Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Been denied refund on CPO deposit three times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My guess that there is too much pressure from the public for profitability so Tesla might just want to nickel and dime any way they can including making your "order payment" non-refundable.

Yeah also known as penny wise pound foolish.

How much are rejected deliveries and harm to their reputation costing because they refuse to sell cars in reasonable condition with reasonable communication and the reasonable expectation of getting a car in decent shape with quality standards?

How is it that every other car dealer other than Tesla has figured out how to sell used cars in this price range in pretty much impeccable condition while still making quite a decent profit?

How is it going to help Tesla's bottom line when these CPO cars languish for months with monthly depreciation around $1,000-$2,000 per unit because they can't be bothered to clean up the cars, do some light refurbishing, have quality standards, hire a few people to efficiently communicate with customers and treat customers with the respect and consideration deserving of someone about to pay $50,000+ for a car?

If you have an inventory of 2,000 CPO cars, that inventory depreciates about $100,000 PER DAY. If they continue to refuse to sell quality cars and have to deal with disappointed customers rejecting deliveries and asking for their deposits back, what are they going to do in a year when they will have twice as many CPO cars to sell?

Yeah also known as penny wise pound foolish.

How much are rejected deliveries and harm to their reputation costing because they refuse to sell cars in reasonable condition with reasonable communication and the reasonable expectation of getting a car in decent shape with quality standards?

How is it that every other car dealer other than Tesla has figured out how to sell used cars in this price range in pretty much impeccable condition while still making quite a decent profit?

How is it going to help Tesla's bottom line when these CPO cars languish for months with monthly depreciation around $1,000-$2,000 per unit because they can't be bothered to clean up the cars, do some light refurbishing, have quality standards, hire a few people to efficiently communicate with customers and treat customers with the respect and consideration deserving of someone about to pay $50,000+ for a car?

If you have an inventory of 2,000 CPO cars, that inventory depreciates about $100,000 PER DAY. If they continue to refuse to sell quality cars and have to deal with disappointed customers rejecting deliveries and asking for their deposits back, what are they going to do in a year when they will have twice as many CPO cars to sell?
Tesla has no problem selling used cars. They don't have an inventory problem like other car manufacturers which have dealer lots full of hundreds of new and used cars. Tesla doesn't have any inventory to speak of since every car is sold before manufacture and the used car inventory is nil due to demand.
There is always a risk in buying a used car when you can't see it before purchase. I personally wouldn't do this but there is such great demand for these cars that Tesla offers them. In spite of what people say here, you can get photos of the car and a description of the condition. However, some people are very picky and have high expectations (seem to expect "new" condition) and these people shouldn't ever make any commitment (including a "deposit") without seeing the car in person.
It seems the OP is a bit dense in that he has put down money on a used car three times, refused delivery three times and still has not figured out what "non-refundable" means.

I remember when I bought my CPO last month (which was a great experience and I'm very happy, by the way) I read in the contract that the $2500 payment was a service fee for prepping the car for delivery. According to the contract, if you back out of the deal they still incurred a cost of $2500 to get the car prepped so you owe them at least that much.

"Prep" means getting the car moved from the storage facility, doing the basic inspection, preparing the documents, and probably several other behind the scenes details I don't know about. My car was definitely cleaned and touched up so there is the cost for that. If you refuse delivery they are going to have to move the car back to the storage facility and start all over again with someone else. $2500 might be high but I think everyone would agree the cost is not $0 to move and prep a car in a professional work environment.

Tesla is clearly not a traditional dealership. They have some "quirks and features" and I'm OK with that. It was a much better experience than trying to buy a Leaf from Nissan. Nissan is still calling me months later trying to pressure me into buying that car after just one test drive. Their high pressure sales tactics are clever and almost worked on me despite me being adamant I just wanted to see the new Leaf.

• Love
Reactions: Brando and bigbear
I was just reading the title of the thread (which I believe you wrote) which says you were denied refund three times. Are you now saying that you weren't denied a refund three times?

Searching TMC on the OPs user name and reading about previous attempts to purchase sheds a bit more light on the OPs methods regarding purchasing used tesla(s).

True, I just want a Tesla and also OCD.

Being "OCD" (figuratively) about a car is nothing new, its a large purchase for most of us. Where people tend to go wrong is, expecting any USED car (CPO or not) from ANY brand to be in the condition of a new car. Being very particular about a used car, and purchasing online when you can not see it in person, simply dont mix.

If you consider yourself "OCD" in regards to car condition, then you are simply setting yourself up for failure by trying to buy a car online without inspection.

You should be looking at purchasing a new car, or, alternatively a very low mileage non CPO tesla on a luxury dealers lot like mercedes / bmw / audi / lexus so that you can inspect it first, and deal with regular financing etc.

Its very unlikely that you will end up happy with your car using teslas "online" CPO process. When a car is "cheap" there is a reason. Sometimes its a good deal, sometimes its just "cheap" for some reason that you need to figure out if you can live with (maybe someone smoked in it, maybe there are puke stains in it, etc).

People who are OCD about cars either need to spend a LOT of time inspecting their used cars in person, or buy new cars.

My opinion anyway.

• Love
Reactions: Brando
Gosh, chill guys. I understand the law by pressing the 'pay deposit' button, and also understand OP's frustration.
I couldn't remember the exact reason that you are asking for the refund. Is it because of delivery issue like not having set delivery date or just change in mind? If it's something with hiccup of delivery process, either you can patiently wait for Tesla (or pro-actively contact them all the time) or request for refund if you do not satisfy. Some people received refund due to the dissatisfaction of the process anyways but I'm pretty sure it's courtesy call.

If nothing works out and you do not have clue of what's happening to your potential car for long time, maybe claiming dispute under CC is the best bet at this moment. I'm familiar with AMEX dispute, and one of the section that you can choose is 'not satisfied with the merchandise/service'. It is one of the category for dispute.

I really hope things work out for you, especially you are getting the decent price (below 35k, right?)! Good luck and keep post it here.

Reactions: bigbear
Happy it worked out for you. It didn't for me but I did have my prepayment refunded without issues.

I did what one of the previous post suggested. Found 2016 75D AP2 at ICE dealership in Denver. Contacted them on Friday, had all my questions answered, received documents need for financing and flew to Denver on Monday for delivery. Car was exactly as they described it. 10,563 miles and as flawless as anyone could hope for. Very happy oh and didn't place a deposit, prepayment or whatever you choose to call it before inspecting and driving the car.

• Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid
Tesla has no problem selling used cars. They don't have an inventory problem like other car manufacturers which have dealer lots full of hundreds of new and used cars. Tesla doesn't have any inventory to speak of since every car is sold before manufacture and the used car inventory is nil due to demand.
There is always a risk in buying a used car when you can't see it before purchase. I personally wouldn't do this but there is such great demand for these cars that Tesla offers them. In spite of what people say here, you can get photos of the car and a description of the condition. However, some people are very picky and have high expectations (seem to expect "new" condition) and these people shouldn't ever make any commitment (including a "deposit") without seeing the car in person.
It seems the OP is a bit dense in that he has put down money on a used car three times, refused delivery three times and still has not figured out what "non-refundable" means.
What are you talking about? Tesla has HUNDREDS of inventory Model S and X vehicles
Heck I’m test driving one today, unless you’re telling me I’m about to test drive another customers vehicle?

• Love
Reactions: N..8 and PhilDavid