Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BC and (new) Referral Program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spoke with someone at VSABC today. I got the telephone number from their website.

Contact Us - The Vehicle Sales Authority of BC

The person said they are familiar with the situation regarding purchasers of Teslas.

The person distinguished that from the VSABC's position regarding referrers receiving an incentive.

I described that I had made my decision to buy a Tesla while I was on vacation. I researched on my own and made the decision to buy independently. I then learned that I could receive 7500 kilometers of charging if I used a referral code. I found a referral code and used it.

I received the 7500 kilometers on the day of delivery. The kilometers disappeared about July 3.

I said I wasn't sure whether this was because Tesla has misunderstood some direction from VSABC or whether VSABC had given them direction to do so and they complied.

The person said they could not provide a conclusive response. The person who makes a determination is the Registrar whom I understand to be Ian Christman.

The person did some investigation and called me back. They said that this is the first they have heard of this aspect of the Tesla referral program, i.e., the denial or revocation of charging hours involving a purchaser.

She said she will have someone from their Consumer Services Team contact me in the next day or two to learn more so that they can investigate further.

(I had the sense that nobody really knows what is going on. :) )

Good work! So everyone in BC has their free kms removed from the loot box?

Good work! So everyone in BC has their free kms removed from the loot box?
It appears so, based on these tweets;

Regarding the Supercharging km which are no longer in your Loot Box, we understand this experience may be disappointing. Our intention is only to provide an exciting yet equitable experience for all Tesla owners. Needless to say, this situation is currently being reviewed /1

Tesla Owners VI on Twitter

We are terribly sorry for any confusion this matter has caused. Your ongoing feedback and support is greatly appreciated. Thank you for helping accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy! /End

Tesla Owners VI on Twitter

I had a meeting in my MLA's Constituency office yesterday about this. I just heard back from that that they have confirmed confirm that the Vehicle Sales Authority is indeed under the umbrella of the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General and thus Min. Farnworth. They will be looking into what recourse may be available and will be in touch. He also advised that they have had another inquiry from another Tesla owner. Everyone needs to contact their MLA's now!

Apparently, Andrew Weaver drives a Tesla. I wonder if he has checked his free KM's. :)

Reactions: Vawlkus
This explain so much, I was wondering why I was getting billed for supercharging! I emailed them but haven’t heard back. The free 7500 km I received was part of the purchase, then it got removed without warning. Is that even legal? Has anyone done the calculations as to what that represents in dollars?

I don't equate to the value of the electrons from the Supercharging. I equate it to the savings in gas it would have cost me to drive 7500 Km. Knowing I was getting that value as part of the purchase, was a deciding factor in actually buying. At the projected gas prices this summer and the poor L/100Km my 4Runner gets, $2000 is not far off the mark.

By my math, you're losing out on around $400 worth of supercharging or $107 of charging at home.

For the LR AWD, you get around 495KM on 75kW. That works out to 6.6km/kW. With 7,500km that's around 1,136 kW. The superchargers will do 72kW/hr so at $0.44 tier 1 rate, that's around $0.36/kWh. I've seen my car charge as low as 30kW as the battery gets full. If we just take something in the middle (say 45kW) at the tier 2 rate of $0.22 it's around $0.29/kWh.

The first 80% is going to be at the tier 1 rate and the last 10 (assuming you charge to 90%) will be at the tier 2 rate. If you assume you don't go below 10% SoC you're going to be charging from 10%-80% at the tier 1 rate and 80%-90% at the tier 2 rate. If we assume you're going to utilize the 1,136kW worth of supercharging in the formula above, 70/80 at tier 1 is $358 plus 10/80 at tier 2 is $41. The total of that is $399.

At home, BC's rate is now $0.0945/kWh so if you needed to charge 7,500km at home it would cost $107.

Reactions: BEPA400
I don't equate to the value of the electrons from the Supercharging. I equate it to the savings in gas it would have cost me to drive 7500 Km. Knowing I was getting that value as part of the purchase, was a deciding factor in actually buying. At the projected gas prices this summer and the poor L/100Km my 4Runner gets, $2000 is not far off the mark.

This caught my eye the first time you wrote about it but I just didn’t care enough to try to understand it. Your equating it to gas savings seems to be a pretty... umm.. well, a pretty big misunderstanding on your part. Am I missing something here?

You bought the model 3, and whether or not you have free or paid supercharging, you ARE saving the gas money. The only question is whether or not you have to pay for the supercharging.

It’s not reasonable to assume residential electricity rates to calculate supercharger value.

Fast charging is part electricity, and part service. It is a flawed argument to suggest that the value of the service is zero.

There is no single value you can assign to supercharging km’s because they charge different rates based on the power output.

So I thought!

Well I did the math from my Hope BC Supercharging session, attached, It’s $0.045/km.

CBE99373-6E45-406A-8926-2DFE5F691FC8.jpeg

(Assuming my model 3 SR+ Standard 135Wh/km which Tesla uses to convert between % and km battery status display - I hope that’s correct)

I also tested 150 wh/km, gives $0.05/km.. and 180wh/km, gives $0.06/km.
It’s all about $0.33/kWh, roughly three times the residential tier 1 BC rate.

So 7500 km is indeed between $300-400. Well, based on the hope supercharger.

Regardless of the supercharger rates varying by location within B.C., you will not come up with a value anywhere near $2,000.

Last edited:
Yes, you are missing the entire point. You do the math anyway it works for you. I would have not bought the car if I did not have the supercharging KMs. I was on the fence. My MLA understands my math. Are you even from BC and have you lost your free KM's?

Wish I had clarified, my question would be best answered by someone other than you. Your position is clearly stated.

Where I’m from and whether I lost km, has no bearing on my non-emotional and logical statements.

Approx 1 hour to charge my SR+ fully (50 Kw.). Each fill cost of 13.20 based on Tier 1. 7500/50*13.20=$1980
Correct?
No! Units are a PITA.

Your units are messed up. You’re dividing 7500km by 50kwh.
You should divide 7500 km by the km range that the 50kwh is equivalent to.
So more like 7500/385*$13.20=$257
That’s a pretty rough calc though. I’m not sure you would actually get all 50kwh for $13.20. I got 38kwh or 281km range for $11.44. Using your formula that would be
7500/281*11.44=$305 for 7500km.

Reactions: phtp
No! Units are a PITA.

Your units are messed up. You’re dividing 7500km by 50kwh.
You should divide 7500 km by the km range that the 50kwh is equivalent to.
So more like 7500/385*$13.20=$257
That’s a pretty rough calc though. I’m not sure you would actually get all 50kwh for $13.20. I got 38kwh or 281km range for $11.44. Using your formula that would be
7500/281*11.44=$305 for 7500km.
Thanks, I stand corrected.
I had recieved 15000km so i lost $600.

You bought the car based on a incentive kms that have a time expiry ? Floor mats that aren’t included are worth more lol

It was a nice kicker.

Last edited:
. I lost $2K. Tesla promised me that. I bought the car, they took it away.

To be correct you would say ‘Tesla took away my 7500km free charging’ and I sympathize with you. They should reinstate it for buyers at very least.

To say that 7500km revoked supercharging is worth $2,000 because that is how much you would have spent on gas.. is priceless.

I’m really hoping to explain this to you, because I feel bad for you to have such a backwards understanding of the scenario. How about this.. when did you spend that $2,000 on gas?

Oh wait, this is a troll thing right? Dang.. got me.

Reactions: llluis and hiener