who is a constituent.

• Informative
Reactions: P2AT
I’m missing my credits as well. I was making my way to Cali and my credits were still active on July 3rd at 3pm. My credits disappeared at 5:30pm at the next super charging stop. I’m pretty upset as that was only about 500km into my trip. Round trip is about 4500km. I’ve called and support rep was puzzled and forwarded an email to the Referral Program department. I also sent them an email. They really need to honour the credits...I don’t understand how they can do this.