Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best 19 tires replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have some 19" Falken Azenis FK453 installed on my S and they are FAR more quiet than the Goodyears they replaced, and other loaner cars I've tested.

My previous noise benchmark was the Primacy, but these Falkens may actually be slightly more quiet, particularly at highway speeds. Ride quality is also great over small road imperfections, but a little more harsh over the big potholes. Almost as good as Primacy. This is coming from a high performance summer tire with endless grip and a lovely driving experience.

Traction is just fine below 40F, in fact it's far better than my all season tires were at those temps if it was dry. Much shorter braking distance and better grip. More safe than the all seasons at 30F dry. In the ice, I was suprised to find my all seasons (the horrid oem Goodyear RS-A2) were not much better than these summer tires in the actual snow. I would never reccomend using summer tires in snow, but honestly it felt no worse than crappy all seasons.

Range wise, I haven't bothered to look but I wanna say they are barely less effecient. I maybe see a difference of 1 or 2%, almost within the realm of error...

Reactions: Struja
I'm about to pull the trigger on some 19" Yokohoma AVID ASCEND GT 245/45R19 for my MS 75D to replace my OE Goodyear Eagle Touring tires... These seem relatively new, but have an awesome 740 tread ware rating and a 65,000 mile treadlife warranty. They also start with 12/32 of depth, so should actually last a long time and perform decently well in the snow.

Has anyone tried these yet? I'm planning to get them installed Thursday...

• Helpful
Reactions: mambro
I'm about to pull the trigger on some 19" Yokohoma AVID ASCEND GT 245/45R19 for my MS 75D to replace my OE Goodyear Eagle Touring tires... These seem relatively new, but have an awesome 740 tread ware rating and a 65,000 mile treadlife warranty. They also start with 12/32 of depth, so should actually last a long time and perform decently well in the snow.

Has anyone tried these yet? I'm planning to get them installed Thursday...
Interested to hear how these go for you. Treadwear and noise level are important to me, but these are not LRR tires, so anxious to hear about range impact as well.

Interested to hear how these go for you. Treadwear and noise level are important to me, but these are not LRR tires, so anxious to hear about range impact as well.

Getting them installed tomorrow, so will let you know.

I've got lots of data in teslafi to compare to.. though range wise, I also have roof racks (ski racks in winter, bike racks in the summer) and a bit of a lead foot that affect my range quite a bit more than I suspect any tires would... should still be able to see a delta if there is a noticeable one though!

• Helpful
Reactions: BerTX
3D9E70B2-4CEA-40A3-A3FA-A3DA7CB2BF89.jpeg
Got them installed... so far so good!

Any reports on road noise and energy consumption?

I haven’t heard any increase in road noise.

Possible increase in energy consumption is harder to quantify so far, as these tires coincided directly with some of the coldest days of the year so far. I will try and compare to comparable days from previous years and report back with some more data in the coming days.

• Helpful
Reactions: Struja and BerTX
I haven’t heard any increase in road noise.

Possible increase in energy consumption is harder to quantify so far, as these tires coincided directly with some of the coldest days of the year so far. I will try and compare to comparable days from previous years and report back with some more data in the coming days.
I had the OE Goodyear's as my 3 seasons tire and I thought they were just okay for road noise. I know they had the internal foam for sound but I never found them to be super quiet.

I'm very interested to hear how the Yokohamas do for you. I have a '15 S70D, and Tire Rack is really recommending these on their guide. Thanks!
Same interest here. :) I'm needing tires installed before the weekend is over. Tire Rack's rating is starting to sway me from the Pirelli P7's, but the volume of data (miles/reporters) Tire Rack's report is based on is so much smaller than the P7s.

Same interest here. :) I'm needing tires installed before the weekend is over. Tire Rack's rating is starting to sway me from the Pirelli P7's, but the volume of data (miles/reporters) Tire Rack's report is based on is so much smaller than the P7s.

Yeah, the Yokohomas are newer tires; have only been out a few months I think.

I'd say go for it; they come with a 30 day money back guarantee (including covering your mount/balance costs), so I'd say the risk is pretty low.

Reactions: mambro
Casavant said:
Hi all
Anyone looking into or tried the primacy run flats? I like the idea of a RF, but cautious of noise and range issues
Not on Tesla, but I've had run flats on a BMW 650ix and X5s. While I too like the idea of RF, over time, they were like riding on whiskey barrels. I went to non-RFs as soon as the RFs were worn. Have a "Slime Kit" in the trunk (and towing service as part of my car insurance policy). HUGE difference in ride quality. :)

Hi all
Anyone looking into or tried the primacy run flats? I like the idea of a RF, but cautious of noise and range issues

Not on Tesla, but I've had run flats on a BMW 650ix and X5s. While I too like the idea of RF, over time, they were like riding on whiskey barrels. I went to non-RFs as soon as the RFs were worn. Have a "Slime Kit" in the trunk (and towing service as part of my car insurance policy). HUGE difference in ride quality.

Run Flat tires offer the worst possible combination of compromises... terrible ride quality, poor handling, stiff sidewalls and limited utility.

• Funny
Reactions: Tezzie
I'm about to pull the trigger on some 19" Yokohoma AVID ASCEND GT 245/45R19 ... Has anyone tried these yet?
Thanks for posting this! I got a set installed today. Coming from Turbines with very worn tires, right rear at 0/32, these 19" Yokos are a delight. My 25 miles today is waaaaay too early to tell, but I've got nowhere to go but up from that. ;)

Thanks for posting this! I got a set installed today. Coming from Turbines with very worn tires, right rear at 0/32, these 19" Yokos are a delight. My 25 miles today is waaaaay too early to tell, but I've got nowhere to go but up from that. ;)

Big outstanding questions from me for these tires are:
1) Range Impact
2) Snow Performance

We're expecting some snow tomorrow, so should be able to test that this weekend and report back how they do. One thing to note: Even though these are likely to have very good snow/ice performance (for all season tires), they do NOT appear to be M+S or "snowflake" marked. So, if you drive in places like Lake Tahoe with chain laws in the winter months, these tires may not qualify to be used without chains on those roads!

Will also report back on range impact once I have some more data.