Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Be aware of ICE Bullies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regarding the Chinese woman in the video:
I have a mental disorder which compells me to watch endless car crash and road rage videos on YouTube.
I have come to develop quite a feel for the differences between cultures and have the following I can offer the community:
Russia: impatient, lawless and highly weaponised
China: high rage levels and prefer property damage
Korea: similar to China but more likely to fist fight
US: often degenerates to physical violence, but surprisingly careful to avoid scratching paint
Australia: verbal abuse
Japan: calmly exchange insurance details

The funny thing about Japanese is that there's not even one single good curse word on the language. The worst they can say in Japanese is "poop" くそ.

So...the folks that pull out our charging plugs....they EV or ICE bullies: Towed Teslas at SFO, after getting unplugged?
Realize that other EVs have indicators that show whether they are charging. Tesla elected not to do that. Many drivers of other EVs assume that a Tesla is through charging because there are no blinky lights, so they unplug to use the cable. True, they often could look at the EVSE and see it is still in use, but they do not.

• Informative
Reactions: T-Mom and TQCLove
In order for citations to be issued, you're expecting traffic enforcement to be able to easily differentiate ICE and EVs, which is a taller training order than it may at first seem.
I was just in Hawaii for the past week. All of the EVs have a special license plate noting it's electric. I'm surprised that CA hasn't mandated the same thing. I totally would not mind trading in my personalized plate for one which notes I'm qualified for EV parking spots.

The San Jose (Almaden/Cherry) location recently opened and my husband stopped there. Stalls are far from Bass Pro Shop or much else and he told me when he stopped by there were two ICE vehicles in the stalls.
I've been there once before they went online and again last week just to try out the charger. I believe that the signs next to the charging stalls note that it's preferred parking for Tesla charging, so others are allowed to park there if they wish.

Now mind you the rest of the parking lot around there is totally empty. The jerks are always out there.
Unfortunately this is something that we probably can't do much about, given the signage. I'm going out there in about an hour to charge up my car (lost about 40 miles of range in the 8 days I was gone). I'll get a photo of the area and post it.

Beware about pining for enforcement of EV charging laws. Realize that in Arizona it is against the law for anyone not a resident of the state to pull into in any EV charging spot, including Superchargers.

Not really. EV's are exempted (obviously). Also, I don't see any exemption for residents of Arizona. It's illegal for an ICE vehicle to park in spots for EV charging stations. Even if they are on private property. Minimum fine: $350.

Can you please cite a reference to the vehicle/civil code where that's spelled out?

Arizona Revised Statute 28-876.

Parking spaces for electric vehicles; civil penalty A person shall not stop, stand or park a motor vehicle within any parking space specially designated for parking and fueling motor vehicles fueled exclusively by electricity unless the motor vehicle is powered by electricity and has been issued an alternative fuel vehicle special plate or sticker pursuant to section 28-2416.
If a law enforcement officer finds a motor vehicle in violation of this section, the law enforcement officer shall issue a complaint to the operator or other person in charge of the motor vehicle or, if an operator or other person is not present, to the registered owner of the motor vehicle for a civil traffic violation.
A person who is found responsible for a violation of this section is subject to a civil penalty of at least three hundred fifty dollars. Notwithstanding section 28-1554, the civil penalties collected pursuant to this subsection shall be deposited in the state general fund.

I'm pretty sure that vehicles not registered in Arizona as "alternative fuel" vehicles are exempt from the requirement they have been issued an altenative fuel vehicle special plate or sticker.

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy
Arizona Revised Statute 28-876.

Parking spaces for electric vehicles; civil penalty A person shall not stop, stand or park a motor vehicle within any parking space specially designated for parking and fueling motor vehicles fueled exclusively by electricity unless the motor vehicle is powered by electricity and has been issued an alternative fuel vehicle special plate or sticker pursuant to section 28-2416.
If a law enforcement officer finds a motor vehicle in violation of this section, the law enforcement officer shall issue a complaint to the operator or other person in charge of the motor vehicle or, if an operator or other person is not present, to the registered owner of the motor vehicle for a civil traffic violation.
A person who is found responsible for a violation of this section is subject to a civil penalty of at least three hundred fifty dollars. Notwithstanding section 28-1554, the civil penalties collected pursuant to this subsection shall be deposited in the state general fund.

I'm pretty sure that vehicles not registered in Arizona as "alternative fuel" vehicles are exempt from the requirement they have been issued an altenative fuel vehicle special plate or sticker.
The law is clear, in spite of the intentions behind it. You have to have a designated plate or permit.

My point in my original post was that the law was not being widely enforced exactly as written, and that is a good thing for those drivers passing through. Obviously the authors had no concept of an EV road trip.

So a branded painting on the ground, calling out one particular brand, is going to let Kia owners know they're welcome to charge too? The point was about the Tesla logo.

How about we put up signs, and paing a charger symbol on the ground, and leave branding out of it since that would also require licensing of the brand. Either way, this is a solution for a pretty rare problem right now. Unless you live in Connecticut, but that's more to do with the people than anything else.
It would also help Kia owners, because it would save them fruitlessly trying to plug a Tesla supercharger cable into their Kia.
We are talking about superchargers here, not general use chargers. I’m hoping that’s where the confusion is coming from.

As I posted earlier, the signage at San Jose - Cherry Ave. (Bass Pro) lot allows general parking:

20190106_224438.jpg

It also does not seem to be a "safe and friendly" spot for late night charging in that there's no lights on in the lot (at least right now; 11pm on Sunday). There are a couple of street lights nearby but they barely provide enough illumination for the road.

I’m surprised that kid that races all the hillbillies in his P100D hasn’t been beat to death yet.

In the proper setting, hillbillies actually are intrigued by EVs.

My wife's family has some....characters. When we were in rural VA for Christmas, I brought some of them on joyrides for educational purposes.

The amount of joyful profanities uttered made me smile.

In the proper setting, hillbillies actually are intrigued by EVs.

My wife's family has some....characters. When we were in rural VA for Christmas, I brought some of them on joyrides for educational purposes.

The amount of joyful profanities uttered made me smile.
Yeah for sure. If you watch some of that kids videos...the people he is taking lots of money from likely aren’t his family.