Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best 19 tires replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious about the temperature: is this the temperature taken from the car only during driving periods? Or average ambient temperature for your region?

Also how would you rate the Yokos as far as road noise and comfort vs. goodyears or MXM4's? (not sure what you last had on the car)

Temp is the average exterior temp as measured by the car (while driving). TeslaFi polls and logs it every minute.

My OEs were the Goodyears, have only driven MXM4 on a few loaners for very short periods.

RE road noise, I'd rate the Yokos as slightly better (quieter) than the OE Goodyears. Same RE "comfort" (car seems to ride a bit softer with the new tires, which is nice, as I found the ride pretty harsh with the OE Goodyears + Air Suspension... the improvement is not huge though, but definitely noticeable).

I have a 2014 Model S P85 (single motor, No AutoPliot), with 166,720 miles, and just installed my 4th set of tires today.

My home is in west Georgia, so I don’t drive in snow, but travel a lot with the possibility of going up north in winter time, so have chosen All Season tires. I’ve experimented a bit with brands and types, but have always stayed with 245/45 19” tires.

Have been trying to find a balanced tire with good traction, not too noisy, and have been tracking energy consumption on an ANNUAL basis.

With the 1st & 2nd tire sets, had trouble with wheel spin on hard acceleration at low speeds, but solved this with the 3rd & 4th sets. (I enjoyed the 3rd set so much that bought similar ones for the 4th set.)

Shown below is a table with the results:
Avg. Annual
Energy Usage
Set # Brand Model Type Specs Ecology Life (Watt Hrs/Mile)

#1 Michelin Primacy MXM4 Grand Touring 700 AA/A Green X 48,935 292
#2 Pirelli Cinturato P7 Grand Touring 700 A/A Ecolmpact 62,627 296
#3 Continental ExtremeContact DWS Ulta Hi-Perf 560 AA/A Not Green 55,158 304
#4 Continental ExtremeContact DWS Ulta Hi-Perf 560 AA/A Not Green ???

Notes:
1: The Cinturato P7 set got noisy at 40,000 miles. Replaced them at 62,627, but they would have given probably 70,000.
2. The ExtremeContact DWS06 are virtually impossible to spin!
3. The ExtremeContact Energy Usage was about 3% higher than the Pirelli's or about 4.4% more than the Michelin's.

Hope this info is helpful!

Here is the above post with improved formatting!

I have a 2014 Model S P85 (single motor, No AutoPliot), with 166,720 miles, and just installed my 4th set of tires today.

My home is in west Georgia, so I don’t drive in snow, but travel a lot with the possibility of going up north in winter time, so have chosen All Season tires. I’ve experimented a bit with brands and types, but have always stayed with 245/45 19” tires.

Have been trying to find a balanced tire with good traction, not too noisy, and have been tracking energy consumption on an ANNUAL basis.

With the 1st & 2nd tire sets, had trouble with wheel spin on hard acceleration at low speeds, but solved this with the 3rd & 4th sets. (I enjoyed the 3rd set so much that bought similar ones for the 4th set.)

Avg. Annual
Energy Usage

Set # Brand Model Type Specs Ecology Life (WattHrs/Mile)

#3 Continental ExtremeContact DWS Ultra Hi-Perf 560 AA/A Not Green 55,158 304
#4 Continental ExtremeContact DWS Ultra Hi-Perf 560 AA/A Not Green ???

Notes:
1: The Cinturato P7 set got noisy at 40,000 miles. Replaced them at 62,627, but they would have given probably 70,000.
3. The ExtremeContact Energy Usage was about 3% higher than the Pirelli's or about 4.4% more than the Michelin's.

Here is the above post with improved formatting!

Avg. Annual
Energy Usage

Set # Brand Model Type Specs Ecology Life (WattHrs/Mile)

#3 Continental ExtremeContact DWS Ultra Hi-Perf 560 AA/A Not Green 55,158 304
#4 Continental ExtremeContact DWS Ultra Hi-Perf 560 AA/A Not Green ???

Notes:

Is that with mostly highway miles? I'll be lucky to get 20k out of my MXM4s and I don't even have a performance model.

Yeah, the Yokohomas are newer tires; have only been out a few months I think.

I'd say go for it; they come with a 30 day money back guarantee (including covering your mount/balance costs), so I'd say the risk is pretty low.

I am really enjoying the ride with the Yokohama Avid Ascend GT - the wet traction is far better than the Goodyear OEM tires.

I used to race Yokohama tires on my cars (when I was younger) and really love their racing and advanced road tires. I was surprised that they have a sporty GT.

Reactions: appleguru
The new Bridgestone TURANZA QUIETTRACK also look really interesting for long life all season tires.

So far though, have been very happy with these Avid Ascend GTs!

I echo this about the Avid Ascend GT's, which is the tire I bought (after reading about them here) and then doing my own research.

In my own, completely unscientific findings, I can report back that my Avid's out perform my old Good Year OEM's in EVERY category, EXCEPT range.

I still have not seen them in the warmest days yet, so I still might be jumping the gun, but I don't have any actualy data to show but just looking at my WH/KM since I got these, I seem to be running consistently a bit higher than the Goodyears.

So, on really warm day if I drove the car really easy I would get 148wh/km and now in similar conditions I'd be in the mid 150's. Not exactly science but I do notice a slight decrease in range.

So it teams from this thread, the top tires people used here are (not in any specific order)

1. Avid Ascend GT
2. michelin primacy mxm4
3. pirelli cinturato p7
4. michelin pilot sport as 3 plus

Of them which offer

The best energy
- Winner?

The quietest
- Winner?

The best Handling
- Winner?

So a quick update. After putting about 2k miles on these tires so far, I have seen a decrease in range of approximately 5%. I am still working on normalizing the data for route, driving speed and temperature, which may help paint a more clear picture. But ignoring any such normalization, here is the data from teslafi showing the last 3 months this year on the avid ascend GTs vs the same period of time last year on the OE tires.

And a reminder to everyone... I have roof racks on my car year round, and a bit of a lead foot... so not exactly winning any efficiency awards to begin with here.

Avid Ascend GT:
View attachment 396288
OE Goodyear:
View attachment 396287

After a few thousand more miles, the difference seems to be dropping to closer to 1%... (Again, numbers over the same time period 1 year apart).

Avid Ascend GT:
avid.png

OE Goodyear:
oe.png

The new Bridgestone TURANZA QUIETTRACK also look really interesting for long life all season tires.

So far though, have been very happy with these Avid Ascend GTs!

It does look interesting, but with hardly any reviews, it's not easy to pull the trigger on these right away. Since the focus seems to be on noise, longevity, and comfort, I'm anxious to hear how these handle on a Tesla. Otherwise, I've been leaning towards replacing my Goodyears this month with PureContact LS based the Tire Rack pro and customer reviews, or maybe the Premier A/S, both of which are considerably less than these Bridgestones.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=PureContact+LS

It does look interesting, but with hardly any reviews, it's not easy to pull the trigger on these right away. Since the focus seems to be on noise, longevity, and comfort, I'm anxious to hear how these handle on a Tesla. Otherwise, I've been leaning towards replacing my Goodyears this month with PureContact LS based the Tire Rack pro and customer reviews, or maybe the Premier A/S, both of which are considerably less than these Bridgestones.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=PureContact+LS

After reviewing this and a few other tire threads I decided to swap my OEM Goodyear Eagles for the Bridgestone Quietrack and am very very happy with them. Only about 500 km so far, so I can't comment of longevity but they are rated up to 130,000 km (I think the Model S 19' version is 80,000 km, which is more than reasonable for my needs) so I'm guessing they are pretty confident about durability.

Bridgestone has a 60 day swap option if you are not happy, so that helped mitigate the lack of feedback on an otherwise new tire. Any new tire ought to be better and quieter than a worn set, but my Eagles were only there years old and used three-seasons (I swap for proper winter tires), so the noise at 30,000 km's was inexcusable for a purportedly quiet, low rolling-resistance tire. The Quiettrack doesn't have the foam liner of the Goodyears but it is so much quieter than the OEMs we compared it to: my car, my wife's Michelins (ICE CUV) or loaner Model S 's I've had from the Service Centres.

Not a scientifically valid survey but a quick check over the last 500 km shows "normal' driving uses less energy (quick math is 5-8% for restrained/rush hour use) compared to the same route on the OEM tires (the weather is about the same, same roads, traffic is busier, so all of these affect kW/hr use) on tires before they are broken in. Same drives but with a heavier right foot is about even with the OEMs from 1 and 2 years ago when they too were in prime condition. Again, not a super detailed compare - rather a gut feel based on TeslaSpy reports and two months of 'before & after" notes. Overall very happy and I'll keep track of energy use over the summer holiday season to see if it changes. Hope this helps.

After reviewing this and a few other tire threads I decided to swap my OEM Goodyear Eagles for the Bridgestone Quietrack and am very very happy with them. Only about 500 km so far, so I can't comment of longevity but they are rated up to 130,000 km (I think the Model S 19' version is 80,000 km, which is more than reasonable for my needs) so I'm guessing they are pretty confident about durability.

Bridgestone has a 60 day swap option if you are not happy, so that helped mitigate the lack of feedback on an otherwise new tire. Any new tire ought to be better and quieter than a worn set, but my Eagles were only there years old and used three-seasons (I swap for proper winter tires), so the noise at 30,000 km's was inexcusable for a purportedly quiet, low rolling-resistance tire. The Quiettrack doesn't have the foam liner of the Goodyears but it is so much quieter than the OEMs we compared it to: my car, my wife's Michelins (ICE CUV) or loaner Model S 's I've had from the Service Centres.

Not a scientifically valid survey but a quick check over the last 500 km shows "normal' driving uses less energy (quick math is 5-8% for restrained/rush hour use) compared to the same route on the OEM tires (the weather is about the same, same roads, traffic is busier, so all of these affect kW/hr use) on tires before they are broken in. Same drives but with a heavier right foot is about even with the OEMs from 1 and 2 years ago when they too were in prime condition. Again, not a super detailed compare - rather a gut feel based on TeslaSpy reports and two months of 'before & after" notes. Overall very happy and I'll keep track of energy use over the summer holiday season to see if it changes. Hope this helps.
Very interesting. If you were to put a swag percentage on noise reduction, what you estimate?

Any thoughts with respect to cornering/handling/braking compared to the Goodyears? I'm still giving these some consideration.

As I'm currently looking at these for my car, I'm hoping you can answer some of the recent questions...