Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Besides SCN, what features (or lack of in 3 ) would make u jump ship from a 3 to a competing brand?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not even free for the 3 and I don't do cross country driving and don't intend to just because I get a BEV.

Sooner or later charging stations will be ubiquitous.

By the time they become ubiquitous (and I include being able to charge very quickly so that a relatively full charge won't take longer than 30 minutes), I'm sure I'll be ready to move on from the Model 3. I'm not tied to Tesla. It's just that right now, and for the foreseeable future, the SC network is the ultimate trump card that all the other companies can't compete with.

If I had a M3 and a competitor offered the following, I’d consider switching:
1. Powered trunk
2. Instrument cluster
3. Better steering wheel design, or even overall interior
4. If build quality was poor on the M3, then I could see myself switching
5. Adaptive headlights (w. always on glare-free high beams)
6. If another automaker delivered L3-L5 before Tesla
7. Faster charging (thinking of Mission-E’s claimed 15 min charge time)

Despite the list above, I have to say, if I were a shopper in M3’s compact premium vehicle segment (I’m not because I prefer large full-size sedans), I would NOT switch away from Tesla for anything unless others were offering FSD and Tesla had us waiting for a long time (I really, REALLY want FSD!).

Reason for that is I really like the idea of Tesla, disruption of status quo, Silicon Valley, and, Elon Musk’s passionate pursuit of addressing humanity’s most consequential matters (w. SpaceX, AI, Tesla) and his successful ability to turn things upside down by not being content with how things are but instead thinking about how they could be (some of his oversights notwithstanding ;)).

I would switch to a Model Y though if looked as good as M3 because it would still be a Tesla!

In the full-size sedan segment though it’s a more difficult choice for me personally because I have also always really really liked big luxo land yatchs lol especially the S-Class which has been perfected over 63 years by the company that invented the modern automobile and has tried to build it as the best car in the world. So I want to have that too. So I guess my dream garage would be a Model 3/Y and a self driving Benz S600 Maybach or Pullman :rolleyes:
696F8014-81AA-4BFB-AD60-1641EB0C4858.jpeg

FCA84D23-86B6-481A-B412-5D6CAB367FA6.jpeg

Sorry for sidetracking, I got carried away a little...

Reactions: internalaudit
Competitive range and styling (better-looking than the Bolt). If Hyundai made a 200-mile Ioniq EV, or Kia makes an EV version of the Stinger, I'd consider either. I was actually close to buying a Soul EV, but the range was just short of my comfort level. If GM would make something with similar range and performance as the Bolt in a more attractive package (i.e. Regal Sportback) I'd consider that, too.

So far, Tesla is the only one that seems to actually care about making their EVs visually appealing.

the team behind the ioniq are real nutters. i am 100% sure there is someone in the ICE management holding them back from putting a ~50% bigger battery and a more powerful motor in the ioniq.

The current Leaf has NO thermal management. It remains to be seen how well the thermal management on the new Leaf will perform.

You didn't hear? The new leaf has no thermal management also.

Why Nissan Has A Trick Up Its Sleeve With The New LEAF
No TMS (Active Cooling) — Another legacy problem, this time not from the platform itself, but from the battery supplier (AESC). Despite some development (higher density, etc.), this is still the same technology found in the current 30 kWh version, which, considering early LEAFs’ degradation problems, could be another dealbreaker for current owners looking to trade in their old units for a fresh face (& boot).

and it's no surprise as several C level and P/VP level employees have said for years now that they wouldn't do active cooling on the new leaf.

I have read most of the above post and have no issue with any that I read. We all have our own wishes and desires ... and that is good.

Personally, I really do not need a new car right now. So for me .... it's a Tesla 3 or nothing.
My reservation position would suggest delivery in late 2018 or early 2019. That is fine with me.

Reactions: internalaudit
the team behind the ioniq are real nutters. i am 100% sure there is someone in the ICE management holding them back from putting a ~50% bigger battery and a more powerful motor in the ioniq.

The sandbagging is even worse on the Honda Clarity EV. Only 89 miles range for a brand-new midsize EV is ridiculous. 125 miles is short-ish, but somewhat acceptable, but I think 200 miles has essentially become the new minimum range threshold. Honda, like Toyota, has been drinking the hydrogen Kool-Aid for a while. To make too good of an EV would make their H2 program look bad.

I believe the 200 mile BEV, along with the Kona and Stonic (?) was already announced.
Hyundai Confirms 200-Mile EV For 2018, 250-Miler For 2020*

Today, GM announces two more BEV offerings, one like a Buick:
GM Promises Two New EVs in 18 Months, Plans All-Electric Future
GM: "At least" 20 New EVs To Debut In Next 5 Years, Two in Next 18 Months

Consumers win and perhaps a few others who can successful transition to making nice reliable BEVs.
Electric Cars Will Create Many "Losers", But Consumers Win Big

We only drive 5-6k miles per year, mostly city and never really take road trips (wife prefers to fly), so SCN isn't really a variable for us either way. Increased delays with the 3 and a growing sense of frustration/disappointment with what I've been seeing from pics and reviews is starting to wear away at my 3 enthusiasm. The car is cool, but it isn't nearly as cool as I thought is was even prior to the final reveal in July.

The new A4 isn't looking too shabby, nor is the 2018 Accord. Not EVs, but if my delivery window of Jan-Mar2018 slips by more than a month, I may just end up biting the bullet and leasing an ICE until 2020-2021 when more EV options should be available.