Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Be aware of ICE Bullies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My point is that CA isn't interested in making money from the HOV sticker. They only charge you a $22 one time but every time you go across the bridge for 4 years you pay 50% less for toll. That's not the same thing as someone only stealing half your money. It's the same thing as paying $22 for a coupon you can use unlimited amounts of time for 4 years and paying half of what you would have to otherwise. If you don't understand how CA loses out on revenue then you don't understand basic economics.

In basics yes, although some cases it might alter the route depending on the price. Seattle is good example, I-405 has variable fee for the faster ETL/HOV lane. If it's really cheap, I use it more often. If the fee is high, I sit in the traffic.

Then if I got 50% discount on the fees, I would use them more often. Don't know if it'd be more or less than 2x usage, but for sure more than today.

....I've been there once before they went online and again last week just to try out the charger. I believe that the signs next to the charging stalls note that it's preferred parking for Tesla charging, so others are allowed to park there if they wish.

Unfortunately this is something that we probably can't do much about, given the signage. I'm going out there in about an hour to charge up my car (lost about 40 miles of range in the 8 days I was gone). I'll get a photo of the area and post it.

There are photos already posted of the signs at the Almaden/Cherry San Jose Supercharger forum area and now see someone posted one above, and yes, it's not Charging Dedicated. However that being said what kind of sm.ck goes out of their way to park in a spot that clearly is intended for Tesla EV charging when they don't have a Tesla, aren't charging and with tons of other empty spaces in the parking lot and those much closer to the stores? Says SO MUCH about that person. That really is my point and I do get that the way the laws and enforcement are presently these type of people can and will keep doing it.

Re: California - Elon's loop system is going to solve all this HOV lane nonsense for once and for all.
Re: Icing an EV charging spot - Elon's Tesla Pickup is going to outclass all the other pickups to the point where those people currently playing silly beggars are going to be buying electric anyway.

Reactions: jboy210
My point is that CA isn't interested in making money from the HOV sticker. They only charge you a $22 one time but every time you go across the bridge for 4 years you pay 50% less for toll. That's not the same thing as someone only stealing half your money. It's the same thing as paying $22 for a coupon you can use unlimited amounts of time for 4 years and paying half of what you would have to otherwise. If you don't understand how CA loses out on revenue then you don't understand basic economics.

I grew up in a communist country, I totally get your basic economics. I had to study the same red books they teach from in CA. :)

Of course, whether the State is entitled to that revenue is a different story.

As is the reality that charging based upon mileage and vehicle weight would be a WHOLE lot more fair than overcharging EV owners.

But that would make too much sense.

I have no problem with the state collecting toll for bridges. Bridges require constant maintenance.

In 2000, crossing the bridge was $1. It’s been $6 for some years now, they’re constantly bitching that it’s not enough (despite vastly more traffic and revenue) and the maintenance needs are the same.

And, after all these years, you can’t even pay the toll with a credit card. Must have cash or pay a fine.

You see where I’m going with this ...

If not, I’ll bring up the two decades of taxes Livermore has paid to bring Bart over, only to be told “oops, can’t do it anymore” some 5 years ago. :)

Last edited:
In 2000, crossing the bridge was $1. It’s been $6 for some years now, they’re constantly bitching that it’s not enough (despite vastly more traffic and revenue) and the maintenance needs are the same.

And, after all these years, you can’t even pay the toll with a credit card. Must have cash or pay a fine.

You see where I’m going with this ...

If not, I’ll bring up the two decades of taxes Livermore has paid to bring Bart over, only to be told “oops, can’t do it anymore” some 5 years ago. :)
It's $7 on the bay bridge as of 1/1/19 and they got approval to increase it to $10 over the next 5 years. According to NACE the annual direct cost of corrosion for highway bridges is estimated to be $13.6 billion. I'm almost positive they are running a deficit. The government is not good at keeping a balanced budget.

They should take credit card, no idea why they don't. However, I still think the New England area is worst. I got a fine when I visited New England driving a rented car because the only payment option is EZ-Pass which of course I didn't have because I was just visiting.

Don't even get me started with BART. It's by far the worst ran organization I can think of. They've gotten approval to extend the line from Fremont to San Jose (a whopping 20 miles or so) back in 1981 and it still hasn't happened.

Seems like this is all about fear - fear of the past or the future. War, violence, it's all about fear. So nowhere.

Tanks and guns won't stop wars. Got to understand why wars start, go from there.

I gotta be kind to Tesla haters. It's the only way. Gotta be cool. Don't be a Tesla Dork.

If the juice spots are filled with haters, move on. It's just how it is. Soon, they'll be juicing too.

Or try to talk with them. Try to understand why they're up to what they are. But I get that's like trying to talk someone down off the ledge.

Peace and love,

Reactions: SD_Engnr
They should take credit card, no idea why they don't.
Probably has to do with them having to raise tolls even more to cover the credit card processing charge/fee. Also the transaction time would greatly increase leading to backups at the toll booth.

Don't even get me started with BART. It's by far the worst ran organization I can think of.
That one may be traced back to the origins of the system when TPTB decided to use Westinghouse computer systems to run everything. You know, the home appliance manufacturer.

mod note: off topic discussion of profanities moved to snippiness.
nice and thank you, but this is probably why I am not a moderator. :) I would permanently remove profanities and nasty comments to others. This is the wife, not my Navy veteran, so maybe I am more sensitive to these things. Those posts make it no longer fun to be here so I only come in to look for a solution to a problem and try to avoid all the rude people. There are many.

Reactions: outdoors
I've opened this new thread to point a finger at, and be aware of ICE bullies- those inconsiderate a$%^*holes who purposely park at EV chargers, and at Tesla's in particular!

You are encouraged to catch them in the act and publish their pictures in this thread.

images

https://vehicleofthefuture.wordpress.com/?s=EVSE+Violator&submit=Search

Aside from people targeting/bullying EV owners, it's an interesting conundrum in the sense that EV charging is often in parking lots close to the storefronts. In busy parking lots where spaces are hard to come by, I can see ICE cars being tempted to pull in. Until local traffic/parking enforcement starts citing that, it will continue to happen. In order for citations to be issued, you're expecting traffic enforcement to be able to easily differentiate ICE and EVs, which is a taller training order than it may at first seem.

I print my own "citation" (California) and leave in driver's side window...
Here's a template of 10 on 8.5x11.

Attachments

• California%C2%A0Vehicle Code Section%C2%A022511.pdf
    28.4 KB · Views: 125
California Vehicle Code Section 22511.1
(a) A person shall not park or leave
standing a vehicle in a stall or space
designated pursuant to Section 22511
unless the vehicle is connected for electric
charging purposes.
(b) A person shall not obstruct, block, or
otherwise bar access to parking stalls or
spaces described in subdivision (a) except
as provided in subdivision (a).

I had someone spit tobacco on my M3 at a local Cracker Barrel when we went in for lunch a few weeks ago. They tried to aim at the door handle, just missed...
I don't understand the angst. It's an American built car, built in the USA, by Americans!
What's the deal?

Is there a thread for EV bullies too?
I don’t know that we can call them Tesla Bullies, but we have a lot of poorly educated, selfish, thoughtless people driving all models and leaving their vehicles in charging spots for hours to days without charging or after charging has been completed. Until the infrastructure is up to accommodating all of the Teslas that are not on the roads, we all have to be diligent about moving our vehicles out of charging spots as soon as possible once charging is complete.