Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Been denied refund on CPO deposit three times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, you're right. It's an order payment, since I didn't get my order I should get a refund.

It's the same way people say that Autopilot should not crash into stationary objects.

"Should" is what we want, what we understand but what counts is what the law says.

For Autopilot, owner's manual says clearly that it can crash into stationary objects.

If we don't want its beta status, we don't buy it!

Back to your deposit. In a legal court, you can tell the jurors that how it should be despite how you acted on when the conditions were clearly spelled out "non-refundable."

What they care is: if you didn't like the word non-refundable, did you strike that word out and replace it with the word "refundable"?

Or you just did or didn't read it and still clicked on the "BUY" button anyway?

Last edited:
Not true.

100% true. I got my deposit refunded.
That was without threatening to go to court.

Please explain to me why you think they can keep your money for a vehicle that is not custom built when they do not deliver the product as advertised or in satisfactory condition to the buyer.

It is not possible if the state you live in has even remotely favorable consumer protection laws.

Did you have yours shipped? I have this complication too.

Yes it was shipped to my local Service Center but this was back when they would ship within a geographical range for free.

If they had to pay to ship the vehicle that may slightly complicate things. Certainly not to the tune of $2500 but there was some expense incurred on their part.

Tam, Patrick, and Mspohr are correct. By clicking on that buy button and making the payment you entered in to a contract with Tesla. The terms of that contract do not provide you with the right to a refund. In many instances, such as Glide's, Tesla has rolled over payments to another vehicle or even refunded payments. However, (generally speaking) they have no obligation to roll over or refund payments. This whole scenario is yet another example of how Tesla's used car buying process is broken. Good luck. Hopefully another sales adviser (if you can deal with another one) or a manager will be more sympathetic and help you out.

Last edited:
Tesla did a lot of work to get the car you ordered sent to you for pickup.
They expressly posted that the money was non refundable.
If they decide to send you your money back it is due to the good gracious of the company.

Hope you get your money back, but I would totally understand it if they refuse a refund in this circumstance.

Looks like the community is evenly split, I'll let you know what happens. I'm not counting on finding anything out tomorrow, but I hope to.

While I agree that you should get your deposit back if you don't like/want the car, I think your case would be stronger if you reject the delivery for cause and request your deposit back rather than request your deposit for no cause/reason.

If Tesla delivers a used car to you undamaged and in great shape, why not just accept the car? After all you did want to buy that car when you put down the deposit.

On the other hand if they deliver to you a car that is damaged and in unacceptable condition I bet few would take the position that you should not get your deposit back as that would be an absurdly unreasonable position to take.

In fact we know from the forum that anyone who rejected delivery because they were delivered a beat up/damaged car was able to get their deposit back.

Of course, all this nonsense could be avoided if Tesla would contract with Kia to sell their used cars as apparently Kia knows how to refurbish used cars, make a profit while doing so, staff the sales operation so customer questions can be answered and treat used car customers fairly by offering a quality product :rolleyes:

Who knows, maybe in the new year Tesla customers will be treated as well as someone buying a used/CPO Kia :D:p:confused::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: bigbear
Looks like the community is evenly split, I'll let you know what happens. I'm not counting on finding anything out tomorrow, but I hope to.

"The community being split" has nothing to do with the "all deposits are non refundable" line under the BUY button. They might refund you, but they absolutely do not have to, regardless of what anyone else is saying here.

Just like if you order a new one and put down a 2500 payment, THAT Is ALSO not a deposit. In fact, it is spelled out very clearly in teslas language that they feel that they have "earned" that 2500 once they go through the effort of matching you with a car and scheduling delivery.

Doesnt mean they dont refund people in this situation, it means they dont HAVE to. This OP should understand that they absolutely dont HAVE to give back the money as it is NOT a deposit. California is one of the most consumer friendly places in the state and there is no such thing as a non refundable deposit in california (which is likely why tesla doesnt call it a deposit).

OP it doesnt matter what anyone here says (me included). What the "community" says related to your refund means Zero. What matters is if you can convince someone at tesla to give you your money back, and THAT is likely going to depend on who you get, AND the tone you take with them.

Reactions: Akikiki
Please explain why anyone is buying CPO from Tesla? The post on here are horrible experiences. I tried it, same pain and this was 2 yrs ago. My agent in Miami wouldnt let me see car and he wouldn't guarantee the condition in writing. It has only gotten worse. Seems Elon and management dont care, or never read these post. One has to do really good, no Great research before buying a cpo car. Then pray its in perfect condition. The financial part is another nighmare. I bought mine from Benz dealer. They were great, oicked me up at airport, took me to lunch, i drove car, we negotiated price sinnce i was paying cash. Paid, drove off in 2 hours. Try that with a Tesla rep. Good luck.

Reactions: PhilDavid